cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

house batteries & heat with 120v

cac43
Explorer
Explorer
my 2 house batteries my class c are dead and Cales taken off. want to wait until spring to buy new ones, but want rv to be available for kids to sleep inside if needed during the winter. If I hook up to 120v shore power to use the furnace will the blower work all night without the batteries being hooked up?
thanks again.
10 REPLIES 10

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we have a stand up electric heater fan built in works great.no batteries involed,

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You might be overthinking this one. Remove the negative cables of the batteries. Plug it in and see if everything still works.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have 120V shore power, have you thought about using an electric space heater instead of the furnace? It will save you propane.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you need new batteries and you have 120 volts available then why not buy the batteries and plug it in from time to time to keep them topped off or leave the rv plugged in. Use the rv kill switch to prevent a drain.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Using your RV as it was intended…with a battery…is the safest route. Fully charged a wet cell battery won’t freeze. Why not buy a new one now?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Should be fine. Typically a dead battery is not completely dead. The only downside is the charger will run pretty much continuously but if it's only for a stray night, it's not a big deal.

Actually, if the battery has a bad cell, and the converter is on 24/7 it could be a VERY big deal.

Charging what would amount to a 10 VDC battery (one dead cell) at 13+ VDC could cause severe overheating, boiling electrolyte, etc.

A battery with a bulging case and/or the smell of sulfuric acid are a dead giveaway that the battery is being dangerously overcharged.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Should be fine. Typically a dead battery is not completely dead. The only downside is the charger will run pretty much continuously but if it's only for a stray night, it's not a big deal.

The charger should put out enough to keep the furnace fan and brains working.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generally yes, the furnace will work fine as long as you have 120v and propane.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Switch-mode converters made since about 1998- early 2000s do not need a battery to operate and supply the 12v to the rig. However some 12v things have their pos and neg paths connected part way along using the battery posts.

You can leave the cables off the battery bank, but do join up the same wire terminals as though they were on the battery posts. Vice grip pliers can do that or nuts and bolts. Don't let the pos wire collection touch any metal nearby or it will short and blow fuses.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
cac43 wrote:
my 2 house batteries my class c are dead and Cales taken off. want to wait until spring to buy new ones, but want rv to be available for kids to sleep inside if needed during the winter. If I hook up to 120v shore power to use the furnace will the blower work all night without the batteries being hooked up?
thanks again.

Probably not, but adding year/make/model of RV will get better more relevant answers.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)