cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Learning Question, from a previous thread

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, There was a thread running, now closed, by someone requesting a Solar Subforum.

I asked a question if anybody had a link to help me learn more about Solar. The thread was closed right after that, and someone emailed me with a link.

Unfortunately, I didn't bookmark that and the email is gone.

I'm getting confused about what is needed to make a good solar system, if the person who emailed me could resend, or anyone else with a very good solar system understanding and learning link would put it up here, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I recently added the whole upgrade system to our new to us RV. I learned the most from an older explanation online and there are several links to it from other pages. jackdanmayer.com
I described and as always got great input here. Solar install so far
I was looking for the diagram I used and clicked on images in my Google search and realized that search made it easier to find several how-to pages. I am usually not willing to sit through a video if I can find a written how-to. Maybe just me.
I searched for rv solar combiner box and to get just diagrams: โ€œrv solar controller isolation diagramโ€.
I also write a blog although it is mostly about energy efficient remodeling of my house. RV Solar Install
And I bought the system from Northern Arizona Sun and Wind But I only used the major components and purchased the wiring components from Amazon and I already had some of them.
Even if itโ€™s more expensive to add a solar system than you will ever return in actual electricity gained I have never read of anyone who regretted the install. I had an RV for 10 years and just used a small solar panel and usually boondocked. So itโ€™s a luxury installation in many ways.
Hope this treatise helps you!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Itinerant1,

Thanks for the clarification.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
BFL13 wrote:
"thats a case of a improperly set up system"

So if the weatherman adds more days in a row like that, it's your fault for not having anticipated him by adding more panels. Got it! ๐Ÿ™‚

no, but it does mean you havent set up your battery capacity to deal with more than two days of bad weather. more panels would help you recover faster when the flooding goes down... hope you are all safe down there.

I had just moved from Colwood to here when I bought my 5th wheel so my trailer I traded in was already set up for a week of island winter camping and I didnt have solar, so all batteries. when I bought the 5th wheel I just transfered that over and added solar.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
What is psoc? Something state of charge?

Partial state of charge. Not fully charged (100%) for long periods of time. Anywhere from 7 to 30+ days between fully charging the bank back up.

Uhm...maybe partial depth of discharges would of been better worded.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a heads up: If you buy a new RV then any modifications you make will very likely cause warranty coverage denial in that area if even remotely related. Think a roof leak on the opposite end of the panels for example.

So have a dealer install? They probably don't know how to spell solar but they will do it anyway and you may well have to fix what they did...

Just saying.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OkieGene wrote:
I plan to install Solar in my new rig (Shopping now) and I also want to establish a 2nd and independent system for my Ham Radio operation. I want to be able to take my portable station out away from the rv and run it while operating ham radio, you guys who are hams will understand.
One option is to start learning now with a portable battery, solar panel and of course your radio. Battery in a case with voltmeter is common but step up to a battery monitor. Now you'll better understand that the RV system depends upon you to best supply the solar requirements. It's common for someone to start with a smaller system and keep expanding.

Install this battery monitor for $44 with a 350A shunt in the new rig to really understand your RV usage with some typical camping. https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Battery-Monitor-Voltmeter-Motorhome/dp/B07CTKYFTG?th=1

As a ham most likely you will quickly understand and focus what you need/want. As I posted a battery monitor was my first purchase for the RV. I've never regretted that and I jumped to 750W, serial connected panels, raised panels for better shade tolerance and MPPT controller. I definetly didn't want to follow many prior installs with 12V panels and PWM controllers.

73's W7BE Bob
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is psoc? Something state of charge?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
A few days like this in a row brings out the generator for us. Good to hear it never happens to anybody else! ๐Ÿ™‚ (That was in May up-Island )

It happens to the best of us, if the generator is needed for a hold over charge so be it.

Spring to fall pretty easy going all the time without the generator living off the solar unless a couple days of heavy overcast skies.

The real test of the system comes from November to February living off of it, there can be some long stretches of psoc with morning soc lows at 25-30% while still using whatever in the 5th wheel. ๐Ÿ˜‰
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
OkieGene wrote:
I plan to install Solar in my new rig (Shopping now) and I also want to establish a 2nd and independent system for my Ham Radio operation. I want to be able to take my portable station out away from the rv and run it while operating ham radio, you guys who are hams will understand.

Later!

RFI can be a big curse. Both MPPT and PWM do pulse wave modulation. I suggest contacting the makers to find out what sort of numbers they may have. If battery power will do the deed--then switch off the input to the charge controller.

Don't switch the output side or you may end up with a poor doorstop.
Regards, Don

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

I'd like to install my own so I will know more about it, how it works and is set up, and how to fix and update as needed. I might hire some guys to get on the roof and install the panels, maybe, but I definitely want to do the rest myself.

Later!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all know how it works in real life, kidding aside. You can have 2000w of solar with a sky like in the photo and it won't help. Once the sun comes out, you have to recover the battery bank while still running the RV. Now having more solar will help.

If you only have enough solar to get by on the mostly good days, you now can get back to doing that, but the batts are still down and sulfating so you need more than enough to get by. How can you get them back up if your roof is too small? Easy, carry a gen to do the recovery.

I did ask the OP what his plan was and said it "depends". It is all scenario. You can go camping off grid under the trees in mostly cloudy short days in January here, and solar will do nothing at all for you. It is all about how big is your battery bank for how long you are staying and recharging with the gen/charger during gen hours in the park.

In the Class C we have now, I can drive out in the open during the day and get some solar plus alternator charging to help a little. Still trivial in AH compared with usage. In the nicer half of the year the solar is much better if you can get in the open and use it.

Scenario is everything! The OP needs to answer the initial question, "What is a good system" for his scenario?" by stating the scenario. Then we can easily suggest what he can do.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
BFL13 wrote:
AH in from solar vs AH out is like

โ€œAnnual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result miseryโ€

Good analogy.

Nice looking 5th wheel. Where are the panels?

I run out of water before I run out of power.
Regards, Don

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
BFL13 wrote:

So if the weatherman adds more days in a row like that, it's your fault for not having anticipated him by adding more panels. Got it! ๐Ÿ™‚

I am no expert. There is a limit to how long one can withstand cloudy days. However a well set up system can be designed to holdout until the sun returns when parked in an open field.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.