cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Theodore Roosevelt National Park

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, I'm putting together ideas for our trip this next summer. After the Enchanted Highway we would like to visit the North and South sections of the park. After checking out the campgrounds and the distance between the North and South sections. I thought I should ask for ideas on how you folks did your tours of these areas. So it looks like we should do the south side first, then move to the North side. We are touring in our 26ft class C no tow. We will be doing the interior roads in our RV, if the roads are able to handle it. Should be in the area around mid-july an can spend a week or so in the area. I won't be able to make campground reservations more than 2 weeks in advance because I'm not really sure when we will be in the area.
As always your suggestions are always appreciated.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
9 REPLIES 9

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
If you are coming from Glacier, using US 2 and seeing the north unit first makes a lot of sense. It is one of the least visited parks in the entire system. There was only one campground and when we were there, only the camp host was with us. Also, they were having an anniversary of some sort and one of the rangers brought a sheet cake in to share in the visitors center. Really laid back outfit and a great place to experience the park. We enjoyed both sections but preferred the north unit.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Theodore Roosevelt National Park is interesting and something that you will enjoy. It is not one of our favorite areas but it was a good trip. If you stay in Medora there is really not a great campground. The best is probably the new city park. Pretty much a gravel parking lot. Please understand that Medora is not like visiting a real local town. It is really something that has grown over time strictly for tourists. That is why there are no grocery stores and gas stations. At the North end if you stay in town (Williston) there are really not any great campgrounds either. The commute from town to the North Park entrance is about 45 minutes. If you are going over to Glacier from there Hwy 2 is a nice ride across Montana. Enjoy.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is the Juniper campground in the north unit with 50 sites, first come first served, no reservations. You shouldnโ€™t have any problems getting around with you 26โ€™ motor home. Enjoy.

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
We were just there in September. Really enjoyed the south area. We drove up to the north the following day. We loved Medora! Went to the Chateau tour and the show at night! Visited the Cowboy museum and walked around town. Several places to eat. Went to a few other museums but already forgot their name Lol! I definitely would like to go back again!

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Medora campground - the city owned campground just added new sites in 2021,we stayed there in August. Very handy - Note the city does not have any grocery stores, just a small market also the market has maybe 2 gas pumps - the only ones in town
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The north unit was just about empty when we were up there, it does not even have a building for a visitor center just a trailer. One really different trail with massive concretions on it, giant rock marbles.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great information. We enjoy hunting down the smaller parks and monuments. Nowhere near as crowded and therefore able to get a better choice camping sites.
Our usual plan is, a couple of weeks ahead, I grab the list of campgrounds I am making up right now, and start laying out our stay.
So far I've found that reservations are accepted in the South unit but the North unit is first come first served. Both boondocking Which is fine with us!!
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm fairly sure you can boondock along the river at the North Unit. We've been to both units a couple of times and it really is a minor park. You can walk most of the trails in a day on the south and another day up north. But worth seeing, lots of Bison if the herd is in the area.

There actually is a third unit of the park where TR's old cabin was located. The Ranger we spoke to told us to forget that o, it's small, the roads are bad and there is nothing left except a foundation or two.

The roads in the other two units are fine as is the road in between. Oddly I don't recall where we camped...heh.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
If you boondock there are sites in the south park. I don't know about the north part. You won't/shouldn't have any trouble with 26' on the roads. Enjoy the wild horses, buffalo and prairie dogs. Check out Chateau de Mores State Historic Site on the south edge of Medora, you can see it from the entrance to the park