Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Contradictions with EV’s
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Contradictions with EV’s

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

………..
Electric cars??? FIne. They are dirty. They require power plants, mostly coal burning power plants. …….

Less than 20% of US electric power is generated by coal fired power plants. At least get your get facts straight.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The $64,000 question is, what filled the coal energy void??

In many cases the curtailment of coal was made possible by vast sums of more cost effective natural gas - this, the result of newer fracking technology…Had this technology not been available, what then??…Surely Walmart would have had a rush on portable electric heaters, and concurrent with trendy EV charging, taxing the grid to it’s absolute outer limits…Meanwhile, esteemed political amateurs (problem solvers - NOT!) point to ‘intermittent’ purple unicorn energy sources…Fact is, this storybook example is not too far from becoming our actual third-world reality - Seriously, what’s gone wrong with America?… Where have all the Adults gone??

3 tons, On a mission to locate John Galt….

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/21 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately much of the natural gas produced from drilling for oil is not captured.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/energy/........light-prairie-unused-natural-gas-n186946

While some is flared off plenty more is just vented to the atmosphere.

https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicators/c........ospheric-concentrations-greenhouse-gases

CH4 is also a greenhouse gas.

All the more reason to stop drilling for oil.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/21 12:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

As said, if you only need a couple miles per day, it's viable but that meets the needs of very few people...also, you aren't eliminating hardly any oil consumption, since you weren't consuming any to begin with.

Sono:
21 - 3 = 18 miles unused

214 /18 =~ 12 days to fully charge

Lightyear one
40 - 3 = 37 miles unused

450 / 37 =~ 12 days to fully charge

Since 2012 I've only driven 45000 miles (in the car). I did loan the car to a friend for 5 years when ever I was traveling, snowbirding and full time. That friend probably drove 25000 of those miles, but here are the figures assuming I drove them all myself.

45000 / 9 / 366 =~14 miles per day. So either of these vehicles would almost never require charging at my location. Sono 21-14 = 7; 214/ 7 =~31 days to fully charge. Lightyear one 40-14=26; 450/26 =~17 days to fully charge.

How many sun free days could be accommodated? Sono 214/ 14 =~15 days; Lightyear one 450 /14 =~32 days.

Both cars meet and exceed my maximum required range (180 miles). The Sono Sion cost is about $33,000.00 usd. The lightyear one is about $175,000.00

Now list cars actually for sale with real world data to support the marketing...

Of course, you are wildly below typical usage (ie: no one is marketing based on your mileage). Average is around 12-15k miles per year.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/21 12:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Yes I agree the few coal plants remaining should be converted or shut down.

Great idea and we have an example.

Germany pushed heavy subsidy to eliminate coal power plants and replace with solar/wind.

Result: Electricity prices 3 times what we pay in the USA and they import coal powered electricity from Poland. Great Solution!!!!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother lives in the far north (Iqaluit). His price for electricity is 58.56 per kwh. He has wisely installed solar panels.

The United Kingdom has some days in the last year had 100% of their electrical demand produced by wind power. They sell the excess.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Of course, you are wildly below typical usage (ie: no one is marketing based on your mileage). Average is around 12-15k miles per year.

That's good news. It means that in slightly more than 15 months a BEV reaches parity in co2 emissions--and from then on is less carbon intensive than an ice.

I do drive my RV (other than the last 2 years) far more than my car. I wish I could get a BEV RV, but sadly such an item is beyond my beer budget.

Timmo!

FYJB! Yep, FYJB!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/21 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Of course, yo,u are wildly below typical usage (ie: no one is marketing based on your mileage). Average is around 12-15k miles per year.

That's good news. It means that in slightly more than 15 months a BEV reaches parity in co2 emissions--and from then on is less carbon intensive than an ice.

I do drive my RV (other than the last 2 years) far more than my car. I wish I could get a BEV RV, but sadly such an item is beyond my beer budget.

Hate to be a party pooper, but what BEV has carbon parity to a comparable ICE vehicle at around 20k miles?

Here is Volvo's data for their XC40--on a global mixed grid (which is what USA has) it will take much more than 15 months. At 12k miles/year, carbon parity on the XC40 will be achieved in 7.5 years--just about 2.5 years before the battery pack's end of useful life (10 years).

BTW, 146,000 km = 90,720 miles

[image]

Read the comprehensive report here--
https://group.volvocars.com/news/sustain........edia/ccs/Volvo_carbonfootprintreport.pdf

LOL, when has a car salesmen ever told the truth?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-t........e-cleaner-than-gasoline-cars-2021-06-29/

"DETROIT, June 29{2021} (Reuters) - You glide silently out of the Tesla (TSLA.O) showroom in your sleek new electric Model 3, satisfied you're looking great and doing your bit for the planet.

But keep going - you'll have to drive another 13,500 miles (21,725 km) before you're doing less harm to the environment than a gas-guzzling saloon."

[image]

* This post was edited 11/22/21 10:05am by pianotuna *

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see it as a cadre of folks (shopping for a cause (EV absolution) bigger than themselves??) who’ve been animated by sound bites and furry green motifs…Why??…To somehow fall prey to a contagion (proselytized by a few capable of producing nothing!) that intermittent power sources (windmills and solar) have the ability to power America merely adds weight to Darwin’s (R.I.P.) extinction theory…Count me out - lol….Meanwhile, the luxury of time is frittered away at finding sincere RATIONAL and Workable solutions!!…

Sorry, but if I sought comforts of the third world (as some here champion…) I’d simply move there and be over it…I’m happy to entertain such intermittent power follies, but ONLY as part of a larger, comprehensive energy strategy that’ll ensure that the lights stay on, and America’s clean industrial endeavors (manufacturing and jobs!) are preserved - note that these rational and ‘more virtue-laded’ concerns are merely (shamefully) swept-aside with glee (ain’t EV life SWEET!! - lol) with the deafening non-comprehension of CRICKETS…

Until the ‘no seeking solutions’ Green adolescents decide to sober up and address these facts HEAD ON with a mature dialogue, I’ll enjoy the far more down to earth and environmentally-centric wisdom of George Carlin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4

3 tons

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Contradictions with EV’s
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.