Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hydraulic stabilizers down during storage

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

What’s the consensus on leaving your stabilizers down while in storage?

Ive heard it’s 4 more ways for mice to get into the coach. I also heard it keep some of the weight off of the tires minimizing flat spots on the tires.

Thank you
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250
15 REPLIES 15

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't utilize our power gear levelers unless we need to level and/or stabilize our coach. That's us, not worried about flat spots, mice/chipmunks/squirrels, or hydraulic leaks. Haven't researched what Toyo tires or Monaco says about the subject, and frankly don't plan to waste my time. Do what works for you, try it both ways and make your own conclusion. If you were going to store it indefinitely maybe it would pay to be more anal about it, for a just a few months or less would likely not matter either way you decide to go.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I store my coach with jacks down, that's what the owner's manual says and that's why they are there.
2014 American Eagle

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
I store ours with the air dumped and the jacks up. I do not change the tire pressure. On or about the first of every month I run the generator, under a load, and take the coach for a drive on the interstate to get everything hot. So far that has worked well for me.

Ours is stored inside a building and plugged into 20A service.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I think mice are far more likely to climb up the tires and wheels to the axles than to try to climb up a slippery stainless steel shaft.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelin Tire recommends using leveling jacks to support coach weight during long-term storage, AND inflate tires to sidewall listed pressure.
HWH jack shafts are SST and do not corrode/rust. HWH says leaving jacks extended during long-term storage is OK.

As to flat-spotting yes it is still a thing:
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Since the leveling jacks/stabilizers don't reveal any openings into the RV when extended, I don't see mice being attracted to them. That's assuming they could get a grip on the cylinders in the first place to climb them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes mice. It looks like 4 runways for mice to march inside the RV.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Not a huge issue either way but I would lean toward raising them:
- Flat spots on the tires are more an issue from 40-50yrs ago. Modern tires are much more stable.
- Hydraulics will be under pressure, so lots of time to leak (but really a low risk).
Think of the millions of trucks, tractors, cars and other heavy equipment that sit without levelers. Snow, rust and dirt can build up on extender levelers. Retracted levelers stay immersed in hydraulic fluid and are protected from the elements assuming you have hydraulic jacks.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
FLHTCI wrote:
Hello all,

What’s the consensus on leaving your stabilizers down while in storage?

Ive heard it’s 4 more ways for mice to get into the coach. I also heard it keep some of the weight off of the tires minimizing flat spots on the tires.

Thank you

Sorry, had to laugh. Mice would look at 2 motorhomes and conclude the one with 4 jacks extended is the one to go into:B? IF you have NON powered retract type jacks(HWH and some Powergear), I would extend. But if you have electric or Power down and Power up jacks I would not leave extended. If you have a failure to get retracted, then you have a problem getting the RV to the Service Center. Doug

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:
The only real downside I ever thought of when leaving jacks down for storage, is if there is a problem with your jacks when you go to take it out, you are stuck. But I guess better to know in storage than while on a trip.

Good point but I come to the opposite conclusion.

Stabilizers are certainly nice to have but not mission critical. Worst case I can spend $30 on a set of aluminum jack stands to get by for a short trip...vs no trip if I can't get them working and they trap the trailer. Also, that means I need to pay someone to go to the rig vs taking the rig to someone.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The only real downside I ever thought of when leaving jacks down for storage, is if there is a problem with your jacks when you go to take it out, you are stuck. But I guess better to know in storage than while on a trip. Any RV I ever had, the jacks will lose a small amount of pressure and relax. Hardly noticeable in a month, but in 3 months it could be several inches. My FW has been in storage for 2 months and we took it out last weekend. I didn't think about the jacks dropping and almost hit the bed rails on the bottom of the nose of the FW. And I know you are asking about MH's, but on FW's at least 2 of the jacks are always down (you can't store it any other way) and I have never heard anyone complain of any problem. And they are the same jack systems used on MH's.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not a huge issue either way but I would lean toward raising them:
- Flat spots on the tires are more an issue from 40-50yrs ago. Modern tires are much more stable.
- Hydraulics will be under pressure, so lots of time to leak (but really a low risk).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Inflate tires to sidewall pressures. Don’t forget to reset pressures later. Also good time to give tires a good bath.

Please explain.

Thank you
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, use the jacks to take weight off tires and suspension. Inflate tires to sidewall pressures. Don’t forget to reset pressures later. Also good time to give tires a good bath.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT