cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable battery Charger

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Can a RV battery be charged with a portable charger while plugged into shore power?
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox
10 REPLIES 10

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Lithium batteries can accept fast charge. One of their advantages.

Most AGM batteries can also accept a fast charge.

Many thin, closely-spaced plates connected in parallel = low internal resistance = fast charge acceptance

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Lwiddis wrote:

But Lithium are much more sensitive to bad charge methods...I would be hesitant to randomly hook up multiple charge sources.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Noco Genius smart charger also when boondocking and running the generator..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would suggest using a "Smart" type charger (I used a Deltran Battery Tender 2/20/70 amp model (20 was for battery charging then it dropped to tender) you do need to monitor it as it will not return to "Charge" automatically.. 70 is for jump starting and did not work well for me).

The most likely "worst case".. one of the chargers may refuse to go into "Battery charge" because it senses the other charger and thinks "Batteries full"

Other worst case.. already covered above.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had two Schumacher chargers over the years. I don't recall models but both would shut down when the battery was fully charged.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, but there is a limit to the amps a battery can absorb, so typically, there is no reason to bother.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure!

Even if the battery charger in your RV's power converter is supplying some charging current to the battery, you can still connect a portable charger to the battery to charge it faster.

However, there is a limit to how fast you can charge a battery - particularly if it's the lead-acid variety. At some point, some of the charging current gets converted to heat, instead of charging the battery. Result: Excessive water loss, and possibly damage to the battery.

Most lead-acid batteries can accept a lot more charging current during the early portion of the charging process. As they gradually recharge, their ability to absorb charging current gradually tapers off.

For this reason, using several battery chargers may be more effective early in the charging process. Later on, just one battery charger may be sufficient to supply all the charging current the battery can accept.