cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for a shorter 5’ver…

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at 5th wheels. We are a family of 4 that doesn’t need a ton of space. Mom, dad and 2 teen boys. We are all well experienced campers. We’ve owned a few 5th wheels in the past. I’ve been looking around for a 5th wheel that fits our needs but just want to see if anyone has any suggestions. Here’s our criteria below in no particular order. Thanks

Around 30’ or less… we’re limited to this size because of the amount room in our driveway. We have a lot of vehicles.

Bunks… we just like a bunk model for the kids.

Higher end brand…. Don’t mind paying a few $$ for something of better quality.

Four season if possible…

Weight not a factor. We’re going to buy our TV after the RV.
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com
26 REPLIES 26

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a Dutchman Atlas at 30 feet. I don't know about the quality, just the floorplan. it has bunks. We are trying to find a new fifth wheel at 29' or under, no bunks, but access to bathroom in travel. Found Cougar, and Jayco, but looking to see if there are other options.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My knock on Artic Fox (at least the model I liked). Is that while they are solidly built their cargo carrying capacity was lacking.
I imagine using lots of real wood and insulation ultimately negatively impacts the CCC.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
philh wrote:
Njmurvin wrote:
philh wrote:
Artic fox 27-5L

x2 but no bunks and they are HEAVY for their size.

They are heavy, and I was a little surprised when I weighed mine. For a couple, IMO, it's literally a perfect 5er.

I wouldn't mind an Arctic Fox at all, IF they had a floorplan she liked. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
My only adivice is that if you are going the bunk house route. Get a floorplan that has a seperate bunk room vs. just bunk beds.
A bunk room gives the kids a seperate place to call their own.
It also gives them a dedicated palce to store their stuff.
Giving the kids a dedicated space indirectly gives the adults.
their own space.
Camping is a great family activity which is good. Having a space to call your own when desired makes the whole experience even better.
Bunk house vs. Toy hauler.
A toyhauler can make a great versatile bunk house. The versatility of the toyhauler can also be its Achlilles heal.
A traditional bunk house has fixed storage and fixed beds. A place for everything and everything in its place.
A toy hauler lacks fixed furniture everything is in flux which allows for lots of versatility. That versatility requires more set up and take down vs. a traditional bunk house.
After camping with kids for quite a few years I have come to despise all the set up and break down required. I now limit my set up of anything unless I'm really going to use it or need it.
My days of setting up pink flamingos,antique car lights and other doo dads are over. Now I'm just a boring guy with a camping chair and maybe a table.

Excellent advice IMO.

I am also that guy anymore. We have all but stopped putting anything outside we aren't going to use except for my flag. 4th of July is an exception.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Njmurvin wrote:
philh wrote:
Artic fox 27-5L

They are heavy, and I was a little surprised when I weighed mine. For a couple, IMO, it's literally a perfect 5er.

I agree, it is a perfect couples 5er. There is absolutely no way to make room to put bunks in one though.

Many people think the interiors are clunky, or out of style so they aren't considered high end. I don't care much about style, I want everything to work, and I am very happy with ours.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Njmurvin wrote:
philh wrote:
Artic fox 27-5L

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I want a 5th wheel that's 28 feet long on the outside, but 35 feet long on the inside!

Seriously, in 2010, Open Range made a bunkhouse 5th wheel with a slideout on the REAR of the trailer (335BHS). 33'6" towing length, and with the slideout extended, about 35'6" long. The bunk-room, with a door.
Not quite what the OP is looking for, but close.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Artic fox 27-5L

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My only adivice is that if you are going the bunk house route. Get a floorplan that has a seperate bunk room vs. just bunk beds.
A bunk room gives the kids a seperate place to call their own.
It also gives them a dedicated palce to store their stuff.
Giving the kids a dedicated space indirectly gives the adults.
their own space.
Camping is a great family activity which is good. Having a space to call your own when desired makes the whole experience even better.
Bunk house vs. Toy hauler.
A toyhauler can make a great versatile bunk house. The versatility of the toyhauler can also be its Achlilles heal.
A traditional bunk house has fixed storage and fixed beds. A place for everything and everything in its place.
A toy hauler lacks fixed furniture everything is in flux which allows for lots of versatility. That versatility requires more set up and take down vs. a traditional bunk house.
After camping with kids for quite a few years I have come to despise all the set up and break down required. I now limit my set up of anything unless I'm really going to use it or need it.
My days of setting up pink flamingos,antique car lights and other doo dads are over. Now I'm just a boring guy with a camping chair and maybe a table.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Winnebago Minnie Plus 27RLTS. Right at 30 ft. No bunks, but the dinette and sofa are both a full 8 feet long and easily accommodate taller sleepers. It has a good amount of storage. Probably not 4-season. These trailers are not available new anymore, but might be a good option if you can find one.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
If you are ok on a big budget you could talk to New Horizons. They can create a custom floor plan for you. 30’ with a bunk though would be tough to design in a 5th wheel and still have a useful kitchen and living room.

You might consider a TT.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
You didn't ask for 1/2 ton tow-able, but that's where you will find what you are looking for. Here are some great examples: Brochure hitch weights are for entertainment purposes only...

Reflection 150 Series 268BH - single wide rear bunks
UVW: 7,893 lbs | GVWR: 9,995 lbs | Hitch Weight: 1,268 lbs | Length: 31'11"

Reflection 150 Series 278BH - double wide rear bunks
UVW: 8,345 lbs | GVWR: 10,195 lbs | Hitch Weight: 1,321 lbs | Length: 32'11"

Reflection 150 Series 280RS - rear tri-fold soafa, but 30" 11" long
UVW: 8,566 lbs | GVWR: 10,995 lbs | Hitch Weight: 1,384 lbs | Length: 30'11"

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2021/fifth-wheel/reflection-150-series/floorplans
Grand Design has some great models and where I’m leaning at this point. Thanks
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses everyone.. appreciate it. Keep em coming if you don’t mind.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II