Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution Hitch Trailer Brackets

avarusbrightfyr
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I just got my weight distribution hitch, and one of the things I'm wondering is should I leave the brackets that attach to the trailer frame on all the time. Is it something anyone would bother to steal? I know they'll go after the actual hitch if you leave it on the truck, and I plan on leaving that part in a secure location, but what about the trailer brackets?

Thanks!
2019 34' Minnie Plus Travel Trailer
San Diego, CA
8 REPLIES 8

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
slider45 wrote:
We thought of removing it as well until we realized they are not aftermarket options.

You have factory wd brackets on your trailer ?
What kind? Never seen that beforeโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
We thought of removing it as well until we realized they are not aftermarket options.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
No, just no.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since 2003 I have left my brackets of the Equalizer WDH on the TT frame in long term storage yards in Texas and Nevada and traveled all over the western USA and no one bothered them and they were bolted on if I correctly recall. Back then the hitch cost only a 140.00 I think. Except for Nam I was born lucky I guess. But you are right they will steal anything and sell on craigslist.

avarusbrightfyr
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I figured, but you never really know what people might steal. Figured I'd better check if it's a common thing before just leaving them on there. Much appreciated!
2019 34' Minnie Plus Travel Trailer
San Diego, CA

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
your propane tanks, electric jack and battery are a much higher value to someone than the snap up brackets!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If theyโ€™re easily removeable and youโ€™re in a sketchy area, Iโ€™d remove them, only if you think thereโ€™s more of a market for brackets (their isnโ€™t. Think value to a tweaker which = flip for drugs or cash (for drugs) or useful for living under a bridge or making drugs)
But your propane tanks and batteries will be gone in a heartbeat and likely trailer broke in and ransacked long before someone steals some nondescript chunks of metal.

Hereโ€™s how tweakers thinkโ€ฆ..Bought a nice enclosed trailer for a new project at work.
Within a week of it being parked on the new job (Spokcompton = Spokane) it was vandalized, attempting to break in. But it was locked and both sets of doors were blocked by backing up to a solid wall and parking a loader bucket next to side door so couldnโ€™t open it more than a few inches.
We emptied valuable contents into a conex and left it unlocked for a month or so after that. No issues, nothing good to steal. Iโ€™m sure it was rummaged through as almost every weekend tweakers tear apart our yard fence.
Fast forward a week ago. Bring trailer back over with more tools. Nowhere to store tools until another conex is shipped over.
Was there 2 nights. Parked same way as first time. (With heavy steel puck locks and brackets added to doors). Side door was damaged considerably this time. Couldnโ€™t get it open without cutting puck lock brackets off AND moving the backhoe with bucket against the door. Yet they tried bending the bottom half of the door open like zombies.
We also get batteries stolen regularly. And fuel siphoned.

Point is, your brackets are safe, unless they disappear along with the trailer. Especially with propane and batteries there as bait.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lol. There isn't much of a market for the brackets. Leave 'em on.