cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What food can I bring ...

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning, planning a trip to Puerto Penasco in January. Rather confusing trying to find what I can bring with me as far as food is concerned. Find a list that is current. I would like to bring a smoked turkey and raw chicken, hamburger, eggs, milk. All in their original wrappers, containers. Thank you for any info.
13 REPLIES 13

Talleyho69
Hot dogs in our opinion aren't great, but the dogs love them!

Milk, any type you want is readily available here, and in the ultra pasteurized form, including almond. Great stuff! Cold cereal (I can't eat that stuff) all of your brands are here.

Lunch meat, many types and brands are readily available, don't know for sure, we aren't close to the US border.

Cuts of meat? Learn them!!! We grill on our Weber gas BBQ probably 4 nights a week, and are always exploring what is here. Just finished some great filet mignon, we buy them whole and used to take them back to the US with us, they are so good.

Cottage cheese is now available, and from several brands including the low fat versions. (That's what we get). It's not the same as the US version, larger curd, but after a year or so without it, we keep it in the refrigerator all the time and love it.

Cheese?? OMG! Except for cheddar, we prefer the Mexican cheeses, and fortunately we are close enough to Oaxaca to get the fresh version of their cheese, not the commercial ones. We always have Oaxaca, Mancheco, Chihuahua and ground cheese (panela) in the fridge along with imported parmesan and local produced bleu cheese and brie. We LOVE our cheese!

Yes, we are foodies and at least Playaboy can attest to the fact that we work out hard enough that we aren't fatties to go with it. Sure could be though!!

Food is wonderful stuff. In a foreign country, better, because you can learn, eat, taste and explore it.

Just remember the rules as to what is legal to import!!!

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Tallyho, I am hesitant about the hot dogs, cheese, cottage cheese. Not sure about the milk, cold cereal, lunch meat, and unable to identify most cuts of meat when I have been there. It will be an adventure. I like to cook outdoors and carry a 22 inch Weber and charcoal with me.

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Playaboy, Thank you for the list. I have an appointment with my lawyer to decipher it for me. Thanks, again. I didn't see eggs, but I know I can get them there.

Talleyho69
The weenies are gross, but our dogs eat one each morning before their workout. They love the cheapest ones. I'm not a fan anyway.... Deli meats??? Shaky, but if you are here long enough, some are OK to fill the need. A smoked Oaxaca cheese, Sabori extra fina pavo (with tomato and pickles) makes an amazing sandwich!

Extra sharp cheddar is unavailable here in Zihuatanejo, but when someone actively contacts us and asks what we want, we ask for a small, about 8 ounce bar of extra sharp, not frozen if possible. It lasts us about a month in small slices that we savor!!! Other than that, Taco Bell, Burger King and Panda Express, we want for nothing.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the list of food product that are prohibited and allowed.

Annex 01. Listing of Agrifood Products and By-products for Tourist Import
A full and thorough inspection of the merchandise will be performed to detect any pests meriting quarantine, and if insect orifices or evidence of live pests are found, all the seeds shall be returned or destroyed. Containers with dirt, foliage, seeds, grains, and any other vegetable residues (official letter B00.01.01.02.03/10846 Sep-25-14) phytozoosanitary measures, among others, etc.
Their entry is allowed after a visual inspection of the products listed in paragraph FOURTH of the AGREEMENT that establishes the classification and codification of merchandise whose import is regulated by the Secretariat of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural development, Fisheries and Food, through the National Service of Food Safety And Agriculture Quality, provided they are free from pests and in amounts for personal use and consumption. Such as:
? Peeled almonds
? Peeled hazelnuts
? Roasted coffee
? Pelletized cereals
? Spices (vanilla, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, mace, amomum varieties, cardamom varieties, aniseed, coriander, fennel, ginger, saffron, turmeric, thyme, bay leaves, curry, etc.)
? Dehydrated fruits (seedless)
? Cereal, oilseed and legume flours
? Medicinal herbs (only dried)
? Dehydrated vegetables
? Ikin palm tree seeds (40 pieces maximum for personal use - informative note 76/2014:
? Seedless cashews (caju, cajuil or maraรฑon) and walnuts
? Dried pistachios (salted)
? Dehydrated tobacco Compliance with the secretariat does not waive compliance with other authorities.
? Dried mate
VEGETABLES, THEIR PRODUCTS AND BY-PRODUCTS ALLOWED FOR TOURIST IMPORT
Prohibited products:
*Land or soil
*Pots or items with vegetable sourced content.
Touristic entry of the following listed products is prohibited if the importer does not meet the requirements set forth in the following link: (https://sistemasssl.senasica.gob.mx/mcrfi/)
? Propagation materials (seeds, bulbs, slips, buds, stakes, etc.)
? Flowers, plants, vegetables and fresh fruits.
? Grains (corn, bean, rice, quinoa, wheat, sesame, sunflower, green bean, lentil, etc.)
? Green coffee and tobacco
? Fresh chestnuts
NOTE: This list is without limitation.
Considerations for entry of the following products:
? The packaging must be intact, and labeled in Spanish, English, or any other intelligible language (Italian, Portuguese, French, etc.), and sealed by the health authority.
? The products must originate from countries that have a zoosanitary requirements combination in the MCRZI: https://sistemasssl.senasica.gob.mx/mcrz/moduloConsulta.jsf.
? For countries affected by the foot-and-mouth disease, only products originating from plants authorized in the SICPA will be acceptable: https://sistemasssl.senasica.gob.mx/PlantaAcreditada/
? No hand made products are allowed.
Product Quantity Considerations
Aged cheeses
Up to 3 kg per family.
In any presentation provided the sum does not exceed the allowed quantity.
Authorized countries:
Germany, Australia, Belgium, Belarus, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Denmark, Spain, United States of America, France, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, New Zealand, Netherlands, Panama, Poland, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Sweden Switzerland, Ukraine.
Authorized countries (++ with authorized plants):
++Argentina
++Uruguay
++Peru
Butter
Up to 1 kg per family.
Cream
Up to 1 kg per family.
Yoghurt
Up to 1 l or 1 kg per family or 12 drinkable containers of 12 oz. each.
Pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized liquid milk
Up to 1 gal (3.78 l) per family
Condensed milk
Up to 1 l or 3 cans or Tetra Pak type containers of 12 fl oz. per family.
Powdered milk
Up to 2 kg per family in one or multiple packages provided they do not exceed the allowed weight.
Canned/packaged and labeled breastmilk substitute (infant formula)
Up to 5 kg per family.
The package must be intact and labeled. However, the entry of opened milk containers or individual portions or milk is allowed only if accompanying the nursing baby.
ANIMAL PRODUCTS AND BYPRODUCTS FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION
DAIRY PRODUCTS:
Product Quantity Authorized countries:
Serrano ham or aged shoulders originating from plants authorized by SAGARPA.
Up to 5 kg for individual packages or 1 shoulder (whole and in its original packaging) per family.
Canada, Spain, USA, Italy and France.
Aged cured meats originating from plants authorized by SAGARPA.
Up to 5 kg per family in one or multiple packages provided it does not exceed the allowed weight.
Canada, Spain, USA and Italy.
Thermally processed poultry and pork cured meats packaged, labeled and sealed by the appropriate health authority.
Up to 5 kg per family in one or multiple packages provided it does not exceed the allowed weight.
Germany, Chile, Denmark, Canada, Spain, USA and Italy.
Packaged and labeled dry beef.
Up to 500 g per family.
Australia, Canada, Chile, USA, New Zealand, Panama and Japan.
Turkey meat or smoked chickens.
Up to 6 kg or 1 to 3 whole pieces per family, provided they do not exceed the allowed weight.
Chile, USA and Canada.
Canned/bottled and labeled pรขtรฉ from any species.
Up to 1 kg or 5 pieces of 12 oz. each, per family.
Germany, Canada, Spain, USA, France.
Wholly processed food preparations with meat content from any species (except ruminants) including any of the following consumables: eggs, honey and dairy packaged and labeled products. Examples: stuffed pasta, cheesecake, pรขtรฉs (foie gras, mousse, pรขtรฉ parfait).
The entry of products containing bovine meat or similar is prohibited, for example: meatballs, lasagna, ravioli, etc.
Up to 4 kg per family.
Canada, Chile, Spain, USA, France, Guatemala and Italy.
Natural bottled honey.
1 l or 64 fl oz.
Brazil, USA and France.
MEAT PRODUCTS:
Product Quantity Authorized countries:
Dry and humid, packaged and labeled balanced foods. No ruminant origin content. (For pets, cats and dogs.)
One 50 lbs. bag per family or its equivalent in kg (22). It can be in a single package or up to two, provided it does not exceed the allowed quantity. Only the daily ration accompanying the pet is acceptable for unpackaged products.
Canada, USA, France, Australia, Hungary and New Zealand.
Packaged and labeled animal sourced candy. No ruminant origin contents.
(For pets, cats and dogs.)
Up to 10 lbs. or 5 kg per individual or family.
Only the daily ration accompanying the pet is acceptable for unpackaged products.
USA, Canada and Chile.
PRODUCTS FOR ANIMAL CONSUMPTION:
Prohibited products:
?Fresh meat of any species.
?Balanced food for any species (except for cats and dogs.)
?Balanced food for cats and dogs with bovine, ovine and caprine meat.
?Sandwiches, snacks, sub sandwiches, hamburgers, pizzas, etc. with meat and dairy content without intact packaging or sanitary seal from the competent authority.
?Pharmaceutical, chemical and biological products for animal use or consumption, or those products designated for therapeutic or research purposes.
?Fresh cheeses.
?Homemade or hand made products are not allowed.
?Campero (fried) type chicken.
?Untanned leather products.
?Pots or items with animal sourced content.
?Garments with animal bones, skin and feathers.
?Handicrafts made of carver or polished horns or bones.
?Hunting trophies (mounted, fresh, salted, etc.)
?Any regulated animal species (except cats and dogs.)
?Containers with animals or animal remains (blood, feathers, bones, carcasses, etc.)
?Bull fighting, charro horsemanship and bull riding garments and accessories if they are stained with animal blood or remains of tissue; its entry will be allowed if they are completely clean, disinfected, and sanitized at the point of entry.
Product Quantity Considerations
Frozen or iced fresh fish in any presentation (whole, filleted or cut in pieces.)
Entry allowed for personal consumption.
Properly packaged for personal consumption, adequately preserved in an ice box with coolants and/or ice without spills or leaks.
Dried, freeze dried, cooked or smoked fish in any presentation (whole, filleted or cut in pieces.)
Properly packaged for personal consumption. Without signs of decomposition or the presence of pests.
Canned or bottled fish (pรขtรฉ, muscles, etc.) Labelled, indicating the type of prepared fish, expiration or preferred consumption date.
All countries and species, (including fish roe, caviar.)
Fish products in other presentations (sauce, dry bone, crusts, etc.)
All countries and species, (including fish roe, caviar.)
Squid, octopus, *winkles, sea cucumber and oysters, fresh in any presentation (whole, filleted or cut in pieces), frozen or iced.
Properly packaged for personal consumption, adequately preserved in an ice box with coolants and/or ice without spills or leaks.
*Jointly regulated with PROFEPA.
Dry, freeze dried, cooked or smoked squid, octopus, *winkles, sea cucumber and oysters, fresh in any presentation.
Squid, octopus, *winkles, sea cucumber and oyster products in other presentations (sauce, crusts, etc.)
Foods prepared for human consumption.
Dry, brined or smoked oysters.
Properly packaged for personal consumption. Without signs of decomposition or the presence of pests.
All cooked crustaceans in any presentation (whole, tail, legs, etc.)
Seafood products in other presentations (sauce, condiments, dressings, crust, etc.)
Combined raw and/or cooked seafood combos (seafood meals.)
Fresh, dried or brined seaweeds in any presentation.
AQUACULTURE PRODUCTS
Prohibited products:
?Live, raw or dried crustaceans.
?Aquaculture products for animal consumption.
?Fish.
?Live turtles.
?Regulated aquatic sourced products in poor condition and/or decomposing and/or with the presences of larvae or insects.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Smoked turkeys are available. mexican smoked pork chops are delicious and cheap/ Why would you want to bring milk. There are some excellent brands of UHT milk that need no refrigeration. whole, 2% and fat free. Even lactose free. The yoghurts are great. Especially Danone. bachoco chicken breast are very inexpensive and better than in the states. You can get hamburger so lean you cannot make patties. Eggs are everywhere. One thing lacking is decent cold cuts. The wieners are gross. Bologna also not good. There are some good sliced hams. Sliced roast beef is hard to find. Soft drinks are full of sugar. About double compared to the US. Jumex juice is also very good. Be adventurous.

