cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puck system & hitch questions

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
I'm moving from a LB GM to a Ford with 6.75' bed. The truck does not have factory installed puck system. I want to stick with a new B&W slider hitch (I don't think that a slider is required with my 2015 5th wheel's rounded nose, but want the option of using it). Will be pulling 12,300lbs.

- Which puck system should I have the dealer install?
- Can the Patriot slider easily handle 12.2k lbs? I know it is rated for 18k but has anyone heard of issues with it?

Thanks
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC
30 REPLIES 30

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Finding the Puck system to install may be the hard part if you are in a hurry. A lack of the puck system is delaying Ford truck builds. I heard they are only being allowed on custom ordered trucks, and dealers can't order trucks with Pucks for stock, and is for the duration on 2022 trucks.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
humblerb wrote:
Going through this now with a RAM 2500 Short Bed, moving to a RAM 3500 Long Bed.
Patriot Slider is set up on rails in 2500 SB.
The 3500 LB has pucks. BW only makes a puck adapter for the Companion.
BW Rep told me on the phone that Demco makes a frame adapter that the Slider will fit on, but it won't slide, because it sets too high.
If I was using a SB, I would have the rails installed and use the slider.
It costs $1200 to have a new rear window installed and the post repaired. Ask me how I know. UGH.
With a Short Bed, you won't need the Slider.....until you do.

It's really simple! Sell what you have on CL. Now buy the proper hitch for the puck system you have like this.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Going through this now with a RAM 2500 Short Bed, moving to a RAM 3500 Long Bed.
Patriot Slider is set up on rails in 2500 SB.
The 3500 LB has pucks. BW only makes a puck adapter for the Companion.
BW Rep told me on the phone that Demco makes a frame adapter that the Slider will fit on, but it won't slide, because it sets too high.
If I was using a SB, I would have the rails installed and use the slider.
It costs $1200 to have a new rear window installed and the post repaired. Ask me how I know. UGH.
With a Short Bed, you won't need the Slider.....until you do.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
To those using Andersen's, please be aware that the Andersen =is= a ball hitch and many states require safety chains, just as if you were towing a gooseneck trailer. Yeah, the chances of you getting stopped for it are pretty slim, but why take the risk?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
riltri wrote:
After talking to a few 5th wheelers who tow with SB trucks and own 5th wheels with the Turn Tec nose, I have decided to go with the Anderson Ultimate secured to the gooseneck ball. A big change from the Companion fixed that I have been using. Will also help with the payload that I'm close to maxing out as Lyle correctly pointed out.

Thanks again for all the help.

This is exactly what my brother did for his new RAM 3500 LB. Mine is a standard box (6'10") and I use an Andersen with the factory gooseneck puck.

Another advantage to using the Andersen is that (when installed in the conventional position) it adds extra distance from the pin to the truck cab further reducing the chances of making contact.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
buck n duck wrote:
Just get an adapter for the puck system and use existing hitch.

IMHO that is throwing good money after bad. Sell the hitch on CL and then buy a new puck hitch.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

buck_n_duck
Explorer
Explorer
Just get an adapter for the puck system and use existing hitch.
Brian

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I saw this to late, when I bought my new ford it didnt have the puck system in it , but it was a kit you could buy and have installed. I got it up here 400ish bucks, and the spots for the holes that need to be drilled are marked out in the box already, so I drilled the holes out and then when I went to remove the box bolts I broke few bits, so I took it to ford and had them finish the install. I would do it all over again if I bought a new truck that didnt have it as the puck system is so much nicer than having rails in the box.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
riltri wrote:
After talking to a few 5th wheelers who tow with SB trucks and own 5th wheels with the Turn Tec nose, I have decided to go with the Anderson Ultimate secured to the gooseneck ball. A big change from the Companion fixed that I have been using. Will also help with the payload that I'm close to maxing out as Lyle correctly pointed out.

Good choice , although I tow with the steel Andersen ,and the adapter as said . More ,and more are going they way you are , I see many in my travels .

riltri
Explorer
Explorer

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
riltri wrote:
MNRon wrote:
Why would you cancel the 5er package on a new truck? I believe it comes with in-bed 7pin and some other things. I also ordered an F350 within the last month and can’t imagine not getting the 5er package.

Actually found/bought a F250 with 6.75 bed that came into the dealership the previous night but it does not have the puck system. I'm trying to decide on a hitch but I do NOT want rails permanently mounted in the bed. The dealer quoted the Patriot but I did not realize it required the rails when I wrote the check.

It appears that I will need a rail adapter that can be easily removed. Still searching!!

IMO, with a 12.3k FW, your 250's going to be right at the edge of its payload capacity. It's not what you can tow, it's what you can carry. Double-check your payload numbers. Just sayin'...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The Patriot is available in an 18K slider, but I don't think for pucks, unless recent development."

YES the pic I saw at first showing the Patriot slider did have the rails but I looked too quick. Further investigation the Patriot slider is only available in rail form not puck. So the OP needs the higher rated Companion PUCK slider. Agreed the puck system is the best for many reasons. The Patriot line riding on rails are great if you don't mind the the rails.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
riltri wrote:
MNRon wrote:
Why would you cancel the 5er package on a new truck? I believe it comes with in-bed 7pin and some other things. I also ordered an F350 within the last month and can’t imagine not getting the 5er package.

Actually found/bought a F250 with 6.75 bed that came into the dealership the previous night but it does not have the puck system. I'm trying to decide on a hitch but I do NOT want rails permanently mounted in the bed. The dealer quoted the Patriot but I did not realize it required the rails when I wrote the check.

It appears that I will need a rail adapter that can be easily removed. Still searching!!

Its not a bad way to go if you have the puck system, the adapter. But direct fit to the pucks is the more simple way , it eliminates the additional cost of the adapter ,and removal when not needed.

At the time I bought my present truck with the fifth prep ,there were not a lot of choices on hitches that fit the pucks, plus I wanted to stay with my existing manual sliding hitch, so I went the adapter . Although I can remove the adapter I very seldom do. I have since went to the steel Andersen that also fits on the adapter .

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^ I'm thinking this is what OPs dealer has in mind. Hope not, but would explain the use of rail style hitch.

Jerry