Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Calling weight police - help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Calling weight police - help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Sad when you have to add any type of helpers to handle a RV instead of buying a RV that is the truck can HANDLE SAFELY.

Only in your world and only when you're being condescending....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Second Chance wrote:

Loaded for travel, the Solitude 378MBS will put about 3,800 lbs. on the pin.

Rob

How do you get from 2686 dry pin weight to 3800 load.

I'd say practical experience.

* This post was edited 11/15/21 02:16pm by Grit dog *

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Second Chance wrote:

Loaded for travel, the Solitude 378MBS will put about 3,800 lbs. on the pin. Make sure the truck has that kind of payload left over after subtracting the weight of the hitch, occupants, gear, etc. Personally, I would only pull that trailer with a dual rear wheel truck.

Rob

How do you get from 2686 dry pin weight to 3800 load. That is about 1/2 of the carrying capacity of the of the trailer. Do you really think that much will go on the pin.

Taking dry weights it has 18.7% dry pin weight. Carry the percentage forward to 16800 GVWR of the trailer give 3146 lbs of loaded pin weight.

If pin weight increases to 20 percent load, the 3360 would be the pin weight fully loaded.

Now we need to talk about generators and washer/dryer. W/D prep is in the nose, and generator well ahead of the axles.

I made this work with my 16K 39'4" Bighorn because it had a 2435 dry pin weight with our 2015 RAM SB 4X4 3500 SRW with 11,700 GVWR and 7K RGAWR. And we were loaded heavy as full timers at that time.

Almost all cargo, including LP, batteries, basement and closet contents, and all three waste tanks are forward of the axles on this model. Only the fresh tank is over the axles. Having owned two Grand Design fifth wheels and seeing the numbers for many others on the Grand Design forums, this configuration typically runs around 23% of the loaded weight (or GVWR if you don't have actual scale weights) on the pin. My Solitude 310GK, only 15K GVWR, puts over 3,300 lbs. on the pin - and that's without a generator and with lithium batteries (1/2 the weight of lead-acid).

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can someone shed some light on my trucks ability to handle the Solitude 378.

My combined weight of passanger and cargo is around 3300 based on door sticker but the Gawr rear Axle is 7000 lbs. Does this mean I can put than much pin weight on that axle?

Attached are the door stickers on truck

Combined weight of occupants and cargo not to exceed 3341

Front Gawr 5200lbe
Rear gawr 7230lbs

Vehicle Gvwr 11500

Weight on trailer
Uvw 14344
Hitch 2686
Gvwr 16800

We like the floorplan of the Solitude but would be willing to consider a lighter version of it if one exists.

We like to avoid a dually as it does not fit in our garage, drive thrus, dual tires etc..

Love the F350 SRW SB 4x4 Diesel Crewcab. This thing gets better gas mileage that the F150 Powerboost we traded it for.

I am just a bit confused as to how the rear gawr plays into the equation with the 5th wheel hitch weight. It looks like you will exceed the vehicle cargo much faster than the axle can handle. Any help clarifying this would be appreciated?

Thank you

MC

Me Again wrote:

Second Chance wrote:

Loaded for travel, the Solitude 378MBS will put about 3,800 lbs. on the pin. Make sure the truck has that kind of payload left over after subtracting the weight of the hitch, occupants, gear, etc. Personally, I would only pull that trailer with a dual rear wheel truck.

Rob

How do you get from 2686 dry pin weight to 3800 load. That is about 1/2 of the carrying capacity of the of the trailer. Do you really think that much will go on the pin.

Taking dry weights it has 18.7% dry pin weight. Carry the percentage forward to 16800 GVWR of the trailer give 3146 lbs of loaded pin weight.

If pin weight increases to 20 percent load, the 3360 would be the pin weight fully loaded.

Now we need to talk about generators and washer/dryer. W/D prep is in the nose, and generator well ahead of the axles.

I made this work with my 16K 39'4" Bighorn because it had a 2435 dry pin weight with our 2015 RAM SB 4X4 3500 SRW with 11,700 GVWR and 7K RGAWR. And we were loaded heavy as full timers at that time.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

My combined weight of passanger and cargo is around 3300 based on door sticker but the Gawr rear Axle is 7000 lbs. Does this mean I can put than much pin weight on that axle?

Attached are the door stickers on truck

Combined weight of occupants and cargo not to exceed 3341

Front Gawr 5200lbe
Rear gawr 7230lbs

Vehicle Gvwr 11500

Weight on trailer
Uvw 14344
Hitch 2686
Gvwr 16800

We like the floorplan of the Solitude but would be willing to consider a lighter version of it if one exists.

We like to avoid a dually as it does not fit in our garage, drive thrus, dual tires etc..

Love the F350 SRW SB 4x4 Diesel Crewcab. This thing gets better gas mileage that the F150 Powerboost we traded it for.

I am just a bit confused as to how the rear gawr plays into the equation with the 5th wheel hitch weight. It looks like you will exceed the vehicle cargo much faster than the axle can handle. Any help clarifying this would be appreciated?

Thank you

MC

Me Again wrote:

Second Chance wrote:

Rob

Trucks GVWR is a manufactures warranty spec, and has little to do with the Federal Bridge Weight laws. You stated two different Rear GAWRings. If it is 7230 and you already own the truck, then you have a decision to make! Are you going to worry about GVWR. If you talk to a hotshot hauler they will tell you the only thing that matters in the Federal Bridge Weight laws which are based on the width of the tire tread on the ground.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

Rear gawr 7230lbs

Hitch 2686
Gvwr 16800

Thank you

MC

Well, that's generally the info you're getting.
But your rear gawr, or the considerations that make up that max recommended axle weight are your main consideration, since the rest of the truck is more than capable of handling a trailer that size.

That weight is by all accounts derived from your rated wheel/rim capacity, or tire capacity.
It's not widely published, but "most" OE HD truck wheels are rated around 3500-3600lbs. You'll notice your tire rating is probably similar.
The rest of the truck, the axle, good for 10-11klbs, frame/chassis/drivetrain, good for whatever a dually is good for.

There are 3 things you're giving up compared to a dually.
Stability of wider rear track width. IMO not a must here.
Wheel/tire weight capacity.
Added spring rate/payload of dually rear springs.

If you're good with working around that, then it will work for you.

More stable running across the desert and catching a 40mph crosswind gust? Dually = Better
Going through the drivethrough and most other daily tasks if you live in an urban area. SRW = Better

This conversation will go for pages, not unlike the 100s of other similar or same conversations that I'm sure you've read prior to asking the same question...

Bottom line, you're on the cusp of what a srw suspension and wheels will handle and be in "spec" without some additional help. Rest of the truck, pull n go.
Decision is yours.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are comfortable , or prefer walking an extra 100 yards or so every time you park, get the dually. The walking is good for you anyway, so take the truck as a motivator.
If the truck will function as your daily driver, and you dont want the extra walk (in wind, rain, snow, etc) get the single rear wheel.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

The weight police recommend a dually if you tow any thing more than a pop-up, " because you can never have enough truck" did you expect any other answer?

Says a Heavy Hauler [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

The weight police recommend a dually if you tow any thing more than a pop-up, " because you can never have enough truck" did you expect any other answer?

Says a Heavy Hauler [emoticon]

Hey Ron, is your truck still in the hospital? You need to get out of the wet NW Washington weather.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of those Dry Pin Weights are nothing but Fantasy. Our unit left the Factory almost 1000 Lbs heavier than the published Dry Pin.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Calling weight police - help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.