cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cause and effect?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Recently I filled my large outer propane tank. When re connection I heard a hiss and determined the crimp was leaking for the large connector. I found Mr heater hose in 12" but when looking at the end that screws into the transfer device it did not have a check valve as the OE did. I looked a few places and finally stopped at a Propane Delivery Company that had parts also. The Manager said no need for the check valve. OK so I installed the hose and all seemed well.....UNTIL.

We stayed at a rest area last night on our trip South and it was COLD up near Barstow, CA. I fired the gen up and then it died. I tried a few times and started to run then died every time.

OK now what had changed??? I had the outside tank open and the inside closed as usual so I never completely run out. I went outside and turned the transfer switch to the inside tank and opened it up leaving the outside tank open. Went inside and sure enough the gen fired and stayed running.

Raised the Satellite Dish and turned on the furnace and had a nice evening staying warm and watching NETFLIX. Well I fell asleep and around 12:30 am the gen stopped. I just went ahead and fell back asleep and woke at 5am thinking OH SHITE I bet both tanks are empty and my dish is sticking up. I had thoughts of having to disconnect and find propane.

Then my foggy brain kicked in and checked the tanks. Sure enough the inside tank ran out and the outside was still full even tho the transfer should have switched. So swapped the tanks and opened the inside tank and WA-LA the gen fired right up stayed running and allowed me to store the rooftop dish.

So now can someone please explain what the lack of a check valve has to do with the gen not staying running???

Opposite end of my finger has the built in check, new hose does not.

FYI the Mr Heater hoses are nice quality and US Made.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD
26 REPLIES 26

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Thanks for the follow up. I still don't understand why the automatic changeover valve would not prevent propane from flowing from one tank to the other though. :h

That was my point a few post ago. The check valve ensures no back pressure because gas can only flow one way. Otherwise there is back pressure which ultimately reduces flow.
The notion that the changeover valve controls the reverse flow is incorrect.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Thanks for the follow up. I still don't understand why the automatic changeover valve would not prevent propane from flowing from one tank to the other though. :h

Bottom line I need a check for my gen to run.

My transfer switch works as it should.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not convinced the backflow preventer did anything. It still sounds to me like the high flow shutoff kicked in. Maybe the backflow preventer restricts the propane flow just enough to keep that from happening. My system works just fine with 2 pigtails without backflow preventers. I installed them early this past summer when my two pigtails started leaking propane.

blofgren wrote:

If the auto-changeover regulator let both tanks connect to each other, it would draw down both tanks at the same time rather than let one tank run dry, then switch over to the second.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for letting us know that the problem has been solved. Great follow up, including pics!

I suspected that the valve was needed, even though propane guy (that should know) said not. Now we all know it is.

Jerry

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Great story. Nice to have a quality knowledgeable owner. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stopped bu SunBird RV in Indio, CA. Talked to the new owner explained what was happening with the new hose without the check valve. He reached down right by the cash register and said this is what you need!

I screwed the new check onto the new hose then removed the brass fitting in the change over valve. Applied yellow teflon paste to the threads and screwed the new assembly into the change over. Hooked up the "NEW" side opened that tank and closed the old side. Fired off the gen and guess what??? The darn gen stayed running. So much for "The check valve is not needed".

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Reading this thread I nominate the "Excess flow" Feature for best answser.

Did not think of that but the new coupler may have a flow limiter.
Generators such BIG TIME.

Looking into the end of the new hose there is nothing but air. Looking into the end of the old hose there is a brass pc.

I would think the old hose has the "limiter" ???

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reading this thread I nominate the "Excess flow" Feature for best answser.

Did not think of that but the new coupler may have a flow limiter.
Generators such BIG TIME.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bgum wrote:
If you had used your old line with a new crimp you wouldn't be confused as to the problem. Read this twice and possibly you will learn something.

My old line was hard and stiff and was not worth spending a nickel on it.

I totally understand the old line was doing whatever job it needed to do EXCEPT it was leaking.

So no one knows if there is a screw on device that can be added to my new line?

I understand if I had the hose fixed we would not be discussing this!!!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
If you had used your old line with a new crimp you wouldn't be confused as to the problem. Read this twice and possibly you will learn something.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Like the propane guy, I cannot think of a plausible reason that it wouldnโ€™t run with a no back check hose.
Got me stumped too.
Iโ€™ve also not seen a pigtail with a check valve on it until you mentioned it and I looked it up, so my experience is 0.
Safe travels.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
This is a dilemma which OldBiscuit could answer. He knows all things propane! I know he is N/A here any more.

I know you're not asking for WAGs, but here is mine. I'm thinking the gen is more sensitive to line pressure, than other appliances you mentioned.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I think you are correct. I just have no idea what that valve does.

Anyone have a part number I can add to the end of my new line to duplicate the function of the old hose?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is a dilemma which OldBiscuit could answer. He knows all things propane! I know he is N/A here any more.

I know you're not asking for WAGs, but here is mine. I'm thinking the gen is more sensitive to line pressure, than other appliances you mentioned.

Jerry