cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling Jack Creaking/Popping

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Having had our Open Road 36 LA for about 3 months now and aside from all the issues we have had with this unit so far, one of the most annoying things has been the creaking and popping noises from the leveling jacks while stationary.

It became rather annoying and having read on various forums others having this issue I purchased some silicone spray and fork oil. Being the skeptic I decided to try these fixes to this issue and also decided to take it one step at a time. Last week I took each jack while deployed and wiped down each shaft and sprayed each with silicone spray. I then retracted the jacks and redeployed them. A week later, not a creak or pop to be heard. The silence is beautiful.

I want to see how long this lasts before reapplying any spray or siphoning out a quart of hydraulic fluid and adding the fork oil. Hopefully this will be the cure and for once an easy fix.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4
7 REPLIES 7

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Alex and Tee wrote:
Tiffin stopped using that brand this year and now use Lippert jacks. Fork oil is used in motorcycle forks and is recommended by Lippert as an additive to the hydraulic oil.

I believe Tiffin still uses HWH. They dropped HWH on just the Open Road models. And yes, the Additive will stop the problem. They used to call the additive anti/Sticksion additive. This is LCI's fix for the problem on their jacks.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
OK on what the fork oil is, thanks.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
When my Class A did that, the dealer told me to put a little more weight on the jack which was doing the popping/creaking. It worked for me.

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin stopped using that brand this year and now use Lippert jacks. Fork oil is used in motorcycle forks and is recommended by Lippert as an additive to the hydraulic oil.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of jacks do you have? I have had good luck with silicone spray on my HWH jacks. I have never heard of fork oil, what is that?
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
As you get older and your hearing worsens the only snap crackle and pop will be your joints. Fork oil and silicone won't stop that.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Probably more about your suspension relaxing/moving than the jacks.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS