cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need my WD bars just to move in the driveway?

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
My F150 is rated for 5,000 lbs before needing a Weight Distribution hitch, and my trailer is supposedly 4900 dry. We don't have much in there right now (not even mattresses) and it's winterized, so no water in the tank.

I should be fine just moving it around in my driveway with just the ball/hitch, right? I don't think I need the WD bars attached just to move it 10-15 feet.
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!
46 REPLIES 46

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with you on most every thing you said. Unloading the front axle WILL induce sway. No question. That is what the WDH fixes. I do agree about the tongue weight.

I have decided that Terryallan is a troll. No one can be that wrong that consistently in the face of people who actually know the subject. He is doing this intentionally. We should just ignore him. All future responses to him on this topic should just be "Troll Alert."

Just think. someone like you with no knowledge of how
WDH works calling some one who does know a troll. I have been setting up WDHs for 20 years. I'm really good at it. NONE of the trailers I set up have any sway period.
Come with me. I'll teach you how it's done.

Troll Alert
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Terryallan wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Not a troll, just somewhat uninformed and misguided in his theories.

Gee I don't know. I've been setting them up for 20 years. And not one of the trailers I setup sway. For some one that is uninformed. I'm pretty good at it. At least the people who bring their TT to me think so.

as I said a properly setup TT will not sway. The keys are weight, and weight distribution.

To be fair, I don't believe I ever questioned your abilities to set up a wdh. Actually I know I didn't. Would have no reason to, as I have no actual knowledge of your abilities.
What I question is your level of experience towing (different vehicles, different trailers, different conditions) simply based on the fact that you seem to be relying on a very small sample set of your truck and your trailer, which I don't recall having changed int eh better part of the 10 years I've been on this forum.
And I absolutely question your knowledge of physics, statics and dynamics based on some of your assertions.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Terryallan wrote:

WDH works calling some one who does know a troll.

Add clairvoyance to Mr. Allen's skillset apparently....
Or have you actually observed Mr. Bobbo's lack of knowledge that you claim?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Gee I don't know. I've been setting them up for 20 years. And not one of the trailers I setup sway. For some one that is uninformed. I'm pretty good at it. At least the people who bring their TT to me think so.

as I said a properly setup TT will not sway. The keys are weight, and weight distribution.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with you on most every thing you said. Unloading the front axle WILL induce sway. No question. That is what the WDH fixes. I do agree about the tongue weight.

I have decided that Terryallan is a troll. No one can be that wrong that consistently in the face of people who actually know the subject. He is doing this intentionally. We should just ignore him. All future responses to him on this topic should just be "Troll Alert."

WDH works calling some one who does know a troll. I have been setting up WDHs for 20 years. I'm really good at it. NONE of the trailers I set up have any sway period.
Come with me. I'll teach you how it's done.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
bcbouy wrote:
some of you really need to go back and re read the op's original question before pontificating.

:B

Yup, it's not like the guy is doing 60 MPH in his back yard.

Amen
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
bcbouy wrote:
some of you really need to go back and re read the op's original question before pontificating.

:B

Yup, it's not like the guy is doing 60 MPH in his back yard.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Timmo! wrote:
Dissecting minutia is a barrel of fun...for some; boring for others.

Like most rv trailer forums folks get stuck on just their reason their trailer had sway issues. Some even think there is just one reason a bumper pull trailer will sway.

Then we have the type that never had a sway issue.

And of course we have the forum know it alls who bash others who have had sway issues and found their way to eliminate it.

Towing trailers full time will show several reasons bumper pull trailer can have sway issues regardless of the size of the tow vehicle.

The idea is too eliminate sway...regardless of the "reasons".

TerryAllen a troll 'cause....??..... really ??
Some times the troll can be found in a mirror.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™d like to hope that heโ€™s just trolling, but sadly, if one is at all observant, it is easy to see that a good portion of the wdh/sway bars sales and promotions are due to these same weird theories that people who donโ€™t know blinker fluid from muffler bearings are so adamant about.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
i'm enjoying this.simple question,yes/no.now it's a big debate.flex those brains boys.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dissecting minutia is a barrel of fun...for some; boring for others.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Isnโ€™t this horse dead yet?
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch