Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Half ton towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Half ton towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keeth1123 wrote:

My door says 1565 max cargo

2 adults and a 1k tongue weight and your done.

Looking at flagstaff micro 25fkbs. Acccordijg to every forum on the net, the listed weights are way off. So when you add hundreds of pounds to get the teal weight it’s always over or at best exactly at it.

My wifes 1500 chevy has a 1640 lb payload sticker. The sticker isn't used for any legal issues with dot or civil lawsuit issues.
I keep axle scale tickets in all my trucks. That way I know approx weight the truck can safely carry.
Her 1500 crew cab 4wd short bed has a 4000 rawr with a 2320 lb rear axle weight. Leaves the truck with a 1680 lb payload on the rear axle as its carrying all the trailers hitch weight and part of in the cab weight.
I use the truck pulling a 10k car hauler with 7640 lb blue tractor (9200-9400 lbs on the trailers axles and 1040 lbs on the trucks rear axle. The WD hitch brings the truck front axle load back to its 3120 lb nominal weight.
The 355 hp/383 torque 5.3 6 speed tranny has plenty of power pulling this size trailer.

I also use my 2500 Dodge/Cummins pulling the same trailer out on longer trips to a job site. This trucks rear axle has a 6000 rawr and weighs 2840 lbs empty....makes for around 3200 lbs for a payload. This year model truck like all older trucks has no payload sticker to confuse new folks to the towing world. I have 3 flatbed GN and bumper pull trailers. These type trailers can be loaded to stay at or under any trucks rawr numbers.
A rv trailers hitch weight is fixed so get your trucks front and rear separate axle weights and plan from there.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Timmo!

Far away from this WOKE website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

GDE,

Thanks for the mini sermon on cargo weight...unfortunately the discussion here is all about 1/2 tons towing capacity (or lack thereof).

OP's post
Keeth1123 wrote:

Looking at these numbers and forums for towing and it is very annoying. Most of these trailers say micro or light but have 900 to 1,000 lb tongue weights. Basically, you need a 2500 to tow anything but a pop-up camper.

My information (although dated to 2005), is from personal experiences and of course from Ford's published info, available here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/a........owing-guides/Ford_Linc_05RVTTowGuide.pdf

Ahhhh, Timmo….I would t expect you to make the direct connection between cargo cap and towing. Especially base on your last misguided post.

Only a fool would argue that cargo cap has nothing to do with towing cap, but as I have demonstrated, engine size and gear ratios can help separate the men from the boys (F250 vs F150). As I originally stated, comparing my F150 with a F250--both with the same engine and gear ratios--the F250 has a 1000 lb greater cargo cap, but the F150 has a greater towing capacity...9300 vs 9200 lbs (period).

And take special note of the gear ratio data with 5.4L engine...the F150, no real diff between 3.73 and 4.10, but for the F250 there is a 2000 lb increase in both cargo cap AND towing cap. Same engine but different gear ratio....hmmm.

From pages 16 & 17 of the 2005 document I linked earlier.

[image]
[image]

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been towing my 5800, dry weight, trailer for 5 years with a Suburban (7200 rated). Never worried about the details.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a 7200 lb 31' TT with a 2010 F150 Screw, 5.4 3.73 and 1857 CCC for 2.5 years. Never had a serious sway issue and I tow in the PNW and down into CA. I used a 4pt Equalizer WDH at 1st but hated the mess and noise. TT did have a tendency to wander a bit when passing semi's so I found a used Hensley arrow. Towing was as good as it gets with the HA.
Ended up trading up to a Ram 2500 CTD for several reasons. One was that the F150 with a RAWR of 4050 was at 4000 on scales. I had a canopy on it and the bed was loaded to the gills with gear. Also the 6sp trans was pure garbage. No way to lock out 6th or 5th so it hunted all day long. Plus the 5.4 towing 7200 lbs up in the mtns was a big dog especially at 4,000' EL and higher.

To bring all this forward to today if I had an F150 with the 3.5 Eco with Max Tow (Not the HDPP) I would have no issues looking at a TT in the 7000-7500 lb loaded to camp range. I would by a Pro Pride and get on with it. Much less than paying the $$$$ for a 3/4 ton along with the extra $$$ for gas as a DD. The Max Tow package gives you the 36 gal gas tank which would be perfect.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@Timmo, maybe good time to stop proving your theories with mfg data unless you understand it. There's NO 2000lb payload increase on a F250 due to lower gears. Here's where reading comprehension and understanding vehicle classifications comes in. That chart is for 250/350 srw trucks and the 2000lbs more is a F350 vs a F250.
How do I know? Because neither Ford, nor any other mfg ever put out a "3/4 ton" model with greater than 10klb gvw, until just a couple years ago.
Fun fact, they only did that to appease the folks who don't understand the difference (or lack thereof in this case) between DOT class 2 and class 3 vehicles. In reality, the mfgs, in appeasing the weekend warrior weight cops, screwed up the system for anyone who operates commercially and uses 3/4 tons to stay under DOT driver and vehicle requirements that start with class 3 trucks...unless those commercial operators specifically get a, now, "downgraded" 3/4 ton that is <10klb gvwr.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother wrote:

I have been towing my 5800, dry weight, trailer for 5 years with a Suburban (7200 rated). Never worried about the details.

Nor is it a cause for concern, as you're aware. Many of the "details" either don't matter, real world, or are incorrectly interpreted (as evidenced in this thread).

Now, for those uninformed or without practical experience, knowledge and good judgement to rely on, the OEM's "limits" are the OEM's best attempt at a conservative, works for most all scenarios, while limiting corporate risk to the greatest extent, benchmark that anyone can use without question.

Nothing wrong with folks making conservative decisions. Also nothing wrong with folks making educated decisions, as much as some may argue otherwise.

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Fun fact, they only did that to appease the folks who don't understand the difference (or lack thereof in this case) between DOT class 2 and class 3 vehicles. In reality, the mfgs, in appeasing the weekend warrior weight cops, screwed up the system for anyone who operates commercially and uses 3/4 tons to stay under DOT driver and vehicle requirements that start with class 3 trucks...unless those commercial operators specifically get a, now, "downgraded" 3/4 ton that is <10klb gvwr.

Thank you. Exactly. The same truck in Canada is topped at 4500k, or 9920 lbs. for similar reasons.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/21 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote from Gdetrailer - "I would love to see anyone show a sticker from their "1/2 ton" with a available cargo that meets or exceeds 3,800 lbs..

Oh, by the way, the newer F250s if you chose a XL standard cab 4x2 gas with short bed can easily have cargo ratings of 4K.." END QUOTE

My 2019 F150 set up to tow, 3.5 eco boost, max tow package, you name it, and it only has a payload of 1526#

My son in law just got his 2022 F250 with 6.7.. It has the Max tow package on there as well that boosts the GCVWR to 30,000#. BUT the payload is only 2796# on the sticker...

So, I agree, there is NO 1/2 ton towable with that type of payload..

* This post was edited 12/02/21 05:42pm by ford truck guy *

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

… I would love to see anyone show a sticker from their "1/2 ton" with a available cargo that meets or exceeds 3,800 lbs….
I think you went way off in left field somewhere. The OP doesn’t need anywhere near 3800 lbs of payload to tow the 7800 lbs GVWR trailer he is contemplating. There are plenty of 1/2 tons that will work just fine.

01tundra

Middle, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/21 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Average TW for Flagstaff Micro Lights is 670 lbs per their brochure weights. For most 1/2 tons thats a good starting point. Most 1/2 ton receivers can handle north of 1,000 lbs.
Average brochure UVW is 5438 lbs.
Again perfect start for 1/2 ton buyers.

The dry tongue weight on our Mini Lite 2109S (the lightest model available) was advertised as 412 lbs.

Lightly loaded ours scales at 660 lbs, that's with lithium batteries mounted in the rear of the trailer, water tanks empty and the front storage area practically empty.

Mini/Micro Lites are very tongue heavy, most of the 25XX series have a loaded tongue weight over 1,000 lbs.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Half ton towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.