Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Not solar again ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Not solar again ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 02:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you mount the controller with the truck, then the truck is just a "solar suitcase' basically. My solar suitcase with controller connects to my batteries when I want it, and when I disconnect no harm comes to the controller. If you are going to be switching between 3 different trailers then using your truck like a solar suitcase would make more sense to me. Some solar suitcases are using 20' of cable from controller to batteries.

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/21 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put a disconnect between the panels and controller but keep it with the truck. That way you can connect up to any battery bank you care to.

May not be quick but you could even charge the truck starting battery in a pinch.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply's ,

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Actually, the panels when not connected to anything WILL "produce" a VOLTAGE at the panel terminals when sun is shining on them.

But when no LOAD is connected (battery, controller or light bulb) there just will not be any CURRENT flowing.

This can be easily proved by connecting a volt meter to any solar panel with sunlight on it and nothing else connected..
Practically I agree, but this isn't proof. As soon as you connect a voltmeter there is a load and hence amps flowing even if it's extremely small.

Not sure how to "prove" it, any ideas?

Gdetrailer wrote:

This can be easily proved by connecting a volt meter to any solar panel with sunlight on it and nothing else connected.. If panel is good, you should see a voltage reading up to the rated voltage listed on the panel.
Actually 2 checks are commonly used in full (or close) sun: Voltmeter and compare to Voc (open circuit) spec and ammeter and compare to Isc (short circuit) spec.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z-Peller wrote:

If you mount the controller with the truck, then the truck is just a "solar suitcase' basically. My solar suitcase with controller connects to my batteries when I want it, and when I disconnect no harm comes to the controller. If you are going to be switching between 3 different trailers then using your truck like a solar suitcase would make more sense to me. Some solar suitcases are using 20' of cable from controller to batteries.

Never said it "would harm" anything if connections are made in different order.

However, some controllers are designed to detect if battery voltage is present before it will pass the solar panel voltage to the battery terminals of the controller.

In those cases, no battery voltage detected=no solar panel voltage passed to the controller terminals..

Real cheap controllers without adjustable parameters or without wide panel and battery voltage most likely won't care, more expensive controllers with adjustable parameters and wide panel and battery voltages may care.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suitcase solar is generally small, etc. The OP suggested 300-400W which could warranty more efficient wiring etc. for other users. But the OP is not going to do this and sometimes his truck is not near the trailer.

400W of solar suggests 30A. Parallel 12V panels would require large wire to the controller vs serial panels at about 8A. For the OPs application 10 ga wire at 8A would be ideal, maybe even 12 ga. There are tradeoff factors for any installation.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Practically I agree, but this isn't proof. As soon as you connect a voltmeter there is a load and hence amps flowing even if it's extremely small.

Not sure how to "prove" it, any ideas?

Actually 2 checks are commonly used in full (or close) sun: Voltmeter and compare to Voc (open circuit) spec and ammeter and compare to Isc (short circuit) spec.

Typical DVMs will have input impedance of 1-10 megohm if not much greater, comparable to the olden days of VTVM (vacuum Tube volt meters) then the FTVM (FET transistor voltmeter) that replaced the VTVMs.

DVM will present a nearly immeasurable load than the lower impedance of the solar panels unless you have some access to laboratory quality picoamp meters.

Lets just say that the average cheap DVM isn't going to drop the open circuit voltage enough to be measured by even the best Fluke meter..

I mean if you really wish to get crazy you can buy lab quality meters which have GigaOhm impedances.. Like THIS which is rated 70 GigaOhm input impedance..

But reality is a DVM does not present enough "load" to alter your reading of a 18V panel so why make such a fuss?

A DVM simply PROVES that the panel is generating a output voltage (panel has no internal circuit damage).

And as you mentioned, the OTHER test is to use a short circuit test which is done by placing a ammeter across the terminals (standard ammeter looks like a short but also has a resistance). So one would have to use a very large ga wire to create the short then read with an indirect ammeter if you wanted to nitpick things this far.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

400W of solar suggests 30A. Parallel 12V panels would require large wire to the controller

Agreed - Attempting to run 12-16 volts at 30 amps for any significant distance is going to require thick, expensive wire.

Connecting all 4 panels in series would give you 48-64 volts at only 6-8 amps - which could be done with much thinner, cheaper wire.

Naturally, you'll end up spending some of that wire savings on a more expensive charge controller that can charge your 12 volt batteries from 48-64 volt power.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar on the truck and move some of the batteries from whichever trailer is in use to the truck during the day to get recharged somewhat. Put the batts back in the evening. Move the other batts to the truck next day for their turn at some solar.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/21 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Solar on the truck and move some of the batteries from whichever trailer is in use to the truck during the day to get recharged somewhat. Put the batts back in the evening. Move the other batts to the truck next day for their turn at some solar.
Sounds like fun - [emoticon]

I'd opt for a very small gen. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Not solar again ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.