Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do's and don'ts of towing a loaded 12" tandem behind 5vr??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Do's and don'ts of towing a loaded 12" tandem behind 5vr??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
WE-C-USA

NW Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/21 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back to the OP's post. A 12 foot trailer, loaded property, will do great behind a 5th wheel trailer. Been there and done that for almost 20 years. You will learn the do's & don'ts along the way.

Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/21 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

The quickest and easiest setup for a small trailer like that would be to install a Surge Brake setup.

In my experience, once Surge Brakes are mounted, bled, and maintained, it would be easy to hook up and go. But if fitting brakes to a trailer that is not equipped? Run wires, not tubes.
If the trailer has brakes, they have to work to be legal. Do you need them? What is the GVWR of the 5th wheel? What is the weight of the 2 trailers, loaded and going down the road? Bet the other brakes will be overloaded if you don't have brakes on the last trailer.
If it was me, I would run a wire on TV so the AUX pin on the plug got same signal as the brake controller does. I would mount a 2nd controller near back, inside of 5th wheel. Use power from 5th wheel battery, and control from AUX. Before mounting the 2nd controller I would hook it up in TV, hook up the trailer, and adjust the settings. Mounted in the 5th, same settings will be good.
You could get by with a 5 pin connection between the 2 trailers, but I would use the standard 7. Likely cheaper, need no change on TV to tow w/o 5th wheel, and only need 1 spare.
BTW, I understand that most of the controllers we use could control the total number of axles on both trailers. But I bet the design expects all the axles to be loaded near the same. Just hooking the other trailer to brake circuit of 5th wheel likely would slide some tires

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/21 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duke44, I have not seen what you have for a 5er or a truck. Make sure you are within your truck and trailers ratings. Be especially careful of the weight limits on the rear bumper and hitch on the trailer. Most 5ers do not have a hitch on the rear rated to tow or haul much more than a couple of bicycles.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think most factory RV hitches have a 300# tongue weight and 3,000# tow weight.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/21 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I think most factory RV hitches have a 300# tongue weight and 3,000# tow weight.

Mine is aftermarket, made for an RV , and adjustable on width to accommodated different frame width's . Mine is rated for 500# tongue , and 5,000# tow weight ,but I wouldn't go near that weight considering the light weigh of the fifth wheel frames , unless I did some bracing to the frame.

I tow a 7' x 10' single axle , 2K GVWR utility trailer behind my fifth wheel ,with a lightweight 10' inflatable pontoon boat for fishing . No issues with it other than I can't see it, other than the shadow. I need to install a camera , I would like to be able to see it . As far as the weight of the whole thing it's pretty light ,no concerns with hitch or the fifth wheel frame .

Saying all this mostly for the OP , also have a friend that tows exactly what the OP is towing behind his fifth wheel , 12' foot trailer ,and an ATV . No issues at all .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Do's and don'ts of towing a loaded 12" tandem behind 5vr??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.