cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace gas valve

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
My furnace is an older hydro flame 8531-II. the gas valve is not functioning so I was going to order a new one. But it appears that part number 31155 is no longer available. Does anyone know if the gas valves are more or less the same? I found one that looks similar except the propane inlet fitting is on the side rather than the back. Mine actually has a couple of fittings that connect to the propane line in the side. So Iโ€™m wondering if this alternate part would work.
16 REPLIES 16

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just WOW, what a pain! Hope mine holds up before having to do all that.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

truthsmiles
Explorer
Explorer
Bob E. wrote:
Thanks guys! These photos and information have been very helpful. I ordered the newer gas valve (#31098) because it looks like it has the gas inlet and outlet ports in the correct place (or at least close to it). Supposed to be delivered Thursday. I'll let you know if it works when I get a chance to mess with it...hopefully this weekend. If not, I may have to go with the 31150 and try to find that L-shaped tube on the outlet side. Otherwise, I don't think I will have enough room at the bottom of the valve to connect the gas line on the inlet side.

Hey guys just wanted to drop in here and thank everyone for this thread. I have the hydroflame 8531-iii and encountered the exact same problem of not being able to find the Atwood 31155 gas valve because, well, they just don't make them anymore.

So, even though I didn't know the results for Bob, I took the plunge and ordered the Dometic 31908 from Amazon as suggested, and it worked!

BUT... it's never that easy, right? It took several hours of trying different things and head scratching, but eventually I got it to work by installing it sideways with the input port pointing UP (solenoids on the left, touching the fan housing), and drilling a hole in the top sheet metal to bring in the gas line from above. Additionally, I had to move not just the orifice over from the old valve, but the orifice AND the carrier "tube". Mercifully, the threaded outlet port on the 31908 is 3/8" npt thread, just the same as the 31155, so no adapter required. I had to do this to provide enough clearance to plug the ignitor wire in.

Now, if drilling a new hole is absolutely out of the question for you, I think it WOULD be possible to very creatively use brass elbows and pipe nipples to get the input where you can use the existing side entrance setup. My GUESS is you'd probably want a 3/8" female flare to 1/4" female npt elbow, a couple of 1/4" street elbows, a 2" nipple (or maybe 1.5"?), and finally a female 1/4" npt to 3/8" male flare elbow. Alternatively, you might also be able to use a 3/8" flare street (swivel) elbow and a short piece of rubber/flexible propane hose - although with the exhaust pipe running through the same space I wouldn't take that kind of risk. Note that the inlet in this configuration is maybe an inch from the top sheet metal, so if you put an elbow on it will be touching the "ceiling" - not much room!

For me, just cutting the hole in the ceiling made the most sense. It was the least expensive option and I just sort of stuffed some fiberglass insulation around the copper line once the flare nut was poked through. The furnace is very old and I just need it to work. The RV is also old and doesn't move (much), so I'm not worried about rubbing. You might decide to install some sort of grommet if you're going to be moving.

Finally I might also note that there is a stamped bracket on the original valve that helps attach it to the fan housing, giving the whole works a little more rigidity. My furnace no longer has that feature due to the completely different valve and configuration.

Anyway, thanks again, especially to BFL13 who made the suggestion. I have heat now, which is what matters!

EDIT: Here's what it looks like installed...

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! These photos and information have been very helpful. I ordered the newer gas valve (#31098) because it looks like it has the gas inlet and outlet ports in the correct place (or at least close to it). Supposed to be delivered Thursday. I'll let you know if it works when I get a chance to mess with it...hopefully this weekend. If not, I may have to go with the 31150 and try to find that L-shaped tube on the outlet side. Otherwise, I don't think I will have enough room at the bottom of the valve to connect the gas line on the inlet side.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bob E. wrote:

For the 31150, the gas outlet is in the wrong place. In your 2nd photo, the gas outlet is on the far side. On the 31155, the gas outlet would be to the right where your finger tips are, which is how mine is. Once mine is mounted in the furnace, the solenoids sit upright and the gas flows straight through from back to front. I suppose I might be able to rotate a 31150 and mount it sideways and use some fittings to get the gas line to the inlet port, which would face down, which is how it looks like yours is mounted. But I donโ€™t have that L-shaped tube between the valve and the burner that is shown in your last photo.

Do you know if those caps with the allen head screws are removable? If so, could I swap the outlet from the side to the front?

