Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trouble finding alcohol free RV antifreeze this season?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble finding alcohol free RV antifreeze this season?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I never checked to see which I get, they have all worked like they should so I don't really care. Been doing it for 10 years with no issues, so it all seems to work okay.

X2 been doing this for over 30 years.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

What is your objection to alcohol based other than alcohol in a non pressurized system can evaporate and leave you unprotected (Takes time however)

There are the often quoted comments that alcohol based antifreeze with damage rubber seals. True or not? Who really knows. Maybe just more urban legend like the comments about alcohol based antifreeze being flammable.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Menards has both kinds, always have in the 20+ years I've been buying pink stuff. They always promote and display the alcohol based stuff at end of the isles...but the more expensive non-alcohol pink stuff is deeper in the store.

If you have a menards, look there. Plus, they almost always do an 11 percent off.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StarkNaked wrote:

The alcohol-based stuff has two things I would like to avoid. First is it is flammable. Second is that alcohol is harder on rubber seals (like in the dump valves).

And for others that have asked, I'm talking about winterizing the fresh water system.

And thanks for the West Marine suggestion. I have a couple boat places I can try.

While I, personally, disagree with both of those assertions, I respect your right to believe them. Do a search for antifreeze with propylene glycol. (Personally, now I have an air compressor and just blow out the lines. However, I used the pink stuff for 10 years without problems, and without checking which kind I bought.)

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

StarkNaked

West Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For all the comments about alcohol-based antifreezes not being flammable, please explain why every single one of them has a flammable warning on the label? I'm not the one that wrote the label's warnings, so don't flame me! (See what I did there!)

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the evaporated fumes are more flammable than the liquid.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I just went and checked the alcohol-containing RV anti-freeze I have, and nowhere does have a "Flammable" on the label, and it does contain a certain percentage of ethyl alcohol. However it does say in small letters near the ingredients that it is "Combustible", which I think is considerably different from "Flammable".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mleekamp wrote:

Menards has both kinds, always have in the 20+ years I've been buying pink stuff. They always promote and display the alcohol based stuff at end of the isles...but the more expensive non-alcohol pink stuff is deeper in the store.

If you have a menards, look there. Plus, they almost always do an 11 percent off.
While I do occasionally buy from Menards, I usually avoid it. Their prices are almost always higher than Lowe's or Home Depot.

And I actually used the 11% rebate a few times in the past, at least until they quit rebating with money, and now only rebate with a "gift card" that can only be used at...you guessed it: Menards. Such a deal.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three words
Inflammable
Flamabble
Combustable

The first is very easy to ignite (Gasoline Propane vapor)
Color code for storage is RED
The next can be set aflame but not as easily. Color code used to be Green but I heard they changed it to something else (Yellow I think But I don't use it so...) Diesel fuel.

The third (Think wood) is harder still to burn but can burn,

NOTE: many products are mislabeled to the point where I looked up the definitions before posting this ... I know Gasoline is more dangerous than Diesel in terms of ignition and diesel more than wood (less it is soaked with something higher up the flammability chart) But It's been a long time since I paid attention to the definitions of the words.
Or rather it was a long time till I started this post [emoticon]

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

StarkNaked

West Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, I just went and checked the alcohol-containing RV anti-freeze I have, and nowhere does have a "Flammable" on the label, and it does contain a certain percentage of ethyl alcohol. However it does say in small letters near the ingredients that it is "Combustible", which I think is considerably different from "Flammable".

The only difference between "Combustible" & "Flammable" is the flash point.

I also checked a couple of MSDS sheets for the two types of RV antifreeze. Both with the same freeze point rating.
Flash point for ethanol antifreeze - 110F.
Flash point for Propylene Glycol antifreeze - 228F.

FLAMMABLE VS. COMBUSTIBLE LIQUIDS
NFPA splits flammable liquids into two types: flammable and combustible.

Whereas OSHA only has one type: flammable liquids.

Either way, these are liquids that can burn, or rather, the vapor they give off can burn.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StarkNaked wrote:

The only difference between "Combustible" & "Flammable" is the flash point.

That is actually a big difference. I hauled hazmat for 17 years, mainly gas and diesel, with a bunch of propane and some natural gasoline thrown in.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble finding alcohol free RV antifreeze this season?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.