cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Half ton towing

Keeth1123
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at these numbers and forums for towing and it is very annoying. Most of these trailers say micro or light but have 900 to 1,000 lb tongue weights. Basically, you need a 2500 to tow anything but a pop-up camper.
61 REPLIES 61

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Experienced towers know the importance of the cargo capacity, but most "newbies" do not. There is very little education for them.

Unfortunately, most, if not all, YouTube reviewers, let alone the manufacturers, will tout the amazing number of pounds the truck is rated to pull, yet they never mention the cargo capacity which is the most important number since it's so easy to exceed.

I wish all the reviewers would talk about the cargo number during their "reviews".
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
@ Gdetrailer
"Towing ratings now days has very little to do with gear ratios for the most part."

Except that in Timmo!'s example, it is largely gear ratios and engine power that make the tow ratings near the same. It aint the chassis.

With the modern 8/10speed transmissions, gear ratios are far less important unless you are trying to push the upper limits of tow ratings...then it's usually better to jump from 1/2ton to 3/4ton anyway (or alternatively to a more powerful engine option).

In the old days (I think there was mention of a 2005), with a limited number of gears, a truck with a low numerical rear end ratio was more efficient when running empty but as soon as you hooked up a trailer, it often would be forced down a gear even on flat ground and since it was a big jump in gear ratio, it often left the engine RPM racing far higher than ideal. So if you were going to tow a lot of the time, a higher numerical rear end ratio would allow you to hold top gear and keep the RPM more reasonable while towing.

With 8/10 speeds, the change in gear ratio by dropping a gear is much smaller, so the truck can dial in much closer to the ideal RPM/HP range that is ideal for the engine.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Keeth1123 wrote:
Looking at these numbers and forums for towing and it is very annoying. Most of these trailers say micro or light but have 900 to 1,000 lb tongue weights. Basically, you need a 2500 to tow anything but a pop-up camper.

IMO the OP fell victim like many newbs to towing trailers are doing. Their under the impression all 1/2 ton truck are the same when in fact our 1/2 ton trucks have and still have the largest span of different sizes in towing numbers.

The F150 for example with 8200 gvwr on down to 6xxx gvwr but more important rawrs from 3200 lbs up to the HDPP 4800 lbs.
Many bought the wrong F150 platform thinking all F150 were the same ...then upgraded to a 3/4 ton disregarding higher rated F150 that would have done the job in spades.

And lets not forget we still have many GM 1500HD on the road. My retired lady OTR O/O neighbor has one. It has the 8600 gvwr and 6000 rawr 6.0 engine 3.73 gears 4wd she pulls her 24' 10k gvwr enclosed trailer daily in her home/office cleaning business.

And the '00s 1500 Dodge Mega cabs which sit on the 3/4 ton frame with a 8510 gvwr and 6000 rawr E tires.

So yeah... choose the right 1/2 ton truck and like those that did make that good choice have enjoyed the ride.

Choose the wrong 1/2 ton truck with the small gvwr/rawr like many have done and its not gonna' be a good ride.

Look at the trucks gvwr/gawr/tow specs and choose wisely.

Oh yeah ...don't bit into Fords F150 "max tow" package thinking it tows the max....its a good option but doesn't tow the max trailer size as it can be optioned on just about all F150s regardless of gvwr/gawrs.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bguy wrote:
There's nothing like a bigger truck to mask a poor hitch set up.

The only time you will have a "poor hitch setup" with a larger truck is if the manufacturer of the trailer goofed or you goofed and put way to much heavy junk at the back of the trailer.

Most bumper pull trailers will have around 10% hitch weight and often they are heavier than 10%..

What I have noticed is a lot of folks tend to use WD to justify too big of a trailer on a undersized tow vehicle.. Don't you think THAT is a "mistake"?

I do.

It is the reason why I don't bother with 1/2 ton trucks. Sure, I could tow my 26ft 6K lb (7000 lb GVWR)trailer with a 1/2 ton but to do so I will need WD.. I do not need WD for my F250..

Could I tow my 2400 lb (10K GVWR) 18ft flat bed utility trailer with a 1/2 ton? Sure but would require a different WD hitch and setup and I would have to readjust every time I loaded up (run from empty to 8K+ loads all the time).. I do not need WD for my F250.

Why should I go to all that bother, hassle and cost when hopping up to F250 platform get rids of all that WD cost and hassle.

I would not recommend trying either of my trailers on a 1/2 ton platform without WD.. Especially my flatbed trailer, that one when loaded will put a 1/2 ton on to the ground when loaded up to GVWR..

I should have taken some pix a couple of yrs ago when I loaded some nice green Oak rounds that were nearly 4ft across.. A couple of those I had to noodle in half to get my front loader to pick them up.. Frontloader tops out at 980 lbs! Had 10 of those rounds plus tractor.. Would have killed a 1/2ton..

Ahh the freedom just by upsizing my vehicle platform is refreshing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bguy wrote:

Iโ€™d say thereโ€™s nothing like too soft of a suspension to make hitch setup far more important than it needs to be. Which youโ€™re undoubtedly aware of with a coil spring 1/2 ton Dodge.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
In all my travels and discussions with other RVer, very few know or care about the truck ratings. If they like the way the rig handles they keep it, if they do not they buy a bigger truck.

RV dealer said it could tow it, and they're the experts. /sarc

I try not to be weight police, I've towed over weight, but sometimes it's just so far over capacity, it's less than safe. The closer you are to gross, the less fun the drive.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Well 6 pages of statistics and opinions makes for interesting reading.

But I am from the CAT scale school. My 5000 lb. 400 lb. dry weight TT crosses the scales at 6200 to 6400 lbs. and up to 650 lb. on the tongue, when loaded for the road.

I am at or very near the 1411 lb. Max cargo limit on the door sticker of my 2010 F150; by the time I add people, a big dog and stuff I cannot live without in the bed.

After 8 years and 53,000 towing miles From crossing the country three times, through the Rockies and Smokies, desserts, ice storms and high cross winds, our 25 foot Dutchmen has been through a lot.

And yes, towing at, near or above the truck limit does take it's toll on shocks, brakes, suspension, tires, etc. plus seemingly endless tweaking and repairing of the TT.

In all my travels and discussions with other RVer, very few know or care about the truck ratings. If they like the way the rig handles they keep it, if they do not they buy a bigger truck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerem0621 wrote:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's Guys.

Nice plave you've got there!

We haven't camped as much this year as in years past. Between the kids sports and my youngest daughter having some medical issues, we took off from fall camping, which is usually my favorite time of year. We have a Florida trip planned in February though, and hopefully next year we get back to a more normal camping schedule!!!

Merry CHRISTmas to you as well! Safe travels.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

One thing is certain, there are talkers, keyboard warriors, and statisticians and then there are this who go out and DO.

Well said !!!
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to see everyone is doing about the same! These threads are fun but pretty much just fall into a debacle of "no you can't" or "yes you can

One thing is certain, there are talkers, keyboard warriors, and statisticians and then there are this who go out and DO.

Sounds like the old xyz round is superior to the other xyz round. There are those who talk ballistics and those who go out and put meat on the table in the field.

TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I am not a weight nut. Last week I towed about 5000lb trailer with my F-150 and it towed better than anything I have towed in years. Real eye opener as I have always said "you never have to much truck".

I have been accused of being a member of the weight police. I do believe in the math when figuring out what can be safely towed. Kinda dumb not to.
Just because I got away with doing a boatload of stupid stuff doesnโ€™t mean I should keep doing it.
Anyhow, in all our travels, I havenโ€™t seen a destroyed half ton or a demolished trailer. I know it happens, but I have seen bunches of wrecked semis.
Go figure.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I am not a weight nut. Last week I towed about 5000lb trailer with my F-150 and it towed better than anything I have towed in years. Real eye opener as I have always said "you never have to much truck".

When I was about to buy my new TT and truck, I did the math and calculated I was comfortable towing up to a 6,000# GVWR trailer with an F-150 that is properly optioned to maximize the payload rating. (My payload rating is 1,895#.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I like it when people ask about towing with my f150 at the campground. Sometimes it goes long enough that I mention the HDPP and they look at me like I have 2 heads. They have no idea what it is or that itโ€™s available. Iโ€™m sure some of them walk away thinking Iโ€™m making it up.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel