Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Calling weight police - help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Calling weight police - help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Many of those Dry Pin Weights are nothing but Fantasy. Our unit left the Factory almost 1000 Lbs heavier than the published Dry Pin.

Really, almost 1000 lbs heavier on the pin. Hard to believe! I called the factory and asked about the 2435 figure on my Bighorn before purchase and was assured that it was right.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

If you are comfortable , or prefer walking an extra 100 yards or so every time you park, get the dually. The walking is good for you anyway, so take the truck as a motivator.
If the truck will function as your daily driver, and you dont want the extra walk (in wind, rain, snow, etc) get the single rear wheel.

I park our 2016 Ram 3500 Crew Cab long bed, where I want! Front row or back row. No not like swinging in with a Smart Car, but I can park anywhere a SRW CC can!

* This post was edited 11/15/21 06:14pm by rhagfo *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you already have the truck. I to would have a 8ft bed and dual rear wheels as thats all I have had since 1985. It only took once getting into a compromising situation to convince me as someone above said "you never have to much truck".

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

Attached are the door stickers on truck

Combined weight of occupants and cargo not to exceed 3341

Front Gawr 5200lbe
Rear gawr 7230lbs

Vehicle Gvwr 11500

Weight on trailer
Uvw 14344
Hitch 2686
Gvwr 16800

As noted elsewhere, Grand designs are generally a bit more pin heavy than perhaps other brands. You should assume 22-23% of your weight will be on the pin.

You should also assume that you will be at GVWR for trailer, or close to it. Trust me, over time, you will add weight and before you know it, you will be at max or above. Happens to most/all of us at one point or another.

So, lets just go with 16,000 for your trailer, loaded. Assuming 23%, you will be at 3680 pin weight. Your payload is 3341 (total weight of cargo and occupants will not exceed 3341). Payload has to take into consideration everything, including driver, all passengers, and all cargo. At 3680 pin weight, you are already 340 pounds over payload WITHOUT taking into consideration any passengers or other cargo.

Now, the pin weight percentage unloaded is 18%. As you add weight in the front storage area, almost all of that goes on the pin. There is virtually no way to physically maintain the 18% pin weight as you add stuff to the trailer. If you can keep it at 20% you will be doing very well. Undoubtedly, it will be above 20% and in neighborhood of 22-23%.

No matter how you do the math, even assuming as low as 1500 weight added, and 20% pin weight, you will be over payload. 15844 (dry weight plus 1500lbs) times 20% is 3169. Subtract that from 3341 payload only leaves 172 lbs left for passengers and the hitch itself.

There are people, like myself, who use all the numbers to make informed decisions. Gross Axle Weight Rating is one of those. There are others who swear by payload is the only number to exceed, and if you exceed that by a pound, your truck will self destruct in seconds. You need to know the unloaded weight of your drive axle, add the pin weight as well as hitch weight (usually about 200 lbs) and any passenger weight on the rear axle to decide if you cn stay within the axle weight.

All this to say I think no matter how you slice it, a 16,000 trailer is dually territory.

Mike

* This post was edited 11/15/21 06:20pm by Walaby *

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

All this to say I think no matter how you slice it, a 16,000 trailer is dually territory.

Mike

Hotshot haulers have a field day laughing at the RV weight police. Are they all in jail, no! It is very difficult in a pickup truck to exceed the Federal Bridge Weight Laws, which are what the states use as a bases for their weight laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Bridge_Gross_Weight_Formula

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Walaby wrote:

Mike

Hotshot haulers have a field day laughing at the RV weight police. Are they all in jail, no! It is very difficult in a pickup truck to exceed the Federal Bridge Weight Laws, which are what the states use as a bases for their weight laws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Bridge_Gross_Weight_Formula

I deliberately avoided any commentary on the legality of anything, because just exceeding payload is not a legal issue, despite what some people will claim.

I choose to use all numbers to determine what I feel is a safe max. In my case, I do exceed payload, but am still under GAWR and am perfectly comfortable in that decision. I have no desire to exceed my axle ratings or my tire ratings, regardless if I am still under the federal bridge weight laws.

I don't consider myself part of the weight police clan. I've violated some of their sacrosanct positions long ago. I just try to make the best decision I can with the information I have available.

Mike

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay within your SAE RAWR and GCVWR and you are golden.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

This. Asking for the opinion of the weight police, you'll get the opinion that "if you're one ounce over your GVWR, you're putting yourself and everyone on the road in legal and literal jeopardy". Or, head over to the truck camper forum and ask the same question, and you'll get the opinion that "if you don't exceed at least one of your truck's specs, you don't have enough camper!" [emoticon]

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

GCVWR is a manufactures warranty number!

What has not been mentioned is states that license tonnage like Washington State. My 2001.5 RAM 2500 4x4 with 8800 GVWR was licensed to 12K per Washington formula of tare weight times 1.5 and then rounded up the next higher even K. My 2015 RAM with 11,700 GVWR was licensed to the same 12K, I could have asked to have either licensed to 14K for a little more per year.

* This post was edited 11/15/21 07:27pm by Me Again *

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are solidly in dually territory. You will certainly exceed your GVWR .
More importantly it appears you will be close to your rear axle rating as well
What is your unloaded rear axle scaled weight?

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Calling weight police - help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.