cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renting My Truck Camper

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys so im wondering , do any of you rent out your TC? Ive been living full time in my camper for the last 7 months or so, its been really fun but im looking into other options as far as off grid living, tiny homes, cabins and some land upstate ect....

So with that, i decided id like to rent my camper out to people who want to experience this lifestyle for themselves. There a few different online platforms i can use, but im a bit concerned about people driving it around. Its really difficult to drive and it takes some getting used to.

Do you think there would be a market for people who want to rent a camper like this at a specified location and not necessarily move it ? For example, client wants to go camping, they book themselves a campsite for the week, i transport the camper to the campsite for them to use, they dont drive anywhere, they use it , when they're done i pick it up. Maybe they want to see how it feels to live in sucha vehicle, maybe they want something different and unique. Or is it unrealistic to expect that someone who rents a vehicle on wheels is not going to want to use the wheels ? lol

As far as liablity and insurance goes, there is a lot to consider. What do you guys think?
65 REPLIES 65

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to help a person get back on their feet but wouldn't look for even a part time job. We finally had to evict them off our acreage. It was tough to get them off our land but we've had a good real estate attorney for a long time who worked it out.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
covered wagon wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
Bed bugs are for those renters who failed to pay, failed to leave when asked and then try to sue you because they get a pro bono attorney to file new charges every week with the court in an effort to scare you into giving free money from your supposed millions in your account.

Stop it. Grit's head is going to pop.

Sorry, I couldn't help it since this actually happened to me.

What happened to you? The bed bugs or the chitty renters?
I had a tenant claim bed bugs as my responsibility when they began to be unwilling to pay rent…
Even hired a professional to tell me that they had been “dormant” for the 2 years since the renters moved in.
I’m sure it had nothing to do with the husband being an OTR cab lizard, the in-laws from Deliverance moving in and the methy daughter and her kids and 3 more dogs that weren’t approved to be there moving in….
I rented a house to 3 people, 2 dogs, 1 of which was like 12 years old and evicted 9 people and 6 animals….
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
Bed bugs are for those renters who failed to pay, failed to leave when asked and then try to sue you because they get a pro bono attorney to file new charges every week with the court in an effort to scare you into giving free money from your supposed millions in your account.

Sorry, I couldn't help it since this actually happened to me.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
covered wagon wrote:

Lol, right?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
covered wagon wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Whoa. This thread is like the twilight zone…

vidotchis
Explorer
Explorer
I am pretty positive I have bed bugs in my bus. Have you had this issue and if so how did you solve it.

From what I have scene is involved to rid them in an actual bedroom from a google search it seems like it would be impossible.

The only thing I can think of would be to set off foggers in my bus, but a lot of what I saw in my google search here said that foggers don't do a very good job with bed bugs either. And yes I realize pesticides are bad for us, but I don't think they linger forever and after cleaning up and airing out think it would be fine. But I don't want to make a mess of my buss that I won't be able to really clean either.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Even strange-er…

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
In order to get a relative trouble free money flow you should think about traveling with your camper and build tiny homes for others. You can get the well drilled, the septic system in and start excavation and building off the grid homes in beautiful quiet places. I would rent the camper to my business and only myself this way. Remember, in building, going overboard in trying to save a buck with costs usually isn't worth it. Same thing with cutting corners, it usually isn't worth it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Strange…

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Makes sense. And sell it if you’re not going to use it. You do t have a very “rentable” camper unless you send the truck with it, IMO.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sell it, the market for used RV’s is hot right now but will cool and then there will be a lot of used RV’s, cheap.

moonlitsouls
Explorer
Explorer
Really interesting discussion and thanks for all the input. When i decided to move into my truck camper full time, i was paying over 2k a month for a one bedroom in queens, i was so sick and tired of overpaying for an apt i hated and didnt even own.

its been about 8 months now, i was able to hit the reset button on my finances, regroup , and the process of downsizing/ minimizing taught me a lot about what i thought i needed to be happy,

One area where i've struggled is dating, most women just arent into it and as much as i love saving all this money, i also would like to meet a long term partner

So before i made this post, a couple weeks prior my mother had proposed to me that a family friend had an apartment opening up soon and was willing to rent it for $1000 a month , in a really nice area close to other members of my family

So the question becomes, well if i do take this apartment, what can i do with my camper? maybe i can turn it into another source of income, maybe sell it?

and thats what prompted the original post

After paying $325 a month for this camper for the last 8 months , the prospect of going back to renting wasn't exactly appealing, but the deal was just too good to pass up.

If i cant rent my RV without taking massive risk then im going to sell it