cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

suggestions for a better shower head????

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
im looking for suggestions for a shower head that will give a wider spray of water.
the one that i have now sprays about a 2inch pattern at 24inches from the shower head, and I would prefer to have one that has about a 5inch spray pattern....

due to heartlands use of the plastic fittings in the 1/2" pex line, which only have a 5/16 pathway thru them, more water flow and pressure is not an option without replacing all the joints with metal fittings, or upgrading to a larger size line thruout the freshwater plumbing system....

those of you who have a good spray pattern from your shower head, what brand or type are you using?.... thanks
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...
11 REPLIES 11

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
centerline wrote:

....wetting down in the shower, stopping the water, then soaping up from the the feet to the head, and then rinsing well usually consumes about 1.5 gallons of water.....

I would imagine that is the case if you use something like the Oxygenics showerhead that blasts at a gallon a minute. My whole shower, from toes to the top of my head and a good rinse takes about a gallon or less with a shower head that can be dialed back to low flow.

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Sandia Man wrote:
A gallon a minute is pretty good IMO for a showerhead.....

Not for me. I regularly stay in places without hookups and often where water is scarce. I use 1 gallon of water or less for my daily shower. I wet down with a dribble of water, soap up and rinse again with a dribble of water. I have also solved the waste issue adjusting the temperature. I only use the water heater for showers and know how long to run the heater to get the water to a comfortable temp. My only waste is about a cup of water getting the hot water from the tank to the shower head.

the rating of the shower head is more about how much water the head will flow at whatever pressure it was tested at.... and 1 gal per minute is pretty good when compared to the 2gpm flow of residential shower heads.

what YOU prefer is irrelevent to the RATED gpm flow of a given shower head, which can be user adjusted by lessening the flow or pressure thru it with either knob on the mixing valve, and by the selection of pump one chooses to use..

as you and others have also stated, conserving water is necessary for those of us who prefer to boondock away from the crowds of rv "park" hoppers, who generally have an unlimited supply of both water and power, and never have a need to learn how to conserve water in the shower.
wetting down in the shower, stopping the water, then soaping up from the the feet to the head, and then rinsing well usually consumes about 1.5 gallons of water..... we have used this same method for years on both our boat and in the RV.

personally, every shower I own or have ever owned has had a mirror installed in it, so that I can shave while there, which also saves a little bit of water

sometimes when we know we will be taking on water, we may splurge and waste a bit of water while taking a longer shower, but once a person gets used to the military type shower, it seems like a waste of time to stay so long in the confines of the shower stall.

we also carry a 5gal shower bag that can be filled from any fresh water source and left out in the sun to warm up... there is enough water in the 5 gallon bag for 4 showers that will adaquatley clean and rinse all your pits and bits, but only 2, maybe 3 showers if you need to wash down your entire body thoroughly, which is necessary if you have been riding ATV's or horses all day....

and there are those people who live in the hot, humid areas, where taking a couple showers a day is nice, and sometimes necessary, but i think most of us take a shower once a day, or every second or third day when needing to conserve water when boondocking for extended periods....
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sandia Man wrote:
A gallon a minute is pretty good IMO for a showerhead.....

Not for me. I regularly stay in places without hookups and often where water is scarce. I use 1 gallon of water or less for my daily shower. I wet down with a dribble of water, soap up and rinse again with a dribble of water. I have also solved the waste issue adjusting the temperature. I only use the water heater for showers and know how long to run the heater to get the water to a comfortable temp. My only waste is about a cup of water getting the hot water from the tank to the shower head.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
A gallon a minute is pretty good IMO for a showerhead, no wonder our Oxygenics has proven a water saver for us. We shower daily without exception, twice if we are swimming in river, lake, or ocean, great to know we are using just a couple of gallons if even that much since it is rare we run showerhead more than 2 minutes total. We have been RVing for 3 decades and boondocking is easily our favorite method, all the stock showerheads in the various rigs were changed out for Oxygenics versions, we noticed a significant reduction in FW usage compared to stock, a more invigorating stream was an added bonus.

dedmiston
This weekend I was thinking to myself, why is it that the residential shower at home always feels "pretty good" but showering in the RV feels so amazing? It was especially dusty and grubby at camp this weekend, so I showered every night before bed. I don't know why this feels like such a luxury.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Oxygenics with an added shut off valve where the hose connects to the head. By using the valve I can fully shut off the water and it's the same temp when opened. With the lever on the head only shutting it iff there is still some flow and when re opened you have to wait for the temp to even out.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
The Oxygenics works great if you want a fairly powerful spray. It is horrible for conserving water if you do not have hook ups. Check their webpage. The Oxygenics heads are designed to use a full gallon of water per minute and they do not work at all well if you need to conserve water.

That is why 'Navy' showers are recommended for water conservation. Run the water get wet, shut the water off, soap up. run the water to rinse. Does not matter what shower head you use. And just for your info, in the Navy we went weeks or months without even a "Navy" shower on submarines.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Oxygenics works great if you want a fairly powerful spray. It is horrible for conserving water if you do not have hook ups. Check their webpage. The Oxygenics heads are designed to use a full gallon of water per minute and they do not work at all well if you need to conserve water.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
X10

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto the Oxygenics Shower head.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Oxygenics is probably the most popular: Oxygenics Shower Head
They work on low flow making your limited hot water supply last longer. There are several different versions not just the above. We have had one for years.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper