cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing old caulk

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
I can deal with old dried crumbly caulk, with gummy like caulk that you can peal up. I am having difficulty with very very sinewy caulk. Goo gone did not do it. Paint thinner supposedly threatens the surface around, I've heard controversial things about using a heat gun- so I have no solution even with all the special tools. I end up making a mess, part out , part still intact and a bad area thus for adding new caulk. This is all about the side not the top. Thanks Doug
4 REPLIES 4

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
All ^good points. This is my first time and i find myself forgetting something or making some kind of mistake each time out. On the other hand, for a guy who has not been handy, I am proud of myself and $1000 better off since it did not go to camping world for the work. Doug

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ I scrape the ugly discolored stuff off the surface and I stop when I get down to the good viable stuff, underneath, and then I put a layer of new caulk on top.
As far as a solvent that cuts the caulks fairly well w/o dissolving the everything else... I've had good luck with naptha or lo-vol mineral spirits, depending on the type of caulk. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the caulk is not dried and crumbling and does not peel off, why remove it?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ja, heat gun. I used mine on some old chalk a week ago and it pealed right off. I'm going to redo the chalk on my camper over the next month.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper