cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling with a cat - in a trailer

KHJPHOTO
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at buying a trailer BUT my cats are a major part of my life a d if they don’t go- I don’t go.

So asking does anyone travel with their cat and keep them in the trailer while traveling?
Concerned the bouncing around while going down the road should stress out the cats.
Thanks for your reply
15 REPLIES 15

liamricci
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the cat in my opinion. We had a cat which was super stressed during the short drive ti the vet. Some are absolutely fine to travel long distances. I guess you should now better your furry friends. We have our dog as a travel companion and it always works just fine. Always have a good stock of flea/tick treatment from CanadaDrugswith us. Especially if we are traveling in the woods.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you mention each cat is different. In the OP's situation, if his cats hate riding in the trailer, and he can't put them in the truck, then he's at an impasse.

I think he needs to decide if there is a way for them to travel in the truck before buying a trailer. That way, he CAN "figure it out for himself" without ending up with a trailer he won't use because his cats don't like riding in a trailer or he decides he doesn't like them in the trailer.

From his other post, I get the sense he is not really sold on RVing. In both threads, he has been pretty quick to "I guess I'll stick with hotels". Which is fine - not everyone wants to RV.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
Figure it out for your individual situation and don't preach to everyone that your way is the only way it's done.. ha, ha..
That always happens in these posts.

Yeah, I have deleted so many 'replies' over the last decade so I can remain "PC" with the "community".. 🙂

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Figure it out for your individual situation and don't preach to everyone that your way is the only way it's done.. ha, ha..
That always happens in these posts.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
NEVER put an animal in a trailer. Would YOU want to ride in a trailer?

You’d better go have a talk with the Lake County Animal Shelter

They must think pets can be transported in a trailer with the right precautions/accommodations.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER put an animal in a trailer. Would YOU want to ride in a trailer?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Our cats traveled in the camper and then in the TT. No issues. I did need to assemble a water dish and catch pan that wouldn’t slosh water onto the floor.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My 11 yo female Tabby rides very comfortably in the closet of my 5er bedroom. Never makes a sound, just sleeps. Litter box and water there. It's just 'wake me when we get there.' Sure beats listening to her howl in the truck in a cage.

Works like a charm for us.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the end, your animal family member either likes to travel or they don't... Ain't gonna change that once they got it in their brain that they do or don't like it...

Not going to get into all the drama you guys spew on this topic.. Every animal is different, just as every person is different..

Some things work better for the animal and some things work better for the person...

Sometimes there is a workable solution...

Figure it out for your individual situation and don't preach to everyone that your way is the only way it's done.. ha, ha...

What works for you and what works for everyone else is in the end, what YOU need to do.. ha, ha..

Good luck and happy traveling with your animal family..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do you get them to the hotel?

I camp with two cats, two large dogs and a parrot. I have an SUV. The parrot rides in a celtei "bird backpack" in the passenger seat. The dogs and cats ride in the backseats and/or cargo area (I switch out putting the third row seat up or down). The litter box is placed in the back. I use the crystal type litter - it absorbs liquid the best and is easier to vaccuum up if spilt.

Neither of my cats like riding in a carrier (Looney2 has ripped through one before). I always keep the carriers in the vehicle, but I leave them open so they can go in and out.

My cats are good about not trying to get under my feet in the car. If they did that, I would put up a gate separator to keep them in the back.

If your cats ride well in carriers, I would keep them confined during the drive. In that case, use a plastic container with secure lid for the catbox. It can ride in the truck bed and you can bring it into the truck at rest stops and let each cat out to use it. At the end of the rest stop, put the lid on and return it to the truck bed.

If they won't ride in the carriers, then get two boxes that will fit on the floor of the backseat. Cover the backseat with a soft comforter and let the cats relax. If they "accident" outside the boxes, it will be on the comforter that can get washed. If cloth seats, lay a plastic tablecloth under the comforter to stop leaking.

