Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What I like about tent camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> What I like about tent camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Igotaname

Jacksonville

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the advantages of tent camping that I like is finding camping space. I go to some of the national parks, state parks and national/state forest and there is always sites set aside for tents. This is great when you get that urge to get away. They are rarely booked solid. With the trailer there is a long wait you have to reserve for.
I also do overlanding in the national forest. With that said I sometimes sleep in the back of my truck bed enclosed with a topper. Has any one tried this?

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you are real camper!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many, Many years ago, but now my old, abused, body much prefers the comfort of my class C.
Of course you have to sacrifice some measure of freedom of tent camping, you can still go Boondocking, hiking & site seeing with an actual RV, but you give up the spontaneity of grabbing a back pack and tent and just going.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was going to have my wife answer that question-What I like about tent camping. Her answer-Nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY FOR SURE NOTHING!!!!!! I had always tent camped. When we first got married I borrowed my parents popup for a weekend(luxury for me) She informed me when we got home that she would 'camp' with me but only if she had a microwave, bathroom and a real bed to sleep in. Good thing she was really hot and had many, many other great qualities. [emoticon]

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a tent, I can take my Porsche on some amazing NORCAL mountain roads and *truly* enjoy the drive to my destination. A tent, as others have noted allows for far more choices of camping spots. Just give me flush toilets and a hot shower and I'm good.

Just bought a new stove today.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One half of all my short term camping/fishing trips is tent/truck camping and the other half is with a TT. I am 75 and still going strong on outdoor stuff as it keeps me healthy along with kayak fishing, uphill hiking and stair climbing several times a week.

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband, son, son-in-law and grandson love tent camping together. Each year they go for a weekend in January for a winter camp and sometimes hunt.
Our first summer trip after we were married we traveled about 600 miles on a motorcycle and camped throughout the trip. The following year we were going to tent camp and I decided to wash the tent before we used it...it rained and you know how that ended. My last experience was when we hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up. There is a campground about halfway down. I now stay home when they tent camp. Yikes!!

bcbouy

100 mile house

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we used to tent camp every weekend but the issue we had was the with spontaneity.it just took too much to do a weekend fishing getaway.too much time packing and setting up camp.we eventually transitioned to a pop up truck camper and were happy with it for a few years.now we sold the camper for a new travel trailer and a couple electric fishing kayaks.we retired this year and plan to travel most of the warmer months.truth be told i still miss the tent camping but i'm older and creakier now and the check engine light comes on much easier.

2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/21 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last tent I slept in it was Olive Drab color; never again.
P.S. you might have to be a vet to understand :-)

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A long long time ago I and group of guys on our team would go to Grand Isle and fish, crab, etc. I slept on a picnic table on the beach one night. Sleeping in the car on the beach was considered a luxury. I did sleep in the back of a truck with cap once. Today most of those guys are deceased. Slept one night in a two man pup tent with ice on the inside deep within the Atchafalaya swamp. Oh to be young again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> What I like about tent camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.