Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Calling weight police - help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Calling weight police - help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 11:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all the feedback. This has been quite an education. I seem to go thru it every few years when we change units so I tend to forget the details.

We are keeping the Solitude 378 unless someone can recommend a similar quality floorplan with smaller GVWR and hitch weight. Love to hear about alternatives.

Regarding the truck, I returned my beautiful King Ranch F350 today. It felt bad but it was the right thing to do.

I have come to accept that if you want a large 5th wheel, you need the dually. It will be dedicated to towing mostly and we will use something else as a daily driver. That may help keep the resale value up.

We are not fulltimers even though we will spend most of the summer away from the Arizona heat.

I have ordered the same King Ranch with a dually from the same dealer. Price is just about the same plus or minus $1000. I get a 48g tank, an 8 ft bed, no need for helper springs, room to carry a bit more w/o worry, room for a cargo box, an extra pair of tires in case of a tire issue and peace of mind.

Worse case, we keep it for a season. Best case, we love both the truck and 5th wheel as much as dually owners here seem to like theirs...

Thank you again.

MC

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 11:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good job!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 11:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Stay within your SAE RAWR and GCVWR and you are golden.

GCVWR is a manufactures warranty number!

What has not been mentioned is states that license tonnage like Washington State. My 2001.5 RAM 2500 4x4 with 8800 GVWR was licensed to 12K per Washington formula of tare weight times 1.5 and then rounded up the next higher even K. My 2015 RAM with 11,700 GVWR was licensed to the same 12K, I could have asked to have either licensed to 14K for a little more per year.

Don’t think there is much difference in GCVWR and tow rating. Tow rating max is based on the lightest configured DRW and it gets less as the truck gains weight.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 03:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

Thank you for all the feedback. This has been quite an education. I seem to go thru it every few years when we change units so I tend to forget the details.

We are keeping the Solitude 378 unless someone can recommend a similar quality floorplan with smaller GVWR and hitch weight. Love to hear about alternatives.

Regarding the truck, I returned my beautiful King Ranch F350 today. It felt bad but it was the right thing to do.

I have come to accept that if you want a large 5th wheel, you need the dually. It will be dedicated to towing mostly and we will use something else as a daily driver. That may help keep the resale value up.

We are not fulltimers even though we will spend most of the summer away from the Arizona heat.

I have ordered the same King Ranch with a dually from the same dealer. Price is just about the same plus or minus $1000. I get a 48g tank, an 8 ft bed, no need for helper springs, room to carry a bit more w/o worry, room for a cargo box, an extra pair of tires in case of a tire issue and peace of mind.

Worse case, we keep it for a season. Best case, we love both the truck and 5th wheel as much as dually owners here seem to like theirs...

Thank you again.

MC

Good choice.

With new truck and trailer, it makes far more sense to buy the right truck than to coble together something marginal.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 03:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good move OP ! Walaby said it best as we were in same boat few years back as we too thought we had 'nuff truck..........nope. Went from a '15 F350 SRW to a '17 F350 DRW. Stinks in snow, but tows great !

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats for soliciting advice and actually acting on the advice even though the advice was contrary to what you wanted to hear.
Many are not man enough to own up to their poor vehicle choices.
You took the advice and made a sound decision.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Good move OP ! Walaby said it best as we were in same boat few years back as we too thought we had 'nuff truck..........nope. Went from a '15 F350 SRW to a '17 F350 DRW. Stinks in snow, but tows great !

You should never be in snow!

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ACZL wrote:

HA HA.. SOME of us don't/can't winter in the WARM south.... [emoticon]

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ACZL wrote:

Come 9am at the Sno park I wish everyone else had that attitude when I can’t get a parking spot because I didn’t get up with the chickens!
The rest of the time I spend dreaming of a powder day!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I have ordered the same King Ranch with a dually from the same dealer. Price is just about the same plus or minus $1000. I get a 48g tank, an 8 ft bed, no need for helper springs, room to carry a bit more w/o worry, room for a cargo box, an extra pair of tires in case of a tire issue and peace of mind.

Worse case, we keep it for a season. Best case, we love both the truck and 5th wheel as much as dually owners here seem to like theirs..."

FWIW, which is about $0.02, I believe you made the right choice. I no longer RV, but for a few years, we pulled a 38' 5th wheel with an F350 crew-cab, long bed dually in KR (years ago). We had to carefully pick camping spots sometimes (i.e. older state parks don't like 60' or so of combined setup), but we really enjoyed the room of the big truck and trailer....and we always made a point of using the truck to see the local sights: it didn't take long before we were both relatively comfortable driving the truck, although it didn't replace the Prius as our commuter vehicle.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Calling weight police - help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.