cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bad luck for this family

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/first-person/article-ever-own-something-that-felt-like-it-was-o...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
16 REPLIES 16

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Shamrock is down at the bottom as far as quality. And sitting in a a field unused isnโ€™t any good either. Combine that with cold weather where you canโ€™t test many of the systems before a several thousand mile trip and you get this story.

Research and preparedness goes a long way.

Actually Shamrock hybrids(twin of the Rockwood Roo)are one of the top 3 hybrid brands out there. There is no higher quality hybrid, than Jayco and Roo/Shamrock. And Jayco stopped making hybrids last year.
So now, Shamrock/Roo hybrids are the highest quality hybrids made.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
A great attitude!

But they and their equipment where ill prepared for the journey. A little more time spent getting prepared would have saved them thousands of dollars and given them more time to enjoy their trip.

Learning the hard way, it has it's pro's and con's.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, IMO there's "unplanned" and then there's "clueless". Pretty obvious which category this lot fall into.

How many people would be so forgiving, if this bunch had ended up at a dead end after blindly following their GPS?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
my kind of people.unplanned trip = adventure.life's too short to play it safe all the time.we have yet to "plan" a trip in the last 20 years and we're still undeafeated.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
they bought the unit it good faith. Too bad the RV industry is piecework.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regarding cupbords and refrigerator/freezer doors... Make sure they are firmly latched and consider a retainer strap of some kind for the fridge/freezer.

On my rig I ran a cargo strap from a cupbord door (Washer/dryer cabinet only I did not have those so it was the pantry) across the front of the fridge to insure it stayed closed.

Doors either got hook & Eye locks or tied closed or for a couple cupboard I used hinges. Took the pin out and put em on the moving edge of the door. Pinned those doors stayed CLOSED no question about it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Going from Canada to Baja on their shakedown trip was pretty ambitious.

At least they came away with good stories to tell.

"ambitious" is one word you could use, however I can think of other, more accurate words.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

dedmiston
Going from Canada to Baja on their shakedown trip was pretty ambitious.

At least they came away with good stories to tell.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Shamrock is down at the bottom as far as quality. And sitting in a a field unused isnโ€™t any good either. Combine that with cold weather where you canโ€™t test many of the systems before a several thousand mile trip and you get this story.

Research and preparedness goes a long way.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
There is a little bit of that in all of us.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good reminder why one should always do a test run before heading out on a big trip. Most of this could have been avoided with a driveway or nearby campground stay first.

I do applaud the author for her attitude. So many of these articles are bitter and make it out that someone should have warned them that RVing was awful. She had a sense of humor (or humour since she's Canadian) about it and doesn't whine about their ruined trip. I suspect this is a vacation that will be laughed at and enjoyed for years to come.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a great story.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like a typical RV trip. ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like they were ill-prepared, to say the least. Maybe they should have done a bit more research instead of setting out totally without any idea.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"