cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chrome and Edge Freezing with white screen

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
This is happening on laptop. Once the white, blank screen on both edge and chrome appears only way to fix is to turn completely off. Not able to do anything once the blank white screens appear. Also laptop is telling it is compatible with windows 11 and do I want to download. Is 11 a good deal? No cost to download? Thanks,
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
13 REPLIES 13

Gdetrailer wrote:

There are a lot of "risk adverse" folks (many on this forum) that believe that one must use only the newest supported OS, install every single update, newest drivers, etc prevent the one in ten billion chance of a security flaw wreaking havoc on ones PC or network.

Security patches while they patch a specific known flaw, often end up creating new flaws or breaking functionality of the OS or software.

This is a risky proposition for anyone. One should not delay installing critical security patches for OS, browsers, or software. Keeping multiple software/OS un-patched increases risk of a breach by 3X.

Case in point, over 67% who got the WannaCry ransomware were not infected by social engineering, but by exploiting un-patched Windows 7 systems. WannaCry used a critical OS vulnerability to provide a gateway into user systems allowing admin privileges. Bypassing security software to run the malware. Fair to say, the last thing one wants to see their hard drives encrypted, with a screen demanding money or files deleted, just by procrastinating installing security patches.

This is taken so seriously, that U.S. Gov networks don't permit un-supported OS/software running by policy.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:

thanks for that info, GDetrailer. My older Toshiba will probably be due for replacement in a few years, anyway, and I may opt for an entirely different OS, such as ios or Chromebook. Who knows? ๐Ÿ™‚

There are a lot of "risk adverse" folks (many on this forum) that believe that one must use only the newest supported OS, install every single update, newest drivers, ect to prevent the one in ten billion chance of a security flaw wreaking havoc on ones PC or network.

Security patches while they patch a specific known flaw, often end up creating new flaws or breaking functionality of the OS or software.

It is for that reason most IT groups in companies large enough to have a IT group will have their own Windows Update server, then set all of their PCs to use the companies update server.

Then when MS pushes a update, the IT group gets notification, then they will TEST that update on a virtual environment to see how the update works and if it causes issues with all approved company software BEFORE pushing that update to their company Win update server.

Its called QA..

Most security flaws however do not come from the OS or software, it comes from the operators firmware (brain). Yes, PEOPLE is the biggest security flaw.

In the IT world, it is known as "social engineering".

See SOCIAL ENGENEERING (from Malwarebytes.com)

From link above..
"What is social engineering?

In computing, social engineering refers to the methods cybercriminals use to get victims to take some sort of questionable action, often involving a breach of security, the sending of money, or giving up private information. These actions tend to go against our better judgment and defy common sense. However, by manipulating our emotionsโ€”both good and badโ€”like anger, fear, and love, scammers can get us to stop thinking rationally and start acting on impulse without regard to what weโ€™re actually doing.

To put it simply, if cybercriminals use malware and viruses to hack our computers, then social engineering is how they hack our minds.

Social engineering is always part of a larger con, taking advantage of the fact that the perpetrators and their victims never have to meet face to face. The main objective usually involves getting the victims to:

Give up usernames and passwords.
Install malware on their device.
Send money via electronic fund transfer, money order, or gift cards.
Authorize a malicious software plugin, extension, or third-party app.
Act as a money mule for the purpose of laundering and transferring illicit funds."

Folks click on anything and believe anything without hesitation and that is the biggest issue.

Use a few simple rules like do not blindly click links in emails even it comes from what appears to be a legit source like family, friends or businesses. VERIFY via other means before clicking or agreeing to something.

Contact the source via a known phone number (not the one in the email), via a known email address (not the one in the email or replying directly from that email) or go directly to the known website for the company via your web browser (once again not clicking the link in the email).

The bad guys are smart, they often will get look alike web addresses that often just have one letter changed or a numeric number added. They can easily spoof and fake out emails to make it look like it came from someone you know..

As far as replacing your personal equipment goes, well if it is worn out (like broken screen on laptops), starts having hardware failures or the OS version does not support a browser of a high enough version to access websites or support new software/hardware you want to install then it is time to consider a newer machine.

How you go about replacing is a highly subjective matter, some go to MACs, some stay with Windows PCs, some to Android based items like a Chromebook.. Each one has plusses and negatives and some have limitations, but be aware that each choice slurps up huge amounts of your personal information and browsing habits now days.. Some choices much more of your personal life data is captured and used without your knowledge.. Your personal data is big business and often is the biggest driver that pushes MS, Apple and especially Google (Android and Chrome is Googles own baby) to push new OS versions.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
My Windows 10 laptop isn't upgradable to W11, so I'll use W10 until the 2025 cutoff date. I like W10, and don't care if I never get W11.

As far as Edge browser goes, that's my default browser, and I'm completely happy with it. It's never caused a white screen, as in your case. I also have Firefox installed as a backup; no trouble with it either.

I've also played around with Vivaldi browser. I liked that, too, but feel 2 browsers are enough.

Win10 will run way past the 2025 date, that date is nothing more than the date that MS will no longer pay attention to it as far as security patches. Might even do you a huge favor by not installing broken haphazard and buggy updates that were never tested before being released.

Fair chance, like XP, 7, 8.1 that date will be a moving target due to those OS versions being highly embeded into machines and equipment that everyone highly depends on like bank ATMs and even hospital equipment.

Takes a huge effort and expense to replace/upgrade or flip embeded products and sometimes there simply is no replacement due to manufacturer bowing out of a product segment or just going bankrupt.

Spent 22 yrs of my life working in a industrial high tech environment building PCs for robotics systems that operate in the background but have a significant role in healthcare settings.. I have seen it take as long as 3 yrs to test and qualify new PCs and OS systems for the companies products with the software. Then replacing tens of thousands of PCs in the field takes considerable time and manpower.. When I left the company last yr, they still had well over half of the systems still running Win7..

thanks for that info, GDetrailer. My older Toshiba will probably be due for replacement in a few years, anyway, and I may opt for an entirely different OS, such as ios or Chromebook. Who knows? ๐Ÿ™‚
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
My Windows 10 laptop isn't upgradable to W11, so I'll use W10 until the 2025 cutoff date. I like W10, and don't care if I never get W11.

As far as Edge browser goes, that's my default browser, and I'm completely happy with it. It's never caused a white screen, as in your case. I also have Firefox installed as a backup; no trouble with it either.

I've also played around with Vivaldi browser. I liked that, too, but feel 2 browsers are enough.

Win10 will run way past the 2025 date, that date is nothing more than the date that MS will no longer pay attention to it as far as security patches. Might even do you a huge favor by not installing broken haphazard and buggy updates that were never tested before being released.

Fair chance, like XP, 7, 8.1 that date will be a moving target due to those OS versions being highly embeded into machines and equipment that everyone highly depends on like bank ATMs and even hospital equipment.

Takes a huge effort and expense to replace/upgrade or flip embeded products and sometimes there simply is no replacement due to manufacturer bowing out of a product segment or just going bankrupt.

Spent 22 yrs of my life working in a industrial high tech environment building PCs for robotics systems that operate in the background but have a significant role in healthcare settings.. I have seen it take as long as 3 yrs to test and qualify new PCs and OS systems for the companies products with the software. Then replacing tens of thousands of PCs in the field takes considerable time and manpower.. When I left the company last yr, they still had well over half of the systems still running Win7..

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Any problem downloading Firefox and trying it and leaving Edge and Chrome as backups until see how Firefox works. Or, leave all three downloaded. One year ago changed email to gmail because of a move. That was a chore! Not sure what will happen to email if delete Chrome. Still looking at other suggestions made. Thanks for helping a computer challenged senior!
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
1492 wrote:
navybanker wrote:
Also laptop is telling it is compatible with windows 11 and do I want to download. Is 11 a good deal? No cost to download? Thanks,

Personally, I would wait until you determine WIN 11 is compatible with your existing software and other hardware drivers such as your printers. You still have at least 6-months to get the free upgrade offer.

If Win11 goes the way Win 10 has, you will be able to upgrade from 10 to 11 indefinitely..

Win7, 8.1 are still upgradable to Win10 as long as those installations have a valid install key and are activated and has minimum hardware requirements.

Simple to do.

Download the latest ISO from MS, build a USB drive from the ISO file.

Disconnect PC from Internet.

Boot your PC to your original OS, insert USB drive (boot order is critical, booting to your original OS first is the only way the Win10 installer will recognize the upgrade function).

Allow Win10 installer to start and install W10.

Do not enter a license key (no need to since you had a valid and legit licensed install of Windows).

When upgrade has finished, connect PC to Internet and allow Win10 to Activate.

Your PC now has a legal and legit "digital" Win10 license.

Also can install Win10 on a blank drive and use a Win7 or Win8 license key to activate Win10 giving you a Win10 digital license for that PC hardware.

Boot from Win10 install media, CRITICAL, do not allow Internet connection during the install phase.

Choose to install without license key during the install phase.

After Win10 has completed install, connect to Internet, choose change license key, enter Win7 or Win8 license key and then activate.

You now have a legit Win10 digital license key for that PC hardware.

Once your PC hardware has a Win10 digital license key, you can reload that PC and reactivate as needed in the future. However that digital license is only good on that specific hardware so swapping system boards as in upgrading to a newer system board will require a new Win7 or Win 8 license and activation depending if you have retail or OEM versions..

navybanker wrote:
Also laptop is telling it is compatible with windows 11 and do I want to download. Is 11 a good deal? No cost to download? Thanks,

Personally, I would wait until you determine WIN 11 is compatible with your existing software and other hardware drivers such as your printers. You still have at least 6-months to get the free upgrade offer.

Both Chrome and MS Edge browsers are based on Google's Chromium code.

Normally I would think it's a corrupt browser cache. However, since this is happening on both browsers, is not likely the cause as they use their own cache.

I'm more apt to think this is due to your graphics card GPU unable to use the browser's hardware acceleration option. Try disabling it on both browsers by going into 'Settings' ( ⋮ ).

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Chrome and Edge are pretty similar under the hood. You may want to try Firefox.

Windows 11 is a free update, at least for now.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just was informed my tiny little Surface tablet is not able to run 11. No upgrade for me which is just fine. Iโ€™ve learned to dislike anything Microsoft except Excel and even it has become more than I care to deal with.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
google might know. It told me you could have your browser already running in the background.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
I could not fix mine -it took the Geek Squad 3 try's- it is a soft ware problem.
Ken