Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Contradictions with EV’s
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Contradictions with EV’s

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ICE’s are already under a disproportionate tax burden since they pay at the pump for roadways used by EV’s, while simultaneously society subsidizes EV’s, thus the clarion call, “all is quite well so long as it’s someone else’s Ox that’s getting gored” right!!…Meanwhile (popular consensus aside…), no consideration whatsoever is assigned to evidence that EV operation actually causes a ‘net’ increase carbon production over that of ICE vehicles - Are we to pretend that EV’s don’t use fuel?? One might resist the archetypal impulse to seek regulatory exemption at the expense of others…

3 tons

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, Richard Feyman said that “Science is the satisfactory Philosophy of ignorance”...One should note, this is why by definition the science is never ‘settled’…

3 tons

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/21 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many or most states charge the road tax to the registration. I assume the rest will soon follow.
Never mind carbon, I want clean air. Yes the utilities are still in transition to solar and wind. Great progress has been made in 50 years. With any luck progress to cleaner air will continue.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

How many thousands of gallons of water are required to extinguish BEV fires?

How many lbs of heavy metals are released while BEV's roast like marshmallows? (Per Tesla advice of letting BEV fires burn out naturally).

Oh what tales we weave....

How many ice fires last year? 150,000. I think EV fires are much less of a problem.

Dealerships don't love BEV technology because there is so little to fix. No more oil changes, longer lasting brakes, and the like.

How is replacing "bad" ICE vehicles with an equivalent "bad" BEV progress? Especially at a significant financial premium?

We don't know what we "don't know". What is the salvage/recycle plan when replacing BEV lithium batteries (sourced from open pit mining operations) at the "end of life"--or every 10 or so years?

For us that have been around, do remember the promises made by the "alternative energy" elites about clean nuclear energy...problem was not the operations of nuke plants, but what to do with the nuke waste. What is the disposal plan for expired lithium batteries?

Many of us have seen this movie before.

The part I put into bold should be very concerning to all people, it definitely concerns me. But hey, I grew up surrounded by refineries, many got their start back in the 1880's with the PA oil fields boom.

Back then, they disposed of unusable refining materials simply by putting them in drums, paying someone a few bucks to load them at night and drive around dumping those materials on the roads or placing drums in open fields in ditches and then over time covering it all up with a layer of dirt..

All well and fine until the drums rotted out and the contents seeped into the ground water.

One refinery about 10 miles from me made it onto the EPA "Superfund" cleanup.. They abandoned multiple huge unlined settling ponds with leftover materials in the late 1960's.. Then in the mid 1970s, on a unused part of that property a coal wash plant was setup and ran for 5 or so yrs.. The coal was washed but the process left lots of stuff like Mercury residuals from the coal on that property leaching into water wells and systems..

Since the 1990s, something like 20 small dumpsites have been found around my area, some as close as 5 miles from me.. Have a family member that had a nice home with a huge garage that they had to leave and the house was demolished.. The garage was left standing with my relatives understanding no one can ever build or live on that property again (they are allowed to use that garage for non living storage uses)..

Folks seem to believe that making solar panels and lithium batteries are environmentally clean TODAY.. BUT, in 10yrs, 20yrs, 100yrs from now, a very good chance that much more harm has been done than good to our environment.

Way too many unkowns of what is being done with all of the hazardous materials leftover from manufacturing solar panels and Lithium batteries. There are extremely hazardous gasses and materials used in the manufacturing of semiconductor plates for solar panels. They all have to be made, they all have to be recovered and stored or destroyed safely..

Just because the general "consensus" says something is safe today, doesn't mean that it was safe 20yrs or more down the road..

Folks have pretty short memories and most likely do not remember the hype over CFCs like R12 and R22. So, those items were banned and replaced with the lesser evil like lesser efficient R134..

Thinning of the ozone layer from CFCs was blamed to cause "global warming" since the 1990s.

The CFC ban hasn't changed the "climate change/global warming" even though it is claimed the ozone layer has improved..

Since that didn't fix it, lets play the blame game on something else?

Hence why we now have "carbon" marked as the bad guy.. The most plentiful element of this planet..

in 10-20 yrs, you just might find Lithium on that blame list..

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

How many thousands of gallons of water are required to extinguish BEV fires?

How many lbs of heavy metals are released while BEV's roast like marshmallows? (Per Tesla advice of letting BEV fires burn out naturally).

Oh what tales we weave....

How many ice fires last year? 150,000. I think EV fires are much less of a problem.

Dealerships don't love BEV technology because there is so little to fix. No more oil changes, longer lasting brakes, and the like.

How is replacing "bad" ICE vehicles with an equivalent "bad" BEV progress? Especially at a significant financial premium?

We don't know what we "don't know". What is the salvage/recycle plan when replacing BEV lithium batteries (sourced from open pit mining operations) at the "end of life"--or every 10 or so years?

For us that have been around, do remember the promises made by the "alternative energy" elites about clean nuclear energy...problem was not the operations of nuke plants, but what to do with the nuke waste. What is the disposal plan for expired lithium batteries?

Many of us have seen this movie before.

So what is recycled on an ice?

Happily, the answer is yes for a Bev -- the batteries that power electric cars can be recycled.

Source: https://auto.howstuffworks.com/can-electric-car-batteries-be-recycled.htm

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Want clean air?? With all the unhinged alarmism (a gov’t funded prosecution arriving at 50-100 year subjective outcome modeling?), the public deserves exposure to the impartial science rather than engineered narratives (science driven by herd consensus) …Where do we find these Saintly academicians that remain unaffected by large infusions of gov’t green-grant cash??…Freed of the burden of authentic scientific proofs regarding ICE vs EV ‘net’ carbon impacts (why should EV’s get a pass?…), except for the usual ‘consumption preference’ thingy, I’ve yet to see an objective environmental case to be made for EV’s…Personal preference is a different topic…

3 tons

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Want clean air? Require every Country to manufacture anything they want import to our Country with the same Labor and Environmental requirements we impose on our Companies.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't get it! I was taught many years ago that trees need CO2 to produce oxygen. When did that change?

"Carbon dioxide is indeed plant food and more plant food means more plants, more forests"

When did CO2 become our enemy? Weird!

Its not,,

carbon monoxide is !
You know the stuff that comes outta your exhaust pipe. [emoticon]

https://youtu.be/iSfNvMR-Yww

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

3 tons wrote:

It’s common knowledge that EV’s produce LESS CO2, right??…Either way, FINALLY a long overdue dose of cogent objectivity has been allowed to enter the discussion [emoticon]

Link to presentation

3 tons

Excellent presentation. Now I know more.

Wonder why he didnt mention the cost of getting the Oil out of the ground and related destruction of the enviroment.

And related bilions of $$$ Gov monetary subsidies to Oil producers.

And kiling milions of Iraqis Afganis Venezuelans Iraqis etc
and destroying other places in our thirst for Oil.

The vid is total FUD aka fake news against EVs and wont change anything.
Future is electric.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/21 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 for making the Middle East irrelevant. Possibly Russia too.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Contradictions with EV’s
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.