cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black water tank overflow

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
So DW and I are concerned over what happened this morning in our Itasca Ellipse 42QD. Our unit has 1-1/2 baths with the half bath having its our commode and wash basin.

The sensors on both our black and grey water tanks are questionable so we always have a little concern about our water levels.Today, when I flushed the commode in the 1/2 bath, the tank evidently being full the water backed up into the 1/2 bath water basin. Black water backed up in what I assumed was a grey water basin..

I thought both black and grey were closed systems so how could black water get into grey system??
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
11 REPLIES 11

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
I have another question for the OP;
All my life I have been told water seeks it's own level. And I have never seen a bathroom where the top of toilet is higher than bottom of sink. Even if a pipe tied the 2 together how could water flow into sink from toilet?
If the toilet seal is good (and you don't try to flush) then it could indeed back up into the sink. If that's the case, though, I would highly suggest DO NOT TRY TO FLUSH THE TOILET!!!!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago has always plumbed the 1/2 bath sink into the black tank on the 43 and 45 foot Class A rigs along with both toilets. The grey tank gets connected to the rear sink, kitchen sink and shower.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
rdhetrick wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
All my life I have been told water seeks it's own level. And I have never seen a bathroom where the top of toilet is higher than bottom of sink. Even if a pipe tied the 2 together how could water flow into sink from toilet?

Can't speak for the OP, but in my case, it's not actually sewage that backs up into the sink.

I have a Tecma toilet (macerator type that pumps to the black tank).

When the tank level gets full and blocks the vent line, the next flush pressurizes the tank - the only way out for the pressure is through drain line from the sink. What actually "backs up" in mine is not black water, just the water from the sink trap. When this happens, it comes with the tank gas and smells just like the black tank.

Thank you, the pump idea makes sense. Your explanation got the smell of 4-1 out of my nose.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

Can't speak for the OP, but in my case, it's not actually sewage that backs up into the sink.

I have a Tecma toilet (macerator type that pumps to the black tank).

When the tank level gets full and blocks the vent line, the next flush pressurizes the tank - the only way out for the pressure is through drain line from the sink. What actually "backs up" in mine is not black water, just the water from the sink trap. When this happens, it comes with the tank gas and smells just like the black tank.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said, some rigs do plumb the bathroom sink water into the black water holding tank.

I'm thinking that your rig has a separate holding tank for the 1/2 bathroom sink & toilet, is that correct?

In our rig, all black and gray water go to their respective tanks. If the gray tank overflows, we'll see it in the shower stall. If the black tank fills up...well...you just see it when looking down into the john.

Having a Winnebago product here is definitely an advantage because the technical docs are all online, as posted by craig7h. I really like our rig, but as one who does all of my own maintenance, upkeep and upgrades on the rig, it would be REALLY NICE to have access to all of the documents like Winnebago provides.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
See my reply on irv2.com
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you โ€” ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said, some rigs do plumb the bathroom sink water into the black water holding tank.

I'm thinking that your rig has a separate holding tank for the 1/2 bathroom sink & toilet, is that correct?

In our rig, all black and gray water go to their respective tanks. If the gray tank overflows, we'll see it in the shower stall. If the black tank fills up...well...you just see it when looking down into the john.

Having a Winnebago product here is definitely an advantage because the technical docs are all online, as posted by craig7h. I really like our rig, but as one who does all of my own maintenance, upkeep and upgrades on the rig, it would be REALLY NICE to have access to all of the documents like Winnebago provides.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Winnebago has two different plans for the 42qd it has to do with serial number. I picked the first one, check it out it may help

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Files/Winnebago/Resources/Diagram/2013/13_r42qd_plumb.pdf
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What the guy above said. Many bathroom sinks drain to the black tank.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
It's not uncommon at all for the bathroom sink to drain into the black tank. I know mine does.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E