cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using my Class A in freezing weather?

Fireman37
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to use my 2012 Fleetwood Discovery this winter in possibly freezing weather. I can't find if Fleetwood built this for use in Missouri during the winter. I'm not expecting to use it when it's zero out but in say 20 degree temps at night. My motorhome is sealed on the bottom and the only thing sticking out are the low level drains for hot and cold. The only area that is somewhat exposed to the elements is the compartment with the water and sewer. I've toyed with the idea of putting a small heater in that compartment for use when we are stopped. What about putting an Army blanket in there instead and form some insulation around those tanks?
10 REPLIES 10

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Put some extra heat in the sewer bay with a 60 watt bulb.
This is what I did. But these days you'd have to hunt around for a real bulb -- the kind that heat up, not these fancy modern ones!

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have slide toppers don't open the slides when frozen. They will not thaw quickly but may pull the connection right off the roof when opening the slide. Then there is a leak that you will regret.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
No manufacturer will say, take mine to the cold weather. We have spent time at 4 nights and 14 day temps. Do not leave sewer hookups out nor your fresh water hose, work off your internal tanks. Keep your slides in to reduce the area you have to heat. Also keeping the slides in, reduces the amount of ice that will accumulate on the toppers. Put some extra heat in the sewer bay with a 60 watt bulb. Put a few extra blankets on the bed. Keep a vent open to the coach such as a roof vent to help keep moisture collection down.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our two furnaces have kept us comfortable down to -4 deg F with a small thermostat controlled 700 watt heater in the wet bay set at 40 deg F.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, cold weather living is doable!
We once spent a Montana winter in a 32 foot Suncrest Class A. I built the water line out of hard copper tubing, heat taped and insulated. We had several other ideas that would not be good for something that will move in a few days.
As for the Wet Bay, just put a 60 watt light bulb in there, in a Trouble Light cover. Keep it away from plastic stuff (I had to replace the bay light, it warped from the heat!).
All I can say is, when RVing in cold weather, even at 20 below zero, Common Sense is king! Plan ahead, and THINK!
As I said, it CAN be done! Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
We have dry camped with the temp down to 19 degrees in our 5th wheel with no problems.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Fireman37 wrote:
That sounds like a very good idea Ron
where did you find that mat?

Google "Floor Heating Mat" They are intended for warehouse/factory workers that need to stand in cold environments. I also use a 35F thermal switch for it to come on by itself, when needed.

I saw them listed at Home Depot and Target.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
20's shouldn't be an issue. I do like to drain the waste tanks but even that is likely fine if it's only getting down to the mid 20's.

Do Disconnect from city water (fill the fresh water tank...it won't freeze overnight.

Make sure to use the furnace, the heat bleeding off the living space should keep any pipes from freezing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Fireman37
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a very good idea Ron
where did you find that mat?

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I hang a 24x36" 120v AC floor heating mat in my wet bay during very cold weather.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L