cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado Springs to Taos New Mexico

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip next summer to Colorado Springs than on to Taos, New Mexico.Will be towing a 40' 5th wheel.What would be best route to take
6 REPLIES 6

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thom02099 wrote:
Gary O wrote:
Planning a trip next summer to Colorado Springs than on to Taos, New Mexico.Will be towing a 40' 5th wheel.What would be best route to take

If you're not pressed for time and want to do some sightseeing along the way, you could take US 24 west out of Colorado Springs to the junction with US 285 and then continue south over Poncha Pass (a very easy pass) and on into the San Luis Valley. Just south of Villa Grove take CO 17 south to Alamosa and pick up US 285 again in Alamosa. Stay on US 285 into New Mexico and at Tres Piedras take US 64 into Taos.

Alternatively, you could take CO 115 south out of Colorado Springs to US 50 in Penrose and head west on US 50 to Salida, where you pick up US 285 and then follow the routes above on US 285 south.

Just do what he says. Thomm is the Sacagawea of route finding in Colorado!
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary O wrote:

If you're not pressed for time and want to do some sightseeing along the way, you could take US 24 west out of Colorado Springs to the junction with US 285 and then continue south over Poncha Pass (a very easy pass) and on into the San Luis Valley. Just south of Villa Grove take CO 17 south to Alamosa and pick up US 285 again in Alamosa. Stay on US 285 into New Mexico and at Tres Piedras take US 64 into Taos.

Alternatively, you could take CO 115 south out of Colorado Springs to US 50 in Penrose and head west on US 50 to Salida, where you pick up US 285 and then follow the routes above on US 285 south.

Two routes that would give you different and interesting views of Colorado. For me, while CO 17 is long, straight, and boring drive, the views of the mountains that surround the San Luis Valley make up for it.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I would do the route I-25 south to Walsenburg then take 160 over LaVeta Pass then turn left onto 159 which turns into 522 in New Mexico which will run right into the center of Taos.

I concur. We have towed our fifth-wheel over every mile of this--though I don't think we ever towed directly from Colorado Springs to Taos.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
I would do the route I-25 south to Walsenburg then take 160 over LaVeta Pass then turn left onto 159 which turns into 522 in New Mexico which will run right into the center of Taos.
The other route works well also but is longer and as said before twisty, but a very nice drive thru Cimmaron, Eagles Nest and Angle Fire. We did that route the first time but did pull over at the top of one peak to let traffic by that was backed up behind us.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
You can shoot down 25 to just south of raton and take 64 this has more twisties and slower once you get off the freeway a bit

You can take 25 down to160 into ft garland then head south on 159 which turns in to something else after you cross the state line this way is pretty easy Peasey and fairly scenic

another option would be take 24 west out of the springs to 285 then just south of villa grove and get on 17 into alamosa then east on 160 to ft garland and on south on 159 pretty scenic probably the longest way but another easy way
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS