cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is using swivel wheel/Idaho Tote type carriers ?

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a delima on how to safely haul a golf cart/UTV . I have been looking at the swivel wheel trailers , using a 2nd trailer ( double tow ), or on the extreme side just throwing in the towel & getting a toy hauler or TT with cart in pickup bed.
It's not any of the above I want to do but DW's mobility getting really bad. Looked at all-terrainn scooters but even broken down for transport I just can't pickup one of the parts ( 180+-). So my question is what are the folks in my situation doing ?
25 REPLIES 25

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sayoung wrote:
laknox wrote:
sayoung wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
If you are looking at tame riding, why not an inexpensive chinese unit. a small trike maybe?
Or if a bicycle styled unit would work
electric fat wheel trike
these are made for off road or sand usage and should be light enough to still go in the truck bed, or on a carrier either on the truck front or the 5er rear.

She can't do the pedaling required of the trikes. Good idea tho

It =is= electric.

Lyle

Per thier literature the motor only " assists " your pedalling

My brother's e-bike "assists" him pedaling, right up to about 25 mph on level ground. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
sayoung wrote:
If you are looking at tame riding, why not an inexpensive chinese unit. a small trike maybe?
electric fat wheel trike
these are made for off road or sand usage and should be light enough to still go in the truck bed, or on a carrier either on the truck front or the 5er rear.

It =is= electric.

Lyle

Per thier literature the motor only " assists " your pedalling

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sayoung wrote:
What size utility trailers are you dbl tow folks using ? DWs golf car will go on a 5/10 but if I go this route would like a bit bigger such as 6/12 ( gotta measure my total length now to be sure how long can I go ). Also does the 2nd trailer track behind the 5er or to the inside during a turn ?

Tailswing moves the rear hitch well to the outside, so a trailer tracks to the outside of the FW's track.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sayoung wrote:
electric fat wheel trike

It =is= electric.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sayoung wrote:
I'm in a delima on how to safely haul a golf cart/UTV . I have been looking at the swivel wheel trailers , using a 2nd trailer ( double tow ), or on the extreme side just throwing in the towel & getting a toy hauler or TT with cart in pickup bed.
It's not any of the above I want to do but DW's mobility getting really bad. Looked at all-terrainn scooters but even broken down for transport I just can't pickup one of the parts ( 180+-). So my question is what are the folks in my situation doing ?

Some states consider swivel-wheel totes "trailers", so consider them a "double-tow"...legally. From what I've read in the past 15 years on the fora, LEOs are likely to give you a pass with a tote, especially if you're not having other issues, but if Officer LEO's having a bad day (or just a d-bag in general), then you could be in trouble, like having to drop your "trailer" and pass through without it.

I've seen some very small "golf carts", almost like 1/2 size, and they'd probably be light enough to put on a rear rack. Just need robust tie-downs on both the rack and the cart.

That being said, using a tote =can= affect handling of your FW. My local "hitch guy" put one on a customer's FW, about 33-34' long, and ended up taking it off as it made the FW handle "like sh!t"; customer's words. I have no idea how large it was or what he was carrying that would lighten the pin that much.

Maybe consider one of these: http://actiontrackchair.com/trackchair-stSX/. :B:B:B

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
These bar holding straps (Canyon Dancer brand) need not be super snug to do a good job of securing. They are designed to secure sport bikes, which are normally hard to secure, due to body parts being in the way. You can get different sizes to fit most any bike. I used normal MC straps on the rear of street bike, using the frame for attachment, sitting on seat, while cinching snug. Worked well for me, even adding an off road bike, facing backward on each side, that I secured with normal MC straps.

I was confident, even with no rear camera on FW. If really rough, bumps, or road construction, I would add human observer to a rear swiver chair, to communicate with.

Jerry
I use a set of Canyon Dancers on the Interceptor how, and used a pair of them for the bikes when I was using the SmartTrailer. But they aren't as good as straight tie downs due to the design. You have to be careful on many sport bikes because of the alloy handlebars not being as strong as a good set of tubular bars.

We had a camera on the rear of our 5th wheel to observe the bikes, and while it never looked like the bikes were moving very much, real world observers reported a different story. However a three or four wheeler would be a completely different story, and I wouldn't hesitate to use a swivelwheel-type trailer for one of those.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
From experience I can tell you my Kendon MC trailer tracks outside the 5er. I was parked along side parallel to a curb. I needed to turn around so I cranked the wheel hard to the left and started rolling four lanes plus a turn lane. As I was part way I looked back to see the MC trailer jump over the curb with the curb side tire.

Maybe it was the conditions but I was shocked to see the MC violently move side to side. I stopped down the road a bit and tightened up the straps!

In this instance, I can understand, as the trailer tracks true, to rear of FW, where it is hitched. If your a$$ end swung well over curb, due to pulling away, 2nd trailer would follow.

Sounds like a COWBOY maneuver from the git/go!:W

Jerry

HA, it was. We were heading towards 29 Palms then I realized I was supposed to turn 32 miles back on Old Woman of the Springs Road. OOPS
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
From experience I can tell you my Kendon MC trailer tracks outside the 5er. I was parked along side parallel to a curb. I needed to turn around so I cranked the wheel hard to the left and started rolling four lanes plus a turn lane. As I was part way I looked back to see the MC trailer jump over the curb with the curb side tire.

Maybe it was the conditions but I was shocked to see the MC violently move side to side. I stopped down the road a bit and tightened up the straps!

In this instance, I can understand, as the trailer tracks true, to rear of FW, where it is hitched. If your a$$ end swung well over curb, due to pulling away, 2nd trailer would follow.

Sounds like a COWBOY maneuver from the git/go!:W

Jerry

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
What size utility trailers are you dbl tow folks using ? DWs golf car will go on a 5/10 but if I go this route would like a bit bigger such as 6/12 ( gotta measure my total length now to be sure how long can I go ). Also does the 2nd trailer track behind the 5er or to the inside during a turn ?

I’ve double towed a lot. Sometimes with boats. Sometimes with flatbeds with ATVs. My old boat was 21’ which meant close to 25’ of trailer length.

All my trailers have tracked the same as the RV.

Again, take it for what it’s worth, but I never had any problems going through states where my length was more than the legal limit. If you have a well set up unit, and don’t drive like an idiot, you won’t draw attention.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
These bar holding straps (Canyon Dancer brand) need not be super snug to do a good job of securing. They are designed to secure sport bikes, which are normally hard to secure, due to body parts being in the way. You can get different sizes to fit most any bike. I used normal MC straps on the rear of street bike, using the frame for attachment, sitting on seat, while cinching snug. Worked well for me, even adding an off road bike, facing backward on each side, that I secured with normal MC straps.

I was confident, even with no rear camera on FW. If really rough, bumps, or road construction, I would add human observer to a rear swiver chair, to communicate with.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, I moved away from the SmartTrailer, swivelwheel-type, because I felt there was excessive movement of the bikes. I couldn't seem to get the straps tight enough to keep the bikes from moving around. People traveling behind me said the movements looked rather violent when on bumpy roads.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mine is a 6x8 bed, but about 12' oal, and about 7.5' oaw. It will carry up to 2K lbs, which is the 12" tire wheel rating.

You know that a FW tracks to inside of TV in a turn, but 2nd trailer tracks true, direct track of FW.

Jerry

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer