Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Highway Thru Hell floods 2021
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Highway Thru Hell floods 2021

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last couple of days southern British Columbia has seen unbelievable amounts of rain fall and warm temperatures.
Hope BC had just under 10 inches of rain in 36 hrs.
The main Hwy that the Highway Thru Hell is filmed also got a dump of rain and with the higher than normal temperatures at this time of year, a lot of the snow pac up high melted and added to the moisture content coming off the mountains.
The south bound lane on Hwy 5 “The Coquihalla” lost an entire 2 lanes ( 4 lane Hwy) plus the bridge under it.
The other north bound lane is still there but the Hwy is entirely closed at this time. There will need to be a lot of inspections and work done before they even consider opening the north lane, if they ever do.
The south bound lane & bridge is gone.
Bridge gone
In saying all this, with Hwy 5 closed for an undetermined amount of time, the other two Hwys that go between the interior of BC ( or coming from Alberta) will now be Hwy 3 and Hwy 1 through the Fraser Canyon , which are both 2 lane Hwys and both are / were closed today because of mud slides..
So… that means all Hwy traffic that you see on the Highway Throu Hell will now be funnled through two 2 lane Hwys.
Going to be interesting for everyone including people that are RVing ( camping) in the near future.
Stay safe everyone.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hwy 99 was closed north of Pemberton too, so Vancouver was pretty much isolated I think. Thinking of all those in southern BC including Vancouver Island......

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2011 Palomino Maverick 800M
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Flyboy320

Tappen, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check Drive BC. ALL roads in and out of the Fraser Valley/Lower mainland/ Vancouver are closed due to landslides and flooding. Other areas of BC are also affected. Communities have been partially or totally evacuated...Merritt, Princeton... Stay home folks. It`s not safe on the roads and you will only be in the way of the folks trying to clean up the devastation.

bcbouy

100 mile house

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 of our sons came up to the lake house in the interior of B.C for a visit last thursday.they're still here and can't get home.one of them
just missed getting caught at the hwy 1 slide and had to do a 3 hour return back to our place on sunday.at least i get to spend lots of quality time with my 4 year old granddaughter.she makes me hot tub with her every morning at 5 am.

2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OMG, no idea BC got hit that hard!
Best of luck to everyone up there.
(I hope the company I work for gets some emergency work out of this...)

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rail lines closed as well.

---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

SideHillSoup

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for 3: pm Tuesday, They are finding multiple bodies at the Hwy 99 mud slide, sad.

Soup.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SideHillSoup wrote:

As for 3: pm Tuesday, They are finding multiple bodies at the Hwy 99 mud slide, sad.

Soup.

tonights news only said one confirmed death..

on a good note my comute to work has been nice with no rigs on the road. last night was the worst I have seen the Coq in over 12 years ( took me 1hr 45 min to get to work, normaly a 55min drive) and surprisingly there was no one in the ditch. suports my theory that the rigs cause 99.9% of the issues out here. and no trains, nice an quiet at home...

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

SideHillSoup

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

SideHillSoup wrote:

Soup.

tonights news only said one confirmed death..

on a good note my comute to work has been nice with no rigs on the road. last night was the worst I have seen the Coq in over 12 years ( took me 1hr 45 min to get to work, normaly a 55min drive) and surprisingly there was no one in the ditch. suports my theory that the rigs cause 99.9% of the issues out here. and no trains, nice an quiet at home...

Steve

Yup, only one found. The news report I got that info from yesterday, has updated their info on the Hwy 99 death count.
More info as time passes.

bcbouy

100 mile house

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fraserway rv storage yard in Abbotsford is burning out of control right now.there's no way for fire crews to get to it due to the flooded hwy.hundreds of new rvs are going to be lost.35 rows are already gone.we ordered our Cougar from them but i don't think it's in the mess.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Highway Thru Hell floods 2021
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.