cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV roof chalky

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
My roof is pretty chalky, seems like the black layer is fine but top layer is beat. Is it something that can be coated or time for new? Thanks Michael
6 REPLIES 6

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hornnumb2 wrote:
My roof is pretty chalky, seems like the black layer is fine but top layer is beat. Is it something that can be coated or time for new? Thanks Michael

There is a cost verses return at this stage.

If you plan on keeping the camper a good long time, consider looking at these two products. They are a high solids roof coating with a warranty that will outlast your camping days. The recommended thickness for the open areas is 40 mil. Other areas over seams and joints are thicker.

Crazy Seal, 50 year warranty on the product, you order it online.https://crazyseal.com/

Henry Tropicool, life time warranty on the product, you can buy at some Home Depots or other commercial roofing supply places.
https://henry.com/retail/white-roof-coatings/887-tropi-cool-100-silicone-white-roof-coating

The Crazy Seal will cost more then the Henry. Both work very well. Both have 3 formulations/viscosities of product for different applications. Very thick product for patching over old caulk etc, a caulk style pump tube, (still thick), and large open area brush or roller thinner product.

Crazy Seal was developed for the RV industry. Henry is a commercial roofing company who developed the product for commercial roofs. They later expanded the rating for RV's due to it's ability for flex. Both have different marketing, one is in the RV industry, the other commercial roofing industry.

If your roof has large radiuses at the gutter rails and a 3 to 6" long vertical section of roof, lets talk about that.

A major need for these 2 coatings, and any other roof coating, the prep work to clean the roof is a must. This includes all caulk. The coatings will not bond to dirt and a no bond to dirt is not covered under warranty. I also suggest a demold of the roof before using the coating.

These two coatings will eliminate the need for any more Dicor or other brand of lap sealant.

If you have a dip on the roof, both of these coatings can handle ponding water and not break down.

If you have used Eternabond on the roof, let's talk about that as the 2 coatings above or other coatings will not stick long term to the top white layer of the Ebond. There are work arounds.

There are other coatings that cost less, they last shorter lengths of time, it comes back to how long you want to keep the camper.

Hope this helps.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although not needed I have for years occasionally applied Dicor liquid rubber to my TT roof for extra protection and keep roof nice white and clean looking and feelgood feeling to me. It was easy and fun using very long handle paint rollers with no mess to clean up.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
The chalking is normal, but annoying how it stains walls. I coated mine with Hengs Rubber Roof Coating. It worked great and keeps the RV much cooler than before. There are several out there, and I imagine they all perform similarly.

I used Heng's also this summer, has stopped the Chalking, and roof is staying cleaner.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The chalking is normal, but annoying how it stains walls. I coated mine with Hengs Rubber Roof Coating. It worked great and keeps the RV much cooler than before. There are several out there, and I imagine they all perform similarly.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wash my roof gently only prior to coating it with Hengโ€™s.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Normal. It chalks forming a protective layer that is a 100% UV protectant.

Many don't like the chalking, so they wash it off, and then apply a UV protectant.

It is your choice.
Personally, I have never washed my RV roofs in the 30+ years I have owned them.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW