Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Small dryer in Minnie Winnie 25b basement.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Small dryer in Minnie Winnie 25b basement.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The basement in our 25b has two heavy duty plastic storage areas. It never occurred to me that these might have a weight limit. There is no mention of this in the manual. I had been thinking about adding a washer and dryer for a longer trip we are planning. Mostly because I have a small dryer. It fit in the plastic tub part of the basement. It’s not very heavy and I loaded it in there by myself. But someone on FB mentioned that it could fall through the bottom. $&!?
It’s seems a long shot like those who drive with their propane off with an abundance of caution. I’m looking for space for a small washer as well. This is not something I really need. Most of the campgrounds we stay at have laundry facilities. But although I tell myself this it appears it’s something I want as I can’t stop shopping and comparing features and measurements and reviews.
[image]
I think this is just dandy. Does anyone else think it may crack or break the plastic bin? It’s in very securely and mounted on 2x4’s to make it tall enough.

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's located at the most vertical movement of the RV which adds more stress than dead weight and may exceed the mfg expectations. Can you add steel support underneath for support?

The space usage can carry a lot of clothes. For years we used laundry mats, rarely in CGs. Check that they are clean, fire up 5 washers, then dryers, fold and out the door.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I think its a very unsafe idea.
If its a plastic lip that's screwed in place then I would not load too much weight in it. The E450 tends to pound over bumps and could cause cracks.
I installed a plywood sheet over my bin, acting like a lid, to hold heavier items, but you'll lose height.

While my unit is a Forest River , my dealer advised me to be careful loading up my storage bins because they can and have cracked at the lip where they mount. I do not have any kind of straps to support my bins, its just the lip with screws.

An unsecured load could and has been a legal issue in some states when the load ends up falling onto the highway at speed. This is something to be very careful with because one case I was reading about turned out to be criminal as well as civil because a fatality was involved to someone in a following vehicle.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point - I never want to be explaining what I was doing that's illegal in the judges state...

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those bins are plastic and not very sturdy or attached very well.

You may want to reinforce the bottom of them the way member BruceMc did in This Post

Good luck in your mod on this.Sounds like it may work if done properly.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With this advice I googled weight limits for storage areas. It appears the rotomolded bins are rated between 50 and 200 lbs. of course the weight bouncing in the can increase the force. I also read some ideas for reinforcing the bins. First to check for the number of screws etc. also if the bin flexes. I have been inside the bins several times with my whole weight and have never felt them flex. There is no sagging under the stopped weight of the dryer. These small dryers weigh about 40 lbs. I’m guessing that’s what this one is because it was not very heavy getting it into the compartment. I think the 2x4’s help distribute the weight and the top of the vent touches the roof of the area so it’s not going to bounce. I might add a plastic bin to hold it steady too and take a drive to test it. I certainly won’t put a washer in the same compartment. Im thinking of putting the washer at the foot of the bed or under the dinette. I would get a small one that is about 16” square and 20” high.
I know I can spend a few hours at a laundromat. But I can also spend time in my RV in comfort. Doing just a little wash every other day. I am adding a barker so I can use extra water and just pull it to the dump.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duplicate

* This post was edited 12/05/21 08:20am by EMD360 *

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/21 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which molded tub does google say you have ?
The 50# or 200# tub ?
Seems to be quite a spread for the basically same type of molded tub thats installed in the same manner.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have a brace welded in place. I'd line the bottom with 5/8" plywood.

What is there is unsafe.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/21 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the storage was in bigger rigs so I’m guessing those were closer to 200. Some were in less well built versions where the normal loads of equipment were showing bowing in the plastic. I’m guessing that 50 lbs is high for those. I didn’t see anything Minnie Winnie specific.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Small dryer in Minnie Winnie 25b basement.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.