Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Who is using swivel wheel/Idaho Tote type carriers ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Who is using swivel wheel/Idaho Tote type carriers ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
sayoung

Tx

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/27/21 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I pulled a Smart Trailer for a few years with two motorcycles on it. It's a swivel-wheel type trailer and worked great. You had to watch your tail swing, but the fact that you can back up with no problems is worth it. FWIW I pulled through and stayed in several of those red states with no issues. Never even rated a second look. But of course YMMV.

I actually just found a used one over in Louisiana but he wants more than new one but also found a place just south of DFW that sales & installs the Cruiserlift brand.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/27/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The SmartTrailer I had was the double wheel type. I never thought the single wheel would be able to handle the weight. I didn't know Cruiser Lift made a Swivelwheel trailer.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sayoung

Tx

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/28/21 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What size utility trailers are you dbl tow folks using ? DWs golf car will go on a 5/10 but if I go this route would like a bit bigger such as 6/12 ( gotta measure my total length now to be sure how long can I go ). Also does the 2nd trailer track behind the 5er or to the inside during a turn ?

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/28/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is a 6x8 bed, but about 12' oal, and about 7.5' oaw. It will carry up to 2K lbs, which is the 12" tire wheel rating.

You know that a FW tracks to inside of TV in a turn, but 2nd trailer tracks true, direct track of FW.

Jerry





Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/28/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From experience I can tell you my Kendon MC trailer tracks outside the 5er. I was parked along side parallel to a curb. I needed to turn around so I cranked the wheel hard to the left and started rolling four lanes plus a turn lane. As I was part way I looked back to see the MC trailer jump over the curb with the curb side tire.

Maybe it was the conditions but I was shocked to see the MC violently move side to side. I stopped down the road a bit and tightened up the straps!


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/28/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I moved away from the SmartTrailer, swivelwheel-type, because I felt there was excessive movement of the bikes. I couldn't seem to get the straps tight enough to keep the bikes from moving around. People traveling behind me said the movements looked rather violent when on bumpy roads.

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/28/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These bar holding straps (Canyon Dancer brand) need not be super snug to do a good job of securing. They are designed to secure sport bikes, which are normally hard to secure, due to body parts being in the way. You can get different sizes to fit most any bike. I used normal MC straps on the rear of street bike, using the frame for attachment, sitting on seat, while cinching snug. Worked well for me, even adding an off road bike, facing backward on each side, that I secured with normal MC straps.

[image]

I was confident, even with no rear camera on FW. If really rough, bumps, or road construction, I would add human observer to a rear swiver chair, to communicate with.

Jerry

Bionic Man

Colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 04/03/2009

View Profile



Posted: 11/28/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sayoung wrote:

What size utility trailers are you dbl tow folks using ? DWs golf car will go on a 5/10 but if I go this route would like a bit bigger such as 6/12 ( gotta measure my total length now to be sure how long can I go ). Also does the 2nd trailer track behind the 5er or to the inside during a turn ?


I’ve double towed a lot. Sometimes with boats. Sometimes with flatbeds with ATVs. My old boat was 21’ which meant close to 25’ of trailer length.

All my trailers have tracked the same as the RV.

Again, take it for what it’s worth, but I never had any problems going through states where my length was more than the legal limit. If you have a well set up unit, and don’t drive like an idiot, you won’t draw attention.


2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/28/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

From experience I can tell you my Kendon MC trailer tracks outside the 5er. I was parked along side parallel to a curb. I needed to turn around so I cranked the wheel hard to the left and started rolling four lanes plus a turn lane. As I was part way I looked back to see the MC trailer jump over the curb with the curb side tire.

Maybe it was the conditions but I was shocked to see the MC violently move side to side. I stopped down the road a bit and tightened up the straps!


In this instance, I can understand, as the trailer tracks true, to rear of FW, where it is hitched. If your a$$ end swung well over curb, due to pulling away, 2nd trailer would follow.

Sounds like a COWBOY maneuver from the git/go![emoticon]

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/28/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

From experience I can tell you my Kendon MC trailer tracks outside the 5er. I was parked along side parallel to a curb. I needed to turn around so I cranked the wheel hard to the left and started rolling four lanes plus a turn lane. As I was part way I looked back to see the MC trailer jump over the curb with the curb side tire.

Maybe it was the conditions but I was shocked to see the MC violently move side to side. I stopped down the road a bit and tightened up the straps!


In this instance, I can understand, as the trailer tracks true, to rear of FW, where it is hitched. If your a$$ end swung well over curb, due to pulling away, 2nd trailer would follow.

Sounds like a COWBOY maneuver from the git/go![emoticon]

Jerry


HA, it was. We were heading towards 29 Palms then I realized I was supposed to turn 32 miles back on Old Woman of the Springs Road. OOPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Who is using swivel wheel/Idaho Tote type carriers ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.