cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are OTR truckers restricted from speeding?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
In a trip over the weekend, we spent a few hours on Sb 95 from NC, through SC, into GA. What I noticed was every single OTR truck doing the speed limit or less. While not faulting the trucks and I have much respect for drivers and no issue with them at all - this post is not an invitation to a flame fest. It's just a question. Was something recently imposed? I used to see trucks speeding or at a minimum keeping up with traffic.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
58 REPLIES 58

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
ajriding wrote:
no, for OTR truckers there is no speed limit. what kind of question is this? In SC they are generous with speeding tickets and you see cars pulled over all the time, but not trucks.
Speeding is one thing, but police can take a look at the OTR's log books and calculate their average speed for long trips based on start time to where they got pulled over andn can issue a speeding ticket based on that. Truckers sometimes keep two log books.

I live in SC and there is LITTLE traffic enforcement. Perhaps what you are seeing is local sheriff departments boosting their revenue. The SC HP does little. Couple years ago all the SE states were doing a big enforcement push. I travelled in SC, NC, TN and VA, everyone partaking but SC. Never saw a SC HP.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I do care as when I explain how I want a project done and it gets done wrong when someone says they understand and in reality they donโ€™t it gets very expensive. If I try to tell someone not to push short PCs of wood thru the table saw between the fence and blade and they loose a finger because they donโ€™t understand that is not okay!!!

Donโ€™t tell me โ€œIโ€ should learn other languages!!!

The way you put the first part, yes that is a concern. One that most of the country is somehow able to overcome all day every day.
But you didnโ€™t get out much. Lucky you worked in the PNW.
Your philosophy wouldnโ€™t work in the majority of the US. It would be a 100% non starter. Now, and 30 years ago.

True.

If I didnโ€™t get my way I would have gone back to pounding nails.

Yup , youโ€™d been pounding nails , you apparently have led a sheltered life.

Donโ€™t think so. I had every right to require what I did based on life safety. Yโ€™all donโ€™t have the balls to take a position. Remember when immigrants first desire was to learn English and be part of the American Dream???

Ever wonder why air traffic speaks one language.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I do care as when I explain how I want a project done and it gets done wrong when someone says they understand and in reality they donโ€™t it gets very expensive. If I try to tell someone not to push short PCs of wood thru the table saw between the fence and blade and they loose a finger because they donโ€™t understand that is not okay!!!

The way you put the first part, yes that is a concern. One that most of the country is somehow able to overcome all day every day.
Your philosophy wouldnโ€™t work in the majority of the US. It would be a 100% non starter. Now, and 30 years ago.

True.

Yup , youโ€™d been pounding nails , you apparently have led a sheltered life.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

True.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
no, for OTR truckers there is no speed limit. what kind of question is this? In SC they are generous with speeding tickets and you see cars pulled over all the time, but not trucks.
Speeding is one thing, but police can take a look at the OTR's log books and calculate their average speed for long trips based on start time to where they got pulled over andn can issue a speeding ticket based on that. Truckers sometimes keep two log books.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like I said it's all about life safety!!! But of course someone would rather just call me racist instead of addressing the issue.

In an instant communication can be the difference between life and death.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Man, this topic went sideways.
:B:)

Hey , Iโ€™m still talking about highways . :B

LOL, a funny deal involved in communication on highway construction;
I worked hauling spoils away for a company that was relocating the underground utilities before making a old 2 lane to modern 4 lane. After everything was moved, another company hired us to haul as they cut roadbed grade. Now everybody on both crews spoke American. I did have trouble understanding that strawboss from New Jersey, because people from that area talk faster than I can listen. I have done enough not much need for bossing anyway.
A few days into the grade work, I looked at where a dozer was cutting, keyed up on the Children's Band, "Hey, I think that dozer is pretty close to a power line." "CAN'TBEALLTHELINESHAVEBEENMOVED" or something. "I know he is working on the slope away from shoulder, and utilities are ran in that area" "YOUDRIVEYOURTRUCKI'LLTAKECAREOFTHERESTOFJOB" 20 minutes later, the job was shut down, had cut power to a hospital.
The next week, hauling for 3rd company, relocating the utilities, we had a break. I asked the new state inspector what cause the problem. Apparently the previous company, and previous inspector had no issue converting feet and tenths to feet and inches, but the plans where drawn in meters.
Couple a weeks later, starting back on the road grade. Before the first load, state inspector, Youdrivetruck, and a couple of fast talking suits with clean hardhats pulled up along side my truck. I could tell it was suits forcing the question when Youdrivetruck asked Howdidyouknow?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
:B:)

Hey , Iโ€™m still talking about highways . :B

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

It wasnโ€™t a matter of learning to speak their language , they learned ours over time . I could show a man how to do something easier then trying to explain how to do it , and with some interpretation we did well . Youโ€™ve drove past a lot of product over the years , right out of Centerville, Ut . We were one of the largest producers of highway safety in the western US.

I tell you what ,I had more issues with our born and raised young men , then I did with these non English speaking men . They wanted to work .Whether you noticed it or not whoโ€™s building our homes , landscaping, road construction etc etc , itโ€™s those non English speaking guys. Itโ€™s sad that ours donโ€™t want to work these jobs .

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:

When it comes to drivers, I for the life of me cannot figure out how they received their CDL โ€œAโ€ without being able to read?? And I would think that being able to read street signs would be a benefitโ€ฆ

There are two ways this can happen.
One ... Some states you can get a "Translator" to read it to you
others offer the test in multiple languages.
(By read it I mean even illiterates can pass the test)

Back in the 50's this might be an issue and even today in some cases but we now have "international" signs for most things.

But which exit is Irish Road??????

If you can't read. you may never figure it out (Turn right 100 yards)

- - - - - - - -

next: If you fly international you need to speak "Aviation English". Canada had a law that said you can not discriminate between a French speaker and an English speaker.. Pilots refused to fly into Canada till they required Aviation english. What's Aviation English.. A subset of the language. JUST those words or phrases Pilots need to know. "Hey sweety, how about we make beautiful music together" is NOT on the aviation list (And when I say something like that for the record I mean like You play piano and I'll sing the song music not what you were thinking).

Finally:
On a job it's not important WHAT language everyone speaks
only that they speak the SAME language.

In Emergency services here in the USA we use American English because.... Well that's the one that's most common..
As I said before 10-4 might mean different thigs to different agencies. But Confirmed or acknowledged is what we use.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
I have seen the trucking industry take a 180 degree turn over the past 35 + years... The old hands are not driving anymore, its a new age of driver, and not one I agree with...

With all the regulations, there has been a huge uptick of old drivers retiring and new, non English speaking drivers coming in.. I don't have a problem with them, its the fact that most cannot read English either which is a problem in many ways.

I would bet that we take 12 or 15 trucks a day in just 1 or our warehouses, and I bet 2 or 3 of them cannot hardly back into the 14' wide bay door. Then once unloaded, we have to go through all the paperwork and determine what is ours as they have NO CLUE... I have met a few, non English speaking drivers that were awesome, they are now working for us, and speaking English ( kind of )

Being a Construction Superintendent I required everyone to be able to communicate in the language of English on my job sites. It was all about being able to instantly communicate in an emergency situation. Never had an issue with this policy.

I was a fabrication manger in a steel company , and if I had that policy , you wouldnโ€™t see any bridge railing or guardrail ,or safety end treatments on a good portion of the highways and freeways here in the western states . I have been retired going on 12 years, and even then about the only guys I could hire to stick around were not English speaking. I may add also the majority of those men were the best I had . Loyal , and hard working , and glad to have a job .

I had one that spoke good English , and was one of my foremanโ€™s , it worked out great .

Donโ€™t get me wrongโ€ฆ. I do not care if they can speak English or not, as long as they are legalโ€ฆ

When it comes to drivers, I for the life of me cannot figure out how they received their CDL โ€œAโ€ without being able to read?? And I would think that being able to read street signs would be a benefitโ€ฆ
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet