cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small dryer in Minnie Winnie 25b basement.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
The basement in our 25b has two heavy duty plastic storage areas. It never occurred to me that these might have a weight limit. There is no mention of this in the manual. I had been thinking about adding a washer and dryer for a longer trip we are planning. Mostly because I have a small dryer. It fit in the plastic tub part of the basement. It’s not very heavy and I loaded it in there by myself. But someone on FB mentioned that it could fall through the bottom. $&!?
It’s seems a long shot like those who drive with their propane off with an abundance of caution. I’m looking for space for a small washer as well. This is not something I really need. Most of the campgrounds we stay at have laundry facilities. But although I tell myself this it appears it’s something I want as I can’t stop shopping and comparing features and measurements and reviews.

I think this is just dandy. Does anyone else think it may crack or break the plastic bin? It’s in very securely and mounted on 2x4’s to make it tall enough.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
19 REPLIES 19

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Yes for our older rv I considered a rear rack setup. I’m surprised there is so much pushback in a way as I read about those with an outside refrigerator or freezer installed. Seems like operationally they would be more vulnerable than a dryer. If the dryer breaks I’ll just discard it as I bought it several years ago from a Craigslist ad. I guess the basement storage tubs are limited by their installation. When I get back to the rv I’ll check out the screws if they are exposed. I don’t think they are. I’ll see if a brace underneath is feasible. That’s a good idea. Lots of RV’s have washers and dryers. I’m trying for the leisure side effects of carrying my own.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would be easier to lather up and jump in the lake with your dirty clothes on, then bask in the sun. :B

At the end of the day , you will probably end up breaking the dryer from miles of repeatedly bouncing and shaking it inside an rv storage compartment tub . Don’t be surprised ‘if it no work’ when you go to dry.

When you mentioned using plywood to line the tub to distribute the dryers weight .
The tub is still only being held in place using small screws and maybe caulk on a narrow lip screwed into soft pine wood . That ‘s the ‘weak link ‘ .
I would use steel supports under the tub . Two straps welded/bolted to the frame.
I would go beyond a stated weight rating of a plastic tub.

Have you considered using a rear hitch rack with a locked secure box ? Some racks are rated at 500# using a 2x2 hitch.
I would run an outlet to the rack so i could plug in the dryer while traveling. You could call it ‘Dry n Drive’ .

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Oh it’s a good discussion. Enjoy it or would not post! Ha ha. I’m taking concerns seriously though. It makes sense to be concerned about water use etc. but thanks for the plea to be nice here. I wasn’t offended and hope to not offend but it’s good to be mindful. Thanks.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Wow, cmon guys…. @clutchdust, the OP asked an honest well thought out question and is obviously trying to make sure it’s a safe arrangement. And you’re trying to complain about where he is or isn’t going to dump his hypothetical wash water?
Maybe spend your efforts on understanding your audience and not inadvertently insulting their intelligence.

Assume much? Complain? Asking a question chief. I never thought his intelligence needed to be insulted, you did.
You have anger issues.

You never fail to add your two cents where it may not be appropriate. Ill post what I care to post, non of your business. and it's Klutchdust.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
No ha ha. It would go in the sewer same as any other gray water. I’m buying a barker to accommodate the extra water. I’m not a Gray water dumper. Can’t own an rv and be much of an environmentalist but I follow rules. I’m pretty set on carrying the dryer at least. This is a portable dryer set up to vent above it into a lint sock. The bay would be opened when in use. I found yet another rotocast rule of thumb that said 15 lbs per square foot weight capacity. The dryer footprint is 16” x 24”. The bin is 38 x 22. That is almost 6 sq ft. So at 15 lbs per square ft it’s capacity is about 87 lbs. distributed weight. If I use plywood to help distribute the weight then this dryer is not overweight for the bin. Of course I have to consider the rig and axle weights. And eliminate bounce if possible. I’ll use a tiny washer. I’m thinking I’ll keep it under the dinette and roll it to the sink to use it. Have not decided on this yet. Big enough to wash an outfit or two, sheets and towels. I know I’m kind of crazy about this but I’m kind of set on the idea. We will see if I break something. Yikes.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wow, cmon guys…. @clutchdust, the OP asked an honest well thought out question and is obviously trying to make sure it’s a safe arrangement. And you’re trying to complain about where he is or isn’t going to dump his hypothetical wash water?
Maybe spend your efforts on understanding your audience and not inadvertently insulting their intelligence.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
EMD360 wrote:
So far I’ve seen several “ratings” including rotocast manufacturers who rate every bin at 250 lbs capacity. No info in Winnebago documents. Seems the total weight including cargo carry and axle weight are all they publish. I be already gotten good advice here so not too worried about Buster and Festus. 🙂

The advice that said don't do it, I agree. Start saving your quarters. What wasn't mentioned is the venting of the dryer, the warm/hot air with moisture and lint in it, then the washing machine water will be going into the parks sewer system correct? Or do you plan on dumping the water to the ground in a camping area that offers dry camping only. Asking for a friend.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
So far I’ve seen several “ratings” including rotocast manufacturers who rate every bin at 250 lbs capacity. No info in Winnebago documents. Seems the total weight including cargo carry and axle weight are all they publish. I be already gotten good advice here so not too worried about Buster and Festus. 🙂

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't get yourself into trouble by not getting the information that accurately describes what that storage area can actually hold.
When someone says I want to...i need to...Will this work ...and they are asking a group of well intentioned but unfamiliar folks and you end up with something like the photo. below

The towed vehicle had no base plate, Buster said "don't need one" The angle? Festus said "can't see it from my house" How fast can i go? louie said "fast as you want, makes no difference" Lol. 😉

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I’m thinking it would be easy to put plywood in the bottom. But I also see rv owners talk about running a dorm fridge or cube freezer in the storage area and they weigh about the same but also get loaded with food and drinks etc. It seems this empty dryer would be just as safe.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the storage was in bigger rigs so I’m guessing those were closer to 200. Some were in less well built versions where the normal loads of equipment were showing bowing in the plastic. I’m guessing that 50 lbs is high for those. I didn’t see anything Minnie Winnie specific.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would have a brace welded in place. I'd line the bottom with 5/8" plywood.

What is there is unsafe.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which molded tub does google say you have ?
The 50# or 200# tub ?
Seems to be quite a spread for the basically same type of molded tub thats installed in the same manner.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate