Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: basic driving skills
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> basic driving skills

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to get new RVers to practice changing a tire too. Guess they’d rather learn on the side of the road.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jim-Linda

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not quite same subject, but when we got new Santa Fe at first tire replacement, we had Discount Tire junk the fake spare and replace with full size wheel and tire. Been 5 years and no flats, but still check tire pressure on spare with others.

Jim

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@jrscooby, and with your in depth knowledge of changing tires, you carry every size socket you hope will fit your ragged out lug nuts?
That right there is funny from a guy handing out advice about changing tires!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And last I checked, your story is about maintenance or repair skills.
That is unless they were driving the truck while trying to change a tire! Lol.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talking about "spare tires" Many new cars do NOT have even a donut spare, only an inflator kit with slime.

And I know several such vehicles that people I know have and almost all of them did not know the car had no spare tire.

Or the cars that have donut spares and the spot for it is to small to put the real tire in. So if you do have a flat, hope you've got lots of extra space in the back or the passenger is going to have a flat tire on their lap.

And first thing I did with my mercedes with the long lug bolts was to replace them with stand head bolts w/o the extension on them.

And the lug wrenches on lots of vehicles, especially trucks are pretty short for the amount of torque needed 150ish ft/lbs.

I suspect lots of people don't even know where tire changing tools for the car are located, let alone know where the jack points are.

My mercedes came with hinged wheel chocks, really a clever implementation. So I went on ebay and got a couple to put in our other vehicles. The fold down flat but flip open making a nice wheel chock.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the other hand, flats are much less common than they used to be. When I first started driving, I used to get a flat tire every few years. It's been over 20 years since I had a flat tire that left me stranded (and that time, it was both tires on one side, so the spare didn't help me). I've had slow leaks/punctures since then, but have always been able to pump up the tire and get to a tire store.

I've got the tools to replace a flat in my Class C, but unless I was stuck somewhere outside of cell range, I'd call roadside service if I got a flat.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those wheel lugs have got to be the dumbest thing Mercedes ever did. You get one of those suckers broke off either get out a wad of money or get ready for a time consuming job. + you need a replacement wheel. I may change cars before tires wear out but if not as much as I hate the thought I'll cut it off.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I presume the discussion is about putting the spare rim w/tire on instead of the rim with flat tire, not actually changing tires? (I have a friend who runs a mobile tire service and often gets asked why he charges so much to change tires...at which point he has to confirm what's being requested since he does both rim swaps and tire changes).

Back to topic....I do as the OP suggested for all of my vehicles. Nice sunny day, beverage of choice nearby, walk through the process of getting the spare setup, switching rims, putting the bad rim/tire where the spare used to be, etc.

...and all my vehicles have a 4-way spinner. I can bust loose the lugs on all my vehicles (except the F550) with the factory lug wrench, but easier with the 4-way.

....and although I know how to do it, between circa October and May, if I'm in the general Los Anchorage area, it's worth the $50 to me (assuming a good response time) to have my buddy send out a guy to swap the spare.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first tire change did not go perfect either. I give credit for the continued effort with eventual success. Plenty would walk away and call for assistance.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

tire change ...... Plenty would walk away and call for assistance.

After hopefully revoking their own man card, permanently!

* This post was edited 11/12/21 01:37pm by Grit dog *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> basic driving skills
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.