Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should I get a new hitch in my new truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Should I get a new hitch in my new truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Durb

NW

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/29/21 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Companion is a fine hitch but is considered a solid hitch and absorbing shock is an overstatement. The most comfortable hitch to tow with would be a Trailer Saver TS3. Unfortunately, it does not come factory equipped to fit a Ford puck system without an adapter.

You mention the hitch might stay in the truck so bed rails could be an option saving you some money over the puck system. New truck, might as well protect it with a highly effective shock absorbing, comfortable towing, hitch. I've had a B&W Patriot and a TS3, not in the same league.

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

A Companion is a fine hitch but is considered a solid hitch and absorbing shock is an overstatement. The most comfortable hitch to tow with would be a Trailer Saver TS3. Unfortunately, it does not come factory equipped to fit a Ford puck system without an adapter.

You mention the hitch might stay in the truck so bed rails could be an option saving you some money over the puck system. New truck, might as well protect it with a highly effective shock absorbing, comfortable towing, hitch. I've had a B&W Patriot and a TS3, not in the same league.


Not sure if you are joking.[emoticon] Comparing a $600 Patriot to a $3,000 air ride hitch, plus rail cost/installation cost, plus $600 adapter needed, if using the pucks.[emoticon] If you NEED a TS3, you may have other issues! I agree the TS3 is a great hitch.

Since the Companion has a shock absorber, and absorbs shock, with no banging or clunking, what was wrong in my statement?

Jerry





MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

MFL wrote:

The FW prep added to Ford from factory, should not be nearly $1,000? It is a no-brainer to add this option!

Yes, who doesn't want a new hitch, in their new truck? [emoticon]

No you don't need a heavy slider in a standard bed Ford. Sell yours, get a new 3300 from B&W to drop right in the pucks. This hitch will absorb shock, adjust ahead/back, and is VERY user friendly. Easy to hitch/unhitch, any angle. Two pieces, head 75 lbs, base 78 lbs. High quality hitch design, fit, and finish!

Jerry


You seem to be wanting my title as "President of the B&W HeavyWeight FanBoy Club" [emoticon]


Title...nope, had those in the past. It's the $$$, that go with a title! So MAYBE...hard times, require desperate measures. [emoticon]

Jerry

rhagfo

Portland, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Durb wrote:

A Companion is a fine hitch but is considered a solid hitch and absorbing shock is an overstatement. The most comfortable hitch to tow with would be a Trailer Saver TS3. Unfortunately, it does not come factory equipped to fit a Ford puck system without an adapter.

You mention the hitch might stay in the truck so bed rails could be an option saving you some money over the puck system. New truck, might as well protect it with a highly effective shock absorbing, comfortable towing, hitch. I've had a B&W Patriot and a TS3, not in the same league.


Not sure if you are joking.[emoticon] Comparing a $600 Patriot to a $3,000 air ride hitch, plus rail cost/installation cost, plus $600 adapter needed, if using the pucks.[emoticon] If you NEED a TS3, you may have other issues! I agree the TS3 is a great hitch.

Since the Companion has a shock absorber, and absorbs shock, with no banging or clunking, what was wrong in my statement?

Jerry


Really a TS3 to tow a 12,000# 5er, a bit of overkill.


Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"


Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

A Companion is a fine hitch but is considered a solid hitch and absorbing shock is an overstatement. The most comfortable hitch to tow with would be a Trailer Saver TS3. Unfortunately, it does not come factory equipped to fit a Ford puck system without an adapter.

You mention the hitch might stay in the truck so bed rails could be an option saving you some money over the puck system. New truck, might as well protect it with a highly effective shock absorbing, comfortable towing, hitch. I've had a B&W Patriot and a TS3, not in the same league.


I would never claim the B&W is shock absorbing at all, I do claim it's ROCK SOLID.

I have factory rear air ride on my truck and a TrailAir pin box that has a bag and fore and aft absorption. It's an AWESOME combination. OH, I only have 6k pin weight.

[image]


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Durb

NW

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/30/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

MFL wrote:

Durb wrote:

A Companion is a fine hitch but is considered a solid hitch and absorbing shock is an overstatement. The most comfortable hitch to tow with would be a Trailer Saver TS3. Unfortunately, it does not come factory equipped to fit a Ford puck system without an adapter.

You mention the hitch might stay in the truck so bed rails could be an option saving you some money over the puck system. New truck, might as well protect it with a highly effective shock absorbing, comfortable towing, hitch. I've had a B&W Patriot and a TS3, not in the same league.


Not sure if you are joking.[emoticon] Comparing a $600 Patriot to a $3,000 air ride hitch, plus rail cost/installation cost, plus $600 adapter needed, if using the pucks.[emoticon] If you NEED a TS3, you may have other issues! I agree the TS3 is a great hitch.

Since the Companion has a shock absorber, and absorbs shock, with no banging or clunking, what was wrong in my statement?

Jerry


Really a TS3 to tow a 12,000# 5er, a bit of overkill.


I get a kick at how many think chucking is merely hitch noise from a loose hookup. You don't know what chucking is until your head is bouncing off the headrest and your wife has to hold her chest. The Patriot has the same urethane bushing setup the Companion has which some refer to as shock absorbers, they aren't. My 10,000# trailer is a chucking machine, probably still is. The Trailer Saver keeps the chucking forces from reaching my seat back. I roll over a bump which I feel in the truck. When the trailer rolls over the same bump I feel nothing in the truck.

I liked my Patriot hitch, it was a well built unit. However the tow was so uncomfortable with it that my wife told me to sell the trailer after half an hour. $3,000 is overkill? Best money I ever spent for the fifth wheel and towing experience.

Got no problems with the B&W fan boys, they are good hitches. I am a Trailer Saver fan boy and realize there are hitches that do a lot more.

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

The Patriot has the same urethane bushing setup the Companion has which some refer to as shock absorbers, they aren't.


The Patriot has the same bushings, but no shock absorber, like the Companion has. This shock does not correct chucking.

No one mentioned chucking, until you described your severe issue above. No, the Companion would not fix that, but a $3,000 bandaid should not be necessary! Even that, likely did not correct the PROBLEM, but only removed/masked the jarring feel in the truck. If you, and especially your wife are happy with that hitch, and resulting ride in the truck, that is great. [emoticon]

While many, towing FWs, experience various level of chucking, on certain roads, most can be corrected, by either speeding up a bit/slowing down a bit, if rig is properly set up. Works for me, on the rare occasions I've experienced this, with several FWs, and hitch brands.

For the OP, I stand by my recommendation...get the puck system, and a quality hitch that fits direct to pucks.

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer Saver are also top quality with a simple solid latching mechanism. If I did not have my current pin box I would consider one. But I really think they need to step up and make a puck hitch.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

you can get decent cash for the Pullrite... I did this 2 years ago when my 2020 long bed Ford was due to hit... I Sold the perfectly good circa 2006 Pullrite for $400.00 and put that money towards a Brand Spanking New B & W Companion and am thrilled I did.....


Testament to my statement above "who doesn't want a new hitch in their new truck"!

Good advice here!

Jerry



I didn't, the Reese Signature hitch I had at the time was just fine . Plus getting the adapter at that time ,gave me plenty of options. Also accommodated my steel Andersen later on ,which IMO can't be beat for simplicity easy of hitching etc etc etc .


But if I had that Superglide , I would dump it ,after seeing the issues I have seen with them .

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

MFL wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

you can get decent cash for the Pullrite... I did this 2 years ago when my 2020 long bed Ford was due to hit... I Sold the perfectly good circa 2006 Pullrite for $400.00 and put that money towards a Brand Spanking New B & W Companion and am thrilled I did.....


Testament to my statement above "who doesn't want a new hitch in their new truck"!

Good advice here!

Jerry



I didn't, the Reese Signature hitch I had at the time was just fine . Plus getting the adapter at that time ,gave me plenty of options. Also accommodated my steel Andersen later on ,which IMO can't be beat for simplicity easy of hitching etc etc etc .


But if I had that Superglide , I would dump it ,after seeing the issues I have seen with them .


Most times Sons are more spoiled, than their Dad! Did your Son get a new hitch yet, for that Super new truck he just got? Since he got the best truck, hoping he got the best drop in hitch too! [emoticon]

Hope he is enjoying all!

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Should I get a new hitch in my new truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.