cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble finding alcohol free RV antifreeze this season?

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is everybody having trouble finding alcohol free RV antifreeze this season?

Walmart has always had it in past seasons. This year, three different brands, but all alcohol based.

Checked on line, Home Depot had it at a store 15 miles away (plus at other stores even further). Drive all the way there, but they can't find it. Now when I check again on line, they have zeroed out all inventory within 100 miles of my zip code.

Drive to the local hardware chain (since they don't do on line inventory) and they have several brands as well, but all alcohol based.

Try Autozone, same thing. Two different brands, but all alcohol based.

Is everybody having this problem?
37 REPLIES 37

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I had my last Mobile Suites in single digits in SD for three days. The plastic manifold did crack but the Pex lines were just fine.

Point is blowing the lines with a bit of residue left wonโ€™t hurt a darn thing.

Only issue I have using air is the rusty water ,and what have you that can accumulate in a compressor tank, unless it's filtered . I see some nasty stuff coming out of a compressor tank when drained off , certainly wouldn't want that **** in my water lines .

Blow out the tank first if concerned. I think you just want to say something different just for kicks.

I donโ€™t blow the lines ,,antifreeze is good enough for me . Just pointing out what comes thru those air hoses , if I did use air , yes Iโ€™d most certainly drain the tank , and clear the hose.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I had my last Mobile Suites in single digits in SD for three days. The plastic manifold did crack but the Pex lines were just fine.

Point is blowing the lines with a bit of residue left wonโ€™t hurt a darn thing.

Only issue I have using air is the rusty water ,and what have you that can accumulate in a compressor tank, unless it's filtered . I see some nasty stuff coming out of a compressor tank when drained off , certainly wouldn't want that **** in my water lines .

Blow out the tank first if concerned. I think you just want to say something different just for kicks.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 trailer gets the pink stuff (either variety) through all the lines and drains every winter. My black and gray still don't leak.

I always keep a couple gallons on hand so I don't have to worry if it's in stock when I need it. Never understood why so many others (that winterize) don't do that.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
TechWriter wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
I just looked up the chemical compatability of Propylene glycol and rubber, it is listed as satasfactory. I have no issues using it im units, and neither do thougsands of rv dealers and service departments, its actualy recomended in my owners manual.

Chances are that those rubber seals are actually made of Santoprene. Alcohol has little effect on it.

no its pure rubber that the compatability chart is for, and you have to remember Propylene glycol is a modified alcohol so the properties arn't the same as ethanol alcohol which everyone seems to use when looking up compataibilities. now if the seals are made out of somthing different then thats even better. like I said my camper has had rv antifreeze in it every year since 1991 and seals are all still good.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

blt2ski
AF at least locally in puget sound has been a PITA this fall. There was a 14-21 day stretch from late October to mid November where I work was out of AF, now there is plenty!
seems to be par for the course for many supplies this year! Cant get AGM batteries from our supplier at the moment either. Hopefully in the next week or two they will get some to us via local distributor. Been going on for 12 months or so due to lack of peeps in factory due to covid rules.
We had up thru about two weeks ago, only 100 55 gal drums for one of our customers that usually buy 150-200 drums per season.......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I do the basically same thing. I drain, flush with antifreeze, and then blow the antifreeze out with air. I've been doing this for over 10 years on this Travel Trailer with no problems.

Yep. If the last thing in the lines was antifreeze, it doesn't matter if there is an elbow that is a low spot, the antifreeze will not hurt it.

-30f is too cold to hope that the water left behind by only using air didn't end up in a low elbow. There might be no water left behind, but for what it costs and the time it takes to use the pink stuff compared to replacing broken plumbing it is very well worth using it.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Now that I went down a rabbit whole, back to the original post.

I have also had problems finding the non alcohol pink stuff. But since I drain my water, flush with pink, then drain that, I am not very worried about it. It just gets too cold here to trust only air. With draining the lines after the pink flush I have no problems with flushing in the spring, since there was almost no antifreeze left in the lines. The feel good thing I get from it is if there was an elbow that was a low point I don't have to worry about it cracking at -30 f.

I do the basically same thing. I drain, flush with antifreeze, and then blow the antifreeze out with air. I've been doing this for over 10 years on this Travel Trailer with no problems.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
I just looked up the chemical compatability of Propylene glycol and rubber, it is listed as satasfactory. I have no issues using it im units, and neither do thougsands of rv dealers and service departments, its actualy recomended in my owners manual.

Chances are that those rubber seals are actually made of Santoprene. Alcohol has little effect on it.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Air is free beside the electricity to run my air compressor. Buy "ONE" gallon for the "P" traps. I never have or will put that stuff in my lines.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got all I needed for $2.50/gallon. Bout same price as usual.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tractor Supply here in Columbia, SC has it for $3.99 a gallon. Don't know if it is alcohol free or not.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I use whatever is on sale or easily available. This year (Covid) has made a big difference here. Only place I found , within reasonable distance was $10 a gallon. Only used a quarter of jug, rest was blown out with air. Prices on almost everything are up. Windshield washer fluid for the car is over $5 a gallon jug.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.