If you have a camper shell and a window that opens from the cab to the truck bed, you can lay out bedding in the truck bed with a cat box and let them ride back there. The open window will allow the area to be heated or cooled AND lets you hear the cats for signs of distress. It also allows the cats to climb into the backseat as they like.

Always have your cats in a harness while on the road. And have a tag on the harness that includes your cell phone number AND the license plates of your truck and trailer. If a cat gets loose, this will give someone the ability to find you even if there is no cell service available.

With harnesses, there are two types of cats: one that never has a problem; and one that can and will back out of any harness (the "backer upper"). I have one of each type. Looney1 never fights the harness. I can attach a nylon tether to it and let him go in and out of the trailer all he wants. When he reaches the end of the tether, he goes another direction. Looney2 will back out of any harness as soon as he feels the tension. With him I have him wear two harnesses now. One has the ID tag attached. The 2nd gets attached to the leash (he doesn't get tethered). If he backs out of the one attached to the leash, he still has a harness and ID tag.

In the suv, they always have their leashes attached. That way I can easily grab the leash if they try to escape. Every time I get back in the suv, I count heads,and make sure everyone is accounted for before I drive off.

Once we stop for the day, the cats go into the trailer. They see it as another room of their home. They love looking out the windows and seeing the world. I never leave the windows open enough so that one of the cats could rip open the screen and get out. I have been replacing the regular screens with the heavier pet screening. A cat can still claw through it, but it holds up better than the regular stuff. I also never leave just the screen door closed. If the cats are in the camper, the door is securely closed - no exceptions.

Absolutely practice harness and leash walking at home. Never let the cats outside without being on a leash (or tether if the cat isn't a "backer upper"). Learn how your cats handle the leash in different situations - with people around, with cars driving by, in wide open spaces, in rocky spaces, and so on. The more you know how the cats react, the better you can keep them safe.

If a cat is a " backer upper", never let them outside (harness and leash or not) if you can't give them 100 percent of your attention. They can back out of a harness in a second and don't need to be scared to do so.

I leave their dry food out 24/7, but feed canned twice a day. This is specifically so that I can use dinner and breakfast as a lure for an escaped cat. They know and expect canned so when it's dinnertime I can call them and they will come.

With Looney2, he gets a bit skittish sometimes. If he gets loose, he will run from me. He also loves to cuddle and get tummy rubs. So I have taught him to come with the trigger "let's cuddle". At home, he will come to me and show his tummy for rubbing when I say that. It is a daily event. Out camping, if he gets loose, I can get him to come to me by sitting quietly and saying "let's cuddle" - he won't come until he's tired of exploring, but it will get him to come to me instead of my trying to chase him. With Looney1, he's Mr Social, so he will come back as,soon as he tires of exploring. They rarely get loose, but when they do, it is very stressful, so the more enticements to convince them to come to me the better.

I enjoy having my cats go with me. They enjoy it too. And with the camper, I can leave them inside while I go hiking, etc and not worry that housecleaning will accidentally let them loose. I always make sure the camper door(s) is locked to prevent a nosy person from opening it while I'm not there.

I also have a folding crate that can fit a cat box and the two cats - just in case I need them confined for any length of time.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

KHJPHOTO
Explorer
Explorer
Well there in is the problem ; they don’t go in the vehicle for it is a crew cab PU and four cats in a small area……ahhhhh where do you put the cat box!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
So if your cats can ride to a hotel in your car, what’s wrong with the idea of riding in the tow vehicle? Either way I assume they would be in cat carriers you can secure. They will ***** and moan until they get used to it.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

KHJPHOTO
Explorer
Explorer
Well look at alllll the money I saved for I shall “hotel’ now.
Will not put my fuzzys in harms way..

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Cats go in the TV. And some cats dont travel well. I do know lots that take cats, dogs , birds, rabbits , ferrets with them camping. But not in the TT while driving. One of my cats does not like the car and it isn't an option for us. But I did want travel cats, but it didnt happen. Toedtoes travels with cats and leashes and walks them on a harness. So you may want to start there, getting the cats used to being leashed. And taking them for rides in the car.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.