cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ASME propane tank leak

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
My permanently mounted ASME tank is under the van on my 1997 Class B Xplorer. I used it 10 days ago just fine. I drove to PA and as I started to turn on the valve I could hear wooshing gas and felt the cold on my hand and the smell. I turned it off right away. I tried again a few times with the same result. The next day it did not make the wooshing sound & I did not feel the cold, but I did smell some gas. So it has stayed off. This happened once before in 2019 when I wanted to check my furnace before driving to FLA in January from Michigan. When I made Tenn it was good and has been good since. I note both times it happened I had been in freezing temps.

I am getting by as I am always plugged in to shore power on my current trip. When I get home I will try to find some company to either replace that valve or the whole tank as it is old and even though I repaint it often it's age is showing.
24 REPLIES 24

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to Cummins re them ordering the tank and now they say to drive it to them so they can measure it and determine how it is mounted to make sure to order the correct tank. They said they may be able to find a similar tank. While that makes sense I will not do that until April, after the snow and salt and after I turn back on my insurance. I haven't driven it in 2 months, was hoping to go to FLA in a few days for 8 weeks but am not going now due to my health, fear of covid and the tank.

I wonder if it would be possible to find a super clean one in an RV salvage yard.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins said they could probably remove the old tank and install a new one if I can get it. I talked to Manchester and they said there is a 14 month wait. I have not been able to find one in stock anywhere, bummer.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Try these:

Bergquist is in toledo

Ray Murray is in Flint
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I want the Manchester 6814 tank. I do not care what the costs are to buy and install it. I just want it done. But I cannot find any RV shop or propane place that will do it. I may try calling Cummins and maybe some RV manufacturers. Does anyone have any suggestions?

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer

This is an ASTM "TANK", manufactured by Manchester Tank

https://www.campervan-hq.com/products/rv-propane-tank-9-8-gallon-manchester-model-6840?variant=29572...

From "camper van hq"

I don't know where this company is located but they sell them and could probably give you good advice on where to go next.

I may be possible to salvage your tank by removing all the fittings, and sand blasting or glass bead blasting the paint and rust off. You can clean it (inside and out), paint it, and replace all the various fittings. 4 new bolts and nuts, along with washers, and you are back in business.

Our Travel Blog

For your own safety, and everyone around you, I would highly recommend voiding the tank by running the furnace and HWT until the tank is empty. Then never fill it again.
That thing is a bomb waiting to go off.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Update:
2 days ago I opened the valve and it was leaking a little. I closed it and opened it to the same result. Yesterday I opened it and left it open thinking that may empty the tank. I went out later and it was not leaking. It didn't leak anytime I checked it even after leaving it open all night. The temp got down to 10 last night. Today I opened it and closed it a few times. No leaking noise. After a few minutes I did notice a slight smell. It seemed to be not leaking when all the way closed or open.
I scraped off some of the flaking paint to show some of the bad rust. I'll try to attach pics. I wish I could get the tank replaced, but no RV or propane business near me will touch it.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
I do not think the tank can be 'taken out'. It is permanently mounted under the side of the van. The rv would probably need to be put up on a lift (it is already 9' high). I cannot see how it is attached from underneath.

The tank is attached with bolts to a bracket. But, those 6.5 gallon tanks are small and crammed into an even smaller space. So, they may have bolted the tank to the bracket, welded the bracket to the frame and build everything over the tank denying access to the bolts. The typical upgraded replacement is a Manchester 6811 or 6813 tank but you'll have to remove the one you have now. The new ones have side brackets unlike some of the older ones with brackets near the top (easy to build over). You'll do better having an RV tech just replace the valve.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
ASME tank has welded on brackets on top and is bolted in place.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
I do not think the tank can be 'taken out'. It is permanently mounted under the side of the van. The rv would probably need to be put up on a lift (it is already 9' high). I cannot see how it is attached from underneath.

Post some pictures.

Our Travel Blog

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised that there is no one around to do repairs, especially in a major industrial area like yours. Very strange.

Are they saying that if you take out the tank and bring it in, they will work on it?

Our Travel Blog

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
The gas company I just took it to said they could not work on it as it is mounted under the side of my RV. It is no longer leaking and I am running the furnace now to drain some propane and the LiFePo4 batteries before winter storage. I do wish I could find someone to replace the stem or the whole tank. I've made a lot of calls to Rv places and gas places to no avail.