cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking Part Time in Huron National Forest (Michigan)

Dave_Velky
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of you have experience boondocking in the Huron National Forest in Michigan? If so, recommendations for a place to camp?
Dave Velky
Lincoln Park, Michigan
2002 Flair 33R
3 REPLIES 3

Dave_Velky
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips. I see your point about Huron and Manistee. Those roads might be ok for a class B, but I likely won't take my flair in there. I'm just looking for places that are low or no cost to reduce our travel expenses. State parks can be workable, too. We don't mind rustic sites as long as we can safely drive there and are able to get out.lol
Dave Velky
Lincoln Park, Michigan
2002 Flair 33R

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dave,

There are at least two national forest areas in Michigan, Huron and Manistee. We have spent a could of days in each as well as other state park camp areas.

The problem with taking an RV into the dispersed camping areas is that the roads are little more than fire access roads and not suitable for most RVs and particularly not for a TV-TT set. As someone up the page noted, is would be advised that you scout the area with other than the RV. When we did most of this, we had a little 4WD and towed a pair of trail bikes on the trailer that also carried much of our other gear.

Great times, but my poor old body can't even consider that these days.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocking is all about finding your own personalized style and place. Use the maps, and guidance from others who have done it. Grand Adventure is a great source of guidance. And find what works for you.