Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Gas Engine - Fill It Up
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas Engine - Fill It Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Lots of gasser guys in denial. You certainly have to be more selective when fueling a gasser while hitched.
Once upon a time, I had a V-10 Excursion and a 39' TT getting gas was much more challenging then getting diesel.
I eventually traded the V-10 in for a 7.3 PSD Excursion.
Getting fuel was less of a challenge with the diesel.

Having had a diesel in the past, we tried the truck lanes a few times...no thanks to standing in a puddle of diesel.

If you are half way competent handling the rig, it's a non-issue pulling up to a gas pump.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Lots of gasser guys in denial. You certainly have to be more selective when fueling a gasser while hitched.
Once upon a time, I had a V-10 Excursion and a 39' TT getting gas was much more challenging then getting diesel.

Having had a diesel in the past, we tried the truck lanes a few times...no thanks to standing in a puddle of diesel.

If you are half way competent handling the rig, it's a non-issue pulling up to a gas pump.

If it were truly a non issue this thread and many with the same topic would not exist
Yes there are some dirty diesel pumps, but there are also some less desireable gas pumps. Cleanliness is a seperate issue.
People are not researching,scouting and reviewing google satelite images for puddles.
They are simply looking for accessible pumps. Finding accesible diesel pumps is much easier than finding accesible gas pumps. Somehow some are still in denial and pretend gas pumps are equally accesible.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/21 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am just old enough to remember when the truck islands had both diesel and gas pumps. However, I too am switching from a diesel to a gas. I am installing an in bed gasoline tank, with pump and filter. I should only need to fill once a day.

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/21 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

If it were truly a non issue this thread and many with the same topic would not exist
Yes there are some dirty diesel pumps, but there are also some less desireable gas pumps. Cleanliness is a seperate issue.
People are not researching,scouting and reviewing google satelite images for puddles.
They are simply looking for accessible pumps. Finding accesible diesel pumps is much easier than finding accesible gas pumps. Finding accesible diesel pumps is much easier than finding accesible gas pumps. Somehow some are still in denial and pretend gas pumps are equally accesible.

^^That is why I asked the question. When I pull our 5th to Florida, my wife follows in her truck (gas) pulling a 20' center console boat. I never have issues getting to the diesel pumps but there have been times that we had trouble finding easy access for her truck/boat.

Unfortunately with the gas, I will need to fill up twice per pay with the 5th attached. We will make it work....just looking for suggestions. I had not thought about using Google Sattelite. Great idea!! Thanks!!

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread brings back the trials and tribulations we went through when we towed our 30+ ft. TT's and 5r's. Wasn't fond of using the big rig, truck stop fuel lanes. Noisy, messy as hell. Prices typically 20-30 cents higher. More times than not had to walk inside to pay--sometimes waiting 10-15 min. On those occasions we fueled up elsewhere, it took the usual google satellite check to make sure there was enough room to maneuver before committing. The last 3 years with our truck camper has been a real joy in this regard. Any stop, fuel or otherwise, is just so much easier.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Sure they would...it's simple fear of the unknown.

The guys who drive gas rigs pretty much always say it's a non-issue. It's the guys who have never towed or have always used the truck lanes that ask.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Sure they would...it's simple fear of the unknown.

The guys who drive gas rigs pretty much always say it's a non-issue. It's the guys who have never towed or have always used the truck lanes that ask.
I would venture to say gassers typically haul smaller, lighter rigs. Diesels typically pull longer, heavier rigs. The longer, larger the rig, the more difficult it is to maneuver.

Yes, we've seen a number of folks with large TT/5r's fuel up using the gas/diesel islands. We've done it a few times ourselves. However, it goes without saying a 60 ft. long rig tends to disrupt the efficient flow of pedestrian and vehicle traffic in and around their rig. Most gas/diesel islands are not designed to accommodate longer rigs like this. Some folks are comfortable with this disruption, some are not. Sometimes it's not all about skill.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not about skill. It's about convenience. I have the skill to back up a 1/2 mile down a single lane road to turn around, but it certainly is inconvenient and not the best approach to making a u turn.
Finding fuel should be convenient

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mostly, you get used to it. If on hyways, there are usally choices. You learn to choose wisely. A few times it was an issue with me, once when someone else blocked my forward lane and parked where I needed to turn. Another time , and this was me not paying attention, I pulled into a city during rush hour. There was no where to pull into a station without blocking a street, or coming close to hitting people rushing home from work, so I went back on the road and got off a few exits down. Just dont wait untill your on e to get gas. And , first trip I learned to never take the truck lanes. Some states have the rest stops for trucks only go to diesel pumps, and then stright back on the hyway. Who knew?

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/21 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sometimes takes patience. I am 53 ft. I don't mind being "rude" and positioning myself as needed to fuel up. My wife doesn't mind directing traffic. Almost every tight spot is caused by a motorist thatt is not cognizant of his surroundings and willing to make the necessary concessions.
We take only as much time is needed to run the card, fuel, and acquire receipt.
If we have any business inside the establishment I pull away from the pump.

In all of our miles of travel the times we got jammed up at a fuel stop can be counted on one hand!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas Engine - Fill It Up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.