Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Rivian towing efficiency
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Rivian towing efficiency

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/30/21 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

62% range reduction sounds like much more than would expect if I were towing the rig with my F150 but as a Tesla owner I expected towing to hit an EV harder than an ICE powered one for several reasons..
Is that what it said? I see this:


"which evidently resulted in a 62% degradation of the battery after just 118 miles of travel."

If 62% got you 118 miles I would expect the remaining 38% to get me another 45 miles.
118 + 45 = 163 miles total range. Range not towing is 300 so the real range dropped by 45% or slightly less than half was lost.

I recommend the not yet available 400 mile range RT1 if you plan to tow something large for a significant distance.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Groover wrote:

62% range reduction sounds like much more than would expect if I were towing the rig with my F150 but as a Tesla owner I expected towing to hit an EV harder than an ICE powered one for several reasons..
Is that what it said? I see this:


"which evidently resulted in a 62% degradation of the battery after just 118 miles of travel."

If 62% got you 118 miles I would expect the remaining 38% to get me another 45 miles.
118 + 45 = 163 miles total range. Range not towing is 300 so the real range dropped by 45% or slightly less than half was lost.

I recommend the not yet available 400 mile range RT1 if you plan to tow something large for a significant distance.


I saw that too but wasn't sure if I was reading that right. That is closer to what our friends see towing a teardrop with their model Y. They lose about 40 to 45 percent of the the cars range. But they definitely are not travelling 73 mph average either though. Mavbe 90 to 95 kilometres an hour. Speeds are slower here.

stsmark

Northern CA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/09/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking the same thing, Time. The wording of the quote is deceptive.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

Moderator

Joined: 03/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/30/21 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

45% drop is on par with the ICE version's I've had, how much I'm are towing, terrain etc.

Aerodynamics as noted, drag from tire type and style, road bed.......

Using one of BenK's comments, re bicycles, a human notice 1-2 ounces of wt removed from a moving part, take 2 lbs from a nonmoving part like the frame to notice. using same ratio, I put 4 new tires on truck, 10-15 lbs heavier than old ones, yes inch in diam more, but lost 3-4 mpg. those 40 lbs of tire add, times 30 equals 1200 lbs of wt added to truck in a non moving fashion. ABout how much mpg I lose with that much wt in the bed.

my non engineering background says things will be similar % loss of range etc, be it an electric rig, gas, diesel, alcohol etc for power use towing or carrying x number of lbs of wt. The real issue, is comparing amp hrs of battery use to kilowatts of energy in fuel or equal comparison.

Marty


92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/30/21 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really good for 73 MPH. I would like to see a range test at 73 MPH to get a baseline.
Head wind? Up hill? My EV will seem to use a bit more going up even 500' in 50 miles... get it all back going back down.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/01/21 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I getting the numbers about right? Comparing ICE that gets 10 MPG while towing, unhook the trailer and mileage jumps to 16.2?

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/01/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Groover wrote:

62% range reduction sounds like much more than would expect if I were towing the rig with my F150 but as a Tesla owner I expected towing to hit an EV harder than an ICE powered one for several reasons..
Is that what it said? I see this:


"which evidently resulted in a 62% degradation of the battery after just 118 miles of travel."

If 62% got you 118 miles I would expect the remaining 38% to get me another 45 miles.
118 + 45 = 163 miles total range. Range not towing is 300 so the real range dropped by 45% or slightly less than half was lost.

I recommend the not yet available 400 mile range RT1 if you plan to tow something large for a significant distance.


I saw that too but wasn't sure if I was reading that right. That is closer to what our friends see towing a teardrop with their model Y. They lose about 40 to 45 percent of the the cars range. But they definitely are not travelling 73 mph average either though. Mavbe 90 to 95 kilometres an hour. Speeds are slower here.


It is confusing but I think that the article referred to two different test reports. One said the the battery used 62% or its charge (battery degredation?) in 118 miles with no other description of the test. The second report tells us that they had a Mustang on a car hauler and pulled it well over 1,000 miles and observed 62% reduction in range.

The article is not well written and having the same percentage referred to in both tests adds to the confusion.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

Moderator

Joined: 03/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/01/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Am I getting the numbers about right? Comparing ICE that gets 10 MPG while towing, unhook the trailer and mileage jumps to 16.2?


That's a plus minus of towing with current V6. And similar to the diesels I've had.

I would not say that increase is absolute, but on par.

Marty

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/01/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better written article by TFL truck

Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/01/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Am I getting the numbers about right? Comparing ICE that gets 10 MPG while towing, unhook the trailer and mileage jumps to 16.2?


That's a plus minus of towing with current V6. And similar to the diesels I've had.

I would not say that increase is absolute, but on par.

Marty


You are not using percentages correctly. If you had towing mileage you would multiply it by .62 to get the decrease in mileage. Or you could take a short cut and multiply it by .38 (1-.62) to get towing mileage. Working the problem backwards starting with towing mileage you would divide towing mileage by .38 to get non-towing. 10mpg divided by .38 is 26.3mpg.

To check it
26.3 X .62 = 16.3mpg reduction
26.3-16.3 = 10mpg

I don't think that you would see that much drop towing that trailer with a gasoline engine.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Rivian towing efficiency
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.