Hi Bob,

It seems there are different versions with the -II rev. I'll add some more pics of the 31150 so you can see if you can make it work. I looked in the 2003, 2007 and 2015 service manual and the -II rev 8500 series furnace called out a different valve part number in each manual. It seems they kept changing suppliers or valves etc along the way. I know the coils are slightly different on the wire connections on the new 31150 verses they old valve (2003 vintage) I replaced, but that did not stop the new valve from working.

The 31150 is made as a 90 degree valve. There is a pipe plug on the non outlet side opposite the actual outlet port, smaller NPT size but there is one. The 31150 had no outlet straight through from the inlet port like is seems you need.

I will have 2 of the 31150's arriving this week. I can take more pics or measure if that helps any.

See here for some more pics I have from earlier this year.

The inlet is on the right in this pic. See the molded in flow arrow.

The opposite side plugged outlet, smaller NPT port

There is no port on opposite end of the inlet port on the 31150

Here is the gas valve installed on the bench in 2010 in these 2 pics. These pics are of a 2003 vintage gas valve as that was when the camper was made the pics came from

Also to note, this pic is from 2010 as the date says and that valve is from a 8530-IV from 2003 which "looks" like it might have had a plugged discharge port straight out opposite the inlet. That feature went away with the current day 31150.

And this pic is of a 8520-IV and the valve is from 2003 installed. It too has what might be a port straight out, but again, That feature went away with the current day 31150.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that 31150 would work. Just screw in your own inlet and outlet parts to the "back" and "front" holes (where those red things are?)

The burners are on Amazon. They now have a metal cover over the orifice then the screen starts. Works the same.

The sparker set they sell now has bent probes instead of straight like OEM. I was able to get separation above the screen by using washers as shims to tilt it up a bit. Hard to explain. I have a photo of that somewhere: OEM straight set seen there too. The straight ones were too far above the new burner screen and the new bent set was touching the screen, but is ok shimmed up as seen there.

Photo in Profile

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Here are three photos of what goes in an 8531-II or III. It appears the gas valve is part of this assembly. 25M16V Type 701 is marked on it as shown.

Yeahโ€ฆthatโ€™s exactly what mine looks like. Iโ€™m actually rebuilding my camper from scratch so I have some freedom to adjust my gas line however I need it. I just need a valve that will bolt up to my furnace and allow it to run.

By the way, Iโ€™ve heard the actual burners are obsolete as well. I see youโ€™ve gone through a couple. Where do you get replacements? I donโ€™t need one now, but I might buy a couple to have on hand just in case.

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
Bob E. wrote:
My furnace is an older hydro flame 8531-II. the gas valve is not functioning so I was going to order a new one. But it appears that part number 31155 is no longer available. Does anyone know if the gas valves are more or less the same? I found one that looks similar except the propane inlet fitting is on the side rather than the back. Mine actually has a couple of fittings that connect to the propane line in the side. So Iโ€™m wondering if this alternate part would work.

Hi,

I'm not sure where you found the Atwood 31155 aligns to the Atwood 8531-II.

From the 2015 service manual, they call out 38607 for the 8531-II. And and the 38607 is now obsolete and I found the trail that 31150 is what replaces it. The 2015 manual says the 31155 fits the 85XX-LD furnace.

I have bought and installed 2 of the 31150 this year with the last installed one in October. And ordered 2 more for stock last week.

See if this will work on your setup. Pics below.

The 31150 looks like this

A bench leak test on the new one before I intall.

The is the old one leaking, but a pic of the orfice tube you have to move from the old to the new.

Duct tape is over the gas line brass fitting for the inlet

If the 31150 is what you are looking for, here are 2 places I have bought from with positive outcomes.
https://pantherrvproducts.com/31150/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAy4eNBhCaARIsAFDVtI1_GmJlz19kVMwZV8JZAGXS8hQVNCG9E...

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Atwood-31150-Gas-Valve-For-Hydro-Flame-Furnaces-p/41-0100.htm?gclid=C...

https://www.dyersonline.com/atwood-38604-furnace-hydro-flame-side-out-gas-valve.html

Hope this helps

John

For the 31150, the gas outlet is in the wrong place. In your 2nd photo, the gas outlet is on the far side. On the 31155, the gas outlet would be to the right where your finger tips are, which is how mine is. Once mine is mounted in the furnace, the solenoids sit upright and the gas flows straight through from back to front. I suppose I might be able to rotate a 31150 and mount it sideways and use some fittings to get the gas line to the inlet port, which would face down, which is how it looks like yours is mounted. But I donโ€™t have that L-shaped tube between the valve and the burner that is shown in your last photo.

