Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Renting My Truck Camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Renting My Truck Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/30/21 01:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supercharged111 wrote:

The mere title of this has me contemplating buying a camper expressly to rent to see how profitable it could be. Sure one won't make you rich, but if you committed to multiple at what point could a guy make a living? Using the online apps to find renters and hold them accountable should alleviate most of the pain


I know of more than 1 business that does exactly this. They buy used trailers cheap rent them for a while and sell when someone offers enough.

But it is a business and it does have overhead costs. You need insurance , storage yard, pay taxes, pay for marketing, plus your time.

Keep in mind, you want to reserve charging people for damage for something substantial. If you get a reputation for dinging people for every little issue, the internet will come back and kill your business with reviews. Also, it's not as easy as it sounds to put a deposit on a credit card. Credit card companies tend to side with the card holder if there is a dispute. You can waste a lot of time fighting over it.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 11/30/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supercharged111 wrote:

The mere title of this has me contemplating buying a camper expressly to rent to see how profitable it could be. Sure one won't make you rich, but if you committed to multiple at what point could a guy make a living? Using the online apps to find renters and hold them accountable should alleviate most of the pain


Yeah, how, exactly, do you propose to "hold them accountable?" They will simply laugh in your face and walk away. "What'ya gonna do tough guy, beat me up?"

Lawyer and legal proceedings will cost more than simply eating the damage done by the delinquent renter. Any judgement you may get against them, is up to YOU to collect. Usually they don't have anything to go after anyway. That's by design.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Killingsworth wrote:

, you have to rent to a higher class of people blah blah blah... .

My worst nightmare tenant was school teacher.
For my father it was a lawyer





RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 12/01/21 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Killingsworth wrote:

, you have to rent to a higher class of people blah blah blah... .

My worst nightmare tenant was school teacher.
For my father it was a lawyer


When we had our rental homes, the BEST people we ever rented to were active duty military. They take care of things, turn them back over to you in as good (or better) condition than they were when they took possession, and if anything EVER went wrong (which it almost never did), a quick call to their CO straightened things out in a hurry.

Want some advice? If you decide to give it a try, advertise HEAVILY to attract military families. Although I was never able to serve myself, these folks are the greatest to deal with, and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat (that is, if I were younger and had a bit more stamina!)


. . . never confuse education with intelligence

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 12/01/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Expecting a specific behavior out of people due to their career choice is a guaranteed disaster.

Ask for references, including current and past landlords, and base your choices on actual past behavior.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 12/01/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Expecting a specific behavior out of people due to their career choice is a guaranteed disaster.

Ask for references, including current and past landlords, and base your choices on actual past behavior.


Sounds like a response from someone who has never been deeply involved in the rental industry. Understandable.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 12/02/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Expecting a specific behavior out of people due to their career choice is a guaranteed disaster.

Ask for references, including current and past landlords, and base your choices on actual past behavior.


Sounds like a response from someone who has never been deeply involved in the rental industry. Understandable.


You don't even have to be involved in the rental industry to know how meaningless references can be. I've lost count of the number of people my company has hired based on GLOWING references only to find out how worthless and clueless they really are.

d3500ram

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2006

View Profile



Posted: 12/02/21 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moonlitsouls wrote:

... ~snip~ and i would feel more comfortable renting the camper off the truck on my own land ...~snip~

Not to hijack the main topic, but I recently asked about renting out only a parking spot on my land. Seemed simple, but the more I thought about it I decided against it. The potential liability for me was not worth it.
That topic is HERE if interested in reading.

specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 12/02/21 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this may not answer your question but I only have few friends that I would even consider lending my camper too.

I would NEVER rent it out.


Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.


RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 12/02/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Expecting a specific behavior out of people due to their career choice is a guaranteed disaster.

Ask for references, including current and past landlords, and base your choices on actual past behavior.


Sounds like a response from someone who has never been deeply involved in the rental industry. Understandable.


You don't even have to be involved in the rental industry to know how meaningless references can be. I've lost count of the number of people my company has hired based on GLOWING references only to find out how worthless and clueless they really are.


I can't speak for the quality of your company's hiring practices, however I can tell you of MY experiences in renting (after all, that's what we're talking about in this post -- not some company's hiring practices). Please re-read what I wrote. I say nothing about references, glowing or otherwise. I just know, from firsthand experience, and PLENTY of it, that renting to active duty military personnel has been the best experience for us that a landlord could ever ask for. As for your company, I'm sorry for their issues. Hope they get it figured out.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Renting My Truck Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.