Talleyho69
Chicken wings are readily available anywhere.

We have always felt that traveling is an adventure, and the food part can often be the best. We have lived full time in Mexico now for over 4 years, and still find things that we have no clue about. Be it in the mercado, walking the streets, or even in the chain supermarkets, there are always new, unknown items. When it is from other than the supermarket, it's fun to learn the name, what to do with it, where it comes from, then go home and read even more.

LOVE traveling and new experiences, especially in Mexico!!

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
I've been going to Rocky Point for over 30 years and I have never had any problem with any food items. I cross at Lukeville/Sonoyta and used to stop in Sonoyta to replenish the booze stock. As for the earlier question as to why anyone would bring food, I bring what I like and eat what I bring. Having said that I also eat a lot of meals from the palapa restaurants and food carts. Excellent food at remarkable prices.
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, I have been to Puerto Penasco several times and to the grocery store and DSams several times each visit. But some of the same products in Mexico that I eat at home do not always taste the same. I won't be there long enough to acquire the taste. I do all I can to support the economy there, but some products I want to bring from home, chicken wings, I have never seen smoked turkey or any smoked meat there. Thank you all.

Talleyho69
They always managed to board us there and go through us pretty thoroughly, looking for and taking the above mentioned items.

Mexican grocery stores are fun!!!! Smoked turkeys are available any time non smoked turkeys are, and we have been able to purchase them in pieces, just like non smoked. Realize that since COVID, we haven't seen turkeys here at all. Maybe this year!

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Been going to Penasco for 10 years and not one time has the refer door been opened by the Mexican authorities. They have opened my booze locker and never said a word. They look in some cabinets checking (not to hard) for drugs and weapons.

You can purchase everything you mentioned with the exception of the smoked turkey in Mexico. They aren't back woods like a lot of people think Mexico is.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Everything you mentioned can be bought in Mexico. You are not helping the Mexican economy by bringing in American food. I can understand someone bringing in their favorite snack os some exotic item. But milk,eggs, chicken ,hamburger. That should be illegal. Why bother coming to Mexico!!

Talleyho69
https://rockypoint360.com/what-food-can-i-bring-across-the-border-into-mexico/

Although this is not an "official" list by the Mexican government, it's good.

As much as we always preferred to cross the border in both directions at Lukeville/Sonoyta, they are real sticklers about what you can take into Mexico. They searched us a number of times going in.

Fortunately almost anything can be purchased in Mexico so we found the list to be easy to comply with.

Smoked turkeys are easy to get too.