Do you know if those caps with the allen head screws are removable? If so, could I swap the outlet from the side to the front?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are three photos of what goes in an 8531-II or III. It appears the gas valve is part of this assembly. 25M16V Type 701 is marked on it as shown.

Photo in Profile

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not clear on above parts shown, but mine all goes with this piece where you screw the sparkers on so they are "above" the burner screen (but they are both "sideways" in the furnace)

I see mine has a way bigger hole in it for the fan. There is something different in the way the gas pipe bends around at the plate that screws on there where the burner goes on the other side in the other version too-mine is straight.

I have no slack in the inlet gas line from the propane tank, so the inlet on the part has to be just right there. If it were farther away a bit like the panther one might be (hard to tell) it would not work for me. If you have some slack, or room to run an extra piece of gas line over to it, that would be good.

Photo in Profile

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bob E. wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure where you found the Atwood 31155 aligns to the Atwood 8531-II.

From the 2015 service manual, they call out 38607 for the 8531-II. And and the 38607 is now obsolete and I found the trail that 31150 is what replaces it. The 2015 manual says the 31155 fits the 85XX-LD furnace.

I have bought and installed 2 of the 31150 this year with the last installed one in October. And ordered 2 more for stock last week.

See if this will work on your setup. Pics below.

The 31150 looks like this

A bench leak test on the new one before I intall.

The is the old one leaking, but a pic of the orfice tube you have to move from the old to the new.

Duct tape is over the gas line brass fitting for the inlet

If the 31150 is what you are looking for, here are 2 places I have bought from with positive outcomes.
https://pantherrvproducts.com/31150/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAy4eNBhCaARIsAFDVtI1_GmJlz19kVMwZV8JZAGXS8hQVNCG9E...

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Atwood-31150-Gas-Valve-For-Hydro-Flame-Furnaces-p/41-0100.htm?gclid=C...

https://www.dyersonline.com/atwood-38604-furnace-hydro-flame-side-out-gas-valve.html

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the photo of mine it shows the inlet down low on the "side" that connects to the gas line from the propane tank. Inlet is pointing to the right when looking at the furnace from outside the rig where the control board is on the far left.

The burner on mine is turned 90 degrees the other way from the panther link's diagrams (three versions in their third photo). I suppose you can just turn that as needed.
Photo in Profile

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
I have the 8531-II and have some parts from a III in it. I can't keep the part numbers straight. I found this info:

"Note there are three versions of gas valves that are applicable to the models listed below. Prior to ordering, please compare the picture of the valve to your existing valve to ensure that you are ordering the correct gas valve. If you have a 31096 or 31097 gas valve, you must order the 31155 and transfer the fitting, coil harness and the gas manifold from the old unit."

https://pantherrvproducts.com/31098/

I have a photo of either the II or III's with some other parts-burnt out burners etc. That shows how the gas valve is in a II or III (same). Not sure what is meant by "side" in the OP

What I mean by โ€œsideโ€ isโ€ฆif I assume the gas outlet feeding the burner is the โ€œfrontโ€ of the valve, then the gas inlet is on the rear of the valve feeding straight through. However, mine also has a 90 degree fitting and then a short โ€œSโ€ fitting at the inlet so that the gas line actually enters the furnace box from the side. The replacement gas valve shown in your Panther link is the one I was looking at with the inlet on the side where my gas line enters the furnace box without the two fittings I mentioned. It looks like it should work but I figured Iโ€™d ask before I blew anything up.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the 8531-II and have some parts from a III in it. I can't keep the part numbers straight. I found this info:

"Note there are three versions of gas valves that are applicable to the models listed below. Prior to ordering, please compare the picture of the valve to your existing valve to ensure that you are ordering the correct gas valve. If you have a 31096 or 31097 gas valve, you must order the 31155 and transfer the fitting, coil harness and the gas manifold from the old unit."

https://pantherrvproducts.com/31098/

I have a photo of either the II or III's with some other parts-burnt out burners etc. That shows how the gas valve is in a II or III (same). Not sure what is meant by "side" in the OP

Photo in Profile

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted
Photo in Profile