cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fantastic Fan

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to add a Fantastic fan to my 2014 Freelander 29QB. Anyone know if any of the existing vents are pre-wired?
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner
16 REPLIES 16

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
A reversible RV ceiling vent fan has a little known use that can be outstanding: When traveling on dusty roads or even for traveling in any situation, if needed run the air conditioner or heater on the recirculate air setting, close up every window, and close up every ceiling vent except one with a reversible fan in it. Set this fan to the "blow in" mode, and set it on the slowest or next to the slowest speed setting. The fan then "tries" to bring air into the motorhome but "can't" because everything is closed up. What is then happening is this fan is establishing and maintaining a slight air pressure inside the motorhome.

This slight air pressure keeps all dust out of the interior that otherwise might seep in through small cracks, window seals, door seals, etc.. We do this a lot to help keep the interior of the RV cleaner when traveling - especially in dirty air or when on dusty roads.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
My rain sensor fan worked fine for 3 years then decided to become independent.
Maybe possessed is s better term :E :B

Some people say there is a small push button type switch on some models that can malfunction and has to be kept clean using a contact electrical spray.
Maybe its something that actually needs to be replaced every few years.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I did the rain sensor one too. Itโ€™s a bit loud. I have not experienced it closing without rain but we live in a dry climate. The remote has to be in direct site and we keep the bathroom door closed. But itโ€™s not as loud as the existing fan and of course the wires were right there. I found out some fans are sandwich style and clamp to the roof and some get screwed to the roof top and only trim is installed inside. The original was a sandwich and the replacement screwed to the roof. Not a big deal just a surprise.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobsYourUncle wrote:
My Fantastic Fan has a MaxxAir cover on it! :B:B

Mine Too !! easy cleaning of the fan and cover with the pin/hinge mounting.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

My Fantastic Fan has a MaxxAir cover on it! :B:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
The MaxxAir fans are also worth considering - Very quiet on the 3 lowest speeds, and draw just a small fraction of an amp of battery current.

Personally, I would not own an RV that wasn't equipped with at least one of either brand - They are SUPERB.

Looks like Maxxair is the ticket if only based on their efficiency. Thinking of going that route in a month or two.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is in the bathroom, and when I sit there with the door closed and the fan on, I can feel a breeze blowing in under the door.

I noticed that too . If the fan is on โ€˜highโ€™ it might be more difficult to open the door :B
Look how much dust gets trapped on the FF screen. Its a strong attic fan.

My previous Lance was sealed so tight , with all the windows, vents and door closed , i could here the pitch difference in the FF motor as I opened the door. I could here the rise in rpmโ€™s of the fan. Try it, see how well sealed your rv is. The class C i have now is not as tight as my previous TC.

The fan works well exhausting cooking odors too.

Yes! They seriously do move a lot of air. I very seldom ever need to use mine above the lowest setting. Mine is in the bathroom, and when I sit there with the door closed and the fan on, I can feel a breeze blowing in under the door.

They are reversible too. You can open a window at the far end and bring in air from outside and blow it out the window. Or leave it on exhaust and have it draw air from the open window, creating a nice cross breeze.

Good for cooking odors too. Have it blow in, leave the windows closed and have it blow out the stove hood without turning the confounded noisemaker hood fan on.

I would never be without an FF in any RV.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seriously, do these fans really increase the airflow throughout the RV? I have two wall fans that face the sofa and one facing the bedroom in the rear to help on non-windy days on the beach. Iโ€™d consider installing them if they really move the air throughout the space.

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnie had one on the cab overhead, I swapped it out for one with a thermocoupling and replaced the bathroom one room, with the front one
Winnebago Access 24V

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Can't tell you if yours is pre-wired or not, but if not you could do what I did once to get power there.

I put a FF in where no power was present, but there was a light nearby. I took the old vent out, and took the light out. I drilled a hole through the side of the roof framing, inserted a piece of electricians fish tape through to the light, then spliced in power and ground wires to the light wiring and pulled it over to the vent opening.

It was very easy to do.

Ditto.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
The MaxxAir fans are also worth considering - Very quiet on the 3 lowest speeds, and draw just a small fraction of an amp of battery current.

Personally, I would not own an RV that wasn't equipped with at least one of either brand - They are SUPERB.

Plturne
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m installing one soon. This write up looks good. There are others.

https://www.loveyourrv.com/installing-fantastic-vent-fan-rv/