cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I think I am beginning to understand...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been RVing for 15+ years, started with a hard sided Aliner popup. Went to a 22' TT for 4.5 years before trading it in on a 24' Class C. Then added a couple of open trailers to tow my motorcycles ending with my current {and last} a 6 X 10', 8' tall cargo trailer.

Never had any interest in a Class A, fiver or truck camper until... My friend stopped by our place in Arizona with his truck camper and cargo trailer {that's my Cargo trailer back behind his}:

As you can see his truck is a long bed F-350, 7.3L diesel with a very nice TC pulling his 12' cargo trailer. We were very impressed with this set up. His trailer hauls his Harley Road Glide and a nice Yamaha dirt bike, mountain bike and a bunch of other stuff. I was already on board with the cargo trailer thing as ours works well {25K miles on it in the last 3+ years}. I haul either my Can Am Spyder or Polaris Rzr SXS, BBQ, LP cylinder, firewood and assorted tools and toys in addition to the buggy or bike.

I have no need for a truck large enough to be viable for a TC, I get by just fine with my Honda Ridgeline but really had my eyes opened to the possibilities that only a truck camper brings to the RV equation. No plans to change as our setup works great, is paid for and I will be 70 in a couple of weeks {old dogs and new tricks kind of a thing}. Might just have to start poking around the TC threads which could be dangerous... film at eleven!

:B
16 REPLIES 16

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My basement Fleetwood had tons of cabinet space and huge countertop.
We have never been weight savers, when coming from bus conversion I pulled over 2000 lb of camping stuff, but that camper had more storage that we would use, even on Alaskan trip.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Deb and Ed M wrote:

Biggest drawbacks to a p/u TC: even less storage space (no overhead cabinets). The climb in and out of a small door. However, IMO, the ability to go where a large SUV can fit, is priceless! And we were able to camp in some incredibly-beautiful places along the Oregon coast!

that depends on the model. I have overhead cabnets above the sink and stove, and all the way across the ushaped dinet. all the newer ones I have been looking at have lots also. for me the biggest drawback is the lack of outside storage, but I have found a few models that have a ton of that also.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
When considering any type of truck camper, bear in mind that "the truck is everything".
Never buy a truck camper without first studying the truck requirements for safely handling the camper weight.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
For clarification: There is not one perfect RV, so I did add some plus and minus attributes of truck campers.

But you can make perfect RV for your current needs.
Our big TC were good when we've been on 9 weeks long trips across the America.
But since we signed off those long trips from our bucket list, I found Sprinter van with bus style front door, so I have convenient entrance that even old, small dogs can manage.
18 mpg helps in making fast trips to our family, who spread in 3000 miles circle.
Bottom line, your needs change and the perfect RV criteria change.
When I never plan to go on rough roads, Sprinters also come with 4WD.
The biggest negative for me with TC was that DW would not drive the behemoth. She just fly with the same length van.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We had driven to Portland, OR to visit my daughter and her family - we had a popup truck camper and boy, was I glad for that! Daughter's small cars couldn't carry all of us to the interesting places she wanted us to see/visit, so we followed with the truck/TC. Daughter CLEARLY had no concept of where an RV can or cannot go - but narrow, steep roads with low overhanging branches (or tight urban streets) simply didn't pose a problem and we visited some amazing places!!

Biggest drawbacks to a p/u TC: even less storage space (no overhead cabinets). The climb in and out of a small door. However, IMO, the ability to go where a large SUV can fit, is priceless! And we were able to camp in some incredibly-beautiful places along the Oregon coast!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Bedlam
For clarification: There is not one perfect RV, so I did add some plus and minus attributes of truck campers.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks opnspaces. I did not notice the minus sign.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I was very happy with my 2000 F250 7.3L diesel with slide in camper for many years and thought it may be our last truck camper setup since it was in good shape and only had a bit over 100K miles. Then my wife had her second knee replacement and could not handle the overhead bunk any more. So at 70 we sold the combo and bought a Class B. That was 3 years ago, the camper part suits us ok but the 5.4L gas engine does not have the pulling power I was use to when I pull my 12' enclosed trailer. Just more things to consider.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
pianotuna wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
I think Bedlam was talking about ground clearance. Most of the roads in the Western US have really high clearances in any case. I think itโ€™s from clearing wide paths for fire trucks and log trucks.

His last point:

'-Taller than many Class C's "

He does mention better ground clearance.

I think TC's are able to go where even a 4 wheel drive class C can't. Drive in on two wheel drive--and back out on 4 wheel.

Don't overlook the minus sign in front of Taller than many Class C's

He put a plus in front of the positives and a minus in front of the negatives.

+Larger tow ratings
+4wd and diesel options
+Taller chassis clearances
+Ability to drop camper and use only the truck
-Less living and storage space
-Higher cost per square foot
-Higher climb into camper or bed
-Taller than many Class C's
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
Don't let your age stop you. I was 78 back in June (79 now) when I traded in my 5th wheel which I'd had for 11 years and bought a new truck camper. Since then we have used it for 42 nights, about a third of the time I've owned it.
To be fair, I owned 6 truck campers before the 5th wheel so I knew what we were getting into.
As long as you're mobile, go for it before its too late.:)
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
In Virginia (and other states I'm sure) a TC is considered cargo and not a vehicle. Thus, no tags, inspection, or personal property tax on TCs.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh425 wrote:
I think Bedlam was talking about ground clearance. Most of the roads in the Western US have really high clearances in any case. I think itโ€™s from clearing wide paths for fire trucks and log trucks.

His last point:

'-Taller than many Class C's "

He does mention better ground clearance.

I think TC's are able to go where even a 4 wheel drive class C can't. Drive in on two wheel drive--and back out on 4 wheel.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam,

I don't see taller as an improvement--so long as one does not bang their head on the ceiling.

I'm thinking of low hanging branches--and the vent in my bathroom that fell on its sword. (In my lower than yours class c).
Regards, Don