cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antifreeze NOT Bypassing Water Heater

Sped
Explorer
Explorer
I got the red valve on bypass and the blue valve on winterize. It’s sucking up the pink juice and spitting it out the water heater drain on the outside of the camper.

These valves seem so basic, plastic, and sort of bombproof….
Can these valves break go bad?

Am I missing something obvious?

Dan
11 REPLIES 11

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
My camper has a two way and a three way valve to route around the WH. I found the three way was installed backward from the factory. I turned it around, and all works as it should now.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Mike_Tassinari
Explorer
Explorer
Evening Dan.

So here is what is happening.
If I read your post correctly,
1- You have the by/pass valve open that switches the water pump suction side from its normal operation of taking water from your fresh water tank, and now suction anti-freeze thru a hose stuck in a bottle of Anti-Freeze
2 - You have the second by/pass valve close to stop anti/freeze from entering the cold water inlet side of your water heater, and when in that position allows anti/freeze to enter the hot water piping of your R/V
3 - What most people do not know, is what the heck is stopping the anti/freeze from entering the hot water outlet in your water heater

That because to save money - instead of putting a third valve to stop the anti/freeze from entering the hot water outlet of your water heater--------There is a check valve and I am guessing your check valve is junk and letting anti/freeze into the water heater via the hot water outlet pipe.

FYI - Looking at that outlet nipple that threaded into the hot water side of your water heater - it looks just like a 2" or so nipple - NOPE, there is a check valve inside that puppy.
Lastly go with a brass check valve instead of the plastic one.

Mike Tassinari
2002 Ford-4x4-Extended Cab-Dually-Lariet-Powerstroke Diesel--4.10 gears--Ranchero Adjustable Shocks-55 Gallon Extended Fuel Tank--4 Extra Main Leaf Springs-1 Extra Helper Spring..Independant Second Altinator(100AMP)to Charge MY Twin 275 AH. Deep Cycle Battery Bank tucked under the truck bed....

2001 Lance-11&1/2 Ft.-Model 1121/slide/out with all the Toys&2000 Watt Inverter

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
That is a little weird. Over the years we have had 1, 2, and also 3 connections to do a proper HWTank bypass. I have no clue as to why some are different. With our Arctic Fox 811, there is just one, so it could not be easier. Good luck. I would put the pink stuff away until you sort it out. Maybe hookup a city water line & close all taps but open the hot water tank & you can play with the valves until water stops running out of the tank. Then you’ll know where you’re at.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
https://rv101withmarkpolk.com/2019/10/24/understanding-rv-water-heater-by-pass-systems/
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
markowwes wrote:
There should be 3 valves to turn, close the cold going into the tank and the hot going out and open the bybass. that will circulate around the tank.

There could be multiple configurations.
- 1 two way valve to stop water entering a the tank and route it to the bypass with a check valve at the tank exit, so water can't go into the tank thru the exit.
- 2 valves. A two way valve to stop water entering the tank and route it to the bypass with one at the exit, so water can't enter the tank.
- 3 valves. One on the entrance, one on the exit and one in the bypass line.

We've had all 3 configurations over the years.

The 3 valve option had an issue in that the rubber valve seal would come loose from the handle, so I had to pull it apart and reattach it or it wouldn't work right.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
On second thought, I have two. One at the water pump at the front of the TC and pickup from the RV Antifreeze bottle and one to bypass the water heater inside.

X2

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I have two valves , one a
t the bottom to let cold water enter the water heater and one at the top for hot water to exit . The handles of the valve face the water heater when it’s in use . To bypass the heater both handles face inline with the horizontal pipes . This shuts off the water tank but allows cold water to flow in both hot and cold faucets .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
On second thought, I have two. One at the water pump at the front of the TC and pickup from the RV Antifreeze bottle and one to bypass the water heater inside.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
Mine only has one valve. I guess it's possible to be bad. Mine is not plastic.
Mine also has 1 valve, and it Is plastic.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine only has one valve. I guess it's possible to be bad. Mine is not plastic.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
There should be 3 valves to turn, close the cold going into the tank and the hot going out and open the bybass. that will circulate around